Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" lift, Alignment issues, pulling

Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 3" lift, Alignment issues, pulling

Hi,

Just installed my 3" lift with 31" tires and am so happy with MOST of it. New LCA are longer, but non-adjustable, supposed to be for my lift range. New Adjustable track bar. New steering damper. I also did the ZJ tie-rod upgrade while I was in there. Nothing seems weird and install wasn't too difficult. This Jeep was my daily driver prior to the lift, not real alignment issues. I mean, you wouldn't let go of the wheel on the highway or anything, but nothing noticeable around town.

I took it to a well known franchise mechanic for an alignment immediately after the lift. They got the steering wheel straight (I could have done that), and I guess they set the toe-in. Now the Jeep pulls to the right. Nothing crazy, but it is uncomfortable. I have to hold the wheel slightly left to go straight. I began to worry that maybe I adjusted the track bar incorrectly. I'm not sure if that would do it, but I kinda could see how that could be a symptom. So I tried measuring and adjusting again, and, same thing.

!st, tell me if my method for centering the trackbar makes sense. I center the steering (by driving back and forth, not by the wheel). Then I take a straight edge against the tire, through the imaginary center of the hub, and use a ruler to measure the distance to my fender on each side. I tried the plumb-bob way, but my lugs on the tires are all different (BF KO2's) so it was too tricky. I also tried to find the center of the axle line it up with the center, but the motor is offset and I struggled... Is there an easier, more accurate way?

Also, let's say the shop did a good job (I'm sure they did whatever the computer told them), what else could be sending me into the ditch? There doesn't seem to be any 4x4 specific shops near me or that's where I'd go. My regular garage is good, not cheap, but I don't think they're into anything being modified.

Thanks! Gotta get this thing going straight on the road so I can get off of it, if that makes sense...
Old 06-19-2019, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

To center the axle all you have to do is measure from the inside of the tire to the same point on the body on both sides. For you toe in adjustment it should be 1/8-3/16".
Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Have you checked your tire psi? If one is low, it will pull.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the tips. I re-adjusted the track bar measuring as suggested. I need to drive a bit more, but feels better. Will check tire pressure too.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:40 PM

Nope. Re-adjusted track bar, and tire pressure all at 30. Still pulling to the left. I notice it more when going slowly. The effects are slightly negated at speed, but I still have to hold the wheel a bit left to go straight. Annoying. I'm getting a new windshield next week, after which I need to bring it to my regular shop for inspection. I can ask them to re-align it.

I'm open to other suggestions of things to check. I do remember matching up the new lower control arms, and they were identical.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Maybe you have a caliper dragging? They are known to wear grooves where the pads slide. Lift each wheel off the ground and spin the tire. Maybe you will find one thats harder to spin then the others.

Do you have a printout of your last alignment that you can post? And have you measure from the center of the rear wheels to the center of the front wheels on both sides making sure they are the same?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Maybe you have a caliper dragging? They are known to wear grooves where the pads slide. Lift each wheel off the ground and spin the tire. Maybe you will find one thats harder to spin then the others.

Do you have a printout of your last alignment that you can post? And have you measure from the center of the rear wheels to the center of the front wheels on both sides making sure they are the same?
5-Speed, I thought you may be on to something. When I was doing the lift, I also did the ball-joints. Drivers side rotor was ok. The passenger side had deep scoring and minimal pad remaining. I've owned this xj for less than a year, so I don't know the history. I replaced the rotors and pads after seeing the wear. I just went out to check, jacked up front and tried to feel it, but both sides feel the same. I did some driving and aggressive braking too, same feel. Some pad drag, but not excessive. Rear I loosened the e-brake cable because I had tightened it (ax-15, so I use my e-brake), but actually the driver's side felt just a slight more drag. Both the same now.

No, they didn't give a printout, just the bill.

Originally Posted by 00t444e
To center the axle all you have to do is measure from the inside of the tire to the same point on the body on both sides. For you toe in adjustment it should be 1/8-3/16".
I measured my toe in at 1/16, but that was me, quickly in the driveway alone. I could have been off.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Always get a print out of the alignment...so you can compare before & after...you can also see what they did & didn't change.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
Always get a print out of the alignment...so you can compare before & after...you can also see what they did & didn't change.
Thanks, now I know. I'm done with that franchise...
Old 07-05-2019, 07:47 AM

Ok, so after saying I was done with this franchise, I was given a 1 month wait time for my trusted garage for an appointment. I needed state inspection and tires balanced (again), and didn't want to wait. So I took it back and asked them to double check the alignment. I didn't tell them that I had adjusted the track bar since the 1st alignment and re-adjusted the tie rod to straighten my steering wheel. They said it was a little off so they re-did it. I didn't touch the drag link, so I don't know why the toe would change. Anyway, please see the printout I got this time. It shows before and after.

Toe is now good again, but caster is off. 9.5 degrees on the Left front, 8.5 front right. Could this difference be contributing to my pulling right? I asked the shop about it, and they gave me an explanation about it is just a jeep characteristic. I'm sceptical. They said it has to do with the road crowning for drainage. I get that, I've felt it, but that is a very gentle coast to the right in my experience with other vehicles. I've got more than that going on.

I've read that the ideal caster is more like 5-7.5 degrees. Now I wish I went with adjustable LCA. Should I start looking into shims, or start saving for some adjustables?
Old 07-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

I never trust these alignment shops, unless it's a guy I personally know. I always do my own alignments on these XJ's. It's not hard to do, just requires some patience and maybe a helper once in a while.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:10 PM

A little reading online tells me that the vehicle will pull to the side with less caster. I may try a shim on the passenger side and see if it feels a little better.

Thanks for the input everybody!