Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XJ Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2001 XJ Header Install

Hi all,
Working on putting a new head on and I figured I'd put new headers on while I'm in there. What has me stuck now is removing the four bolts that connect my old exhaust manifold to the pre-cats (california emissions). I can't get a socket on them, and they're so rusted that none of my wrenches fit. I've tried soaking them with kroil and using any means necessary but the angles just won't work with me. Any tips on removing them? I'd rather not cut it and throw sparks around the engine bay
Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Also, I tried I bolting the exhaust pipe and pulling the whole thing through but that is just as rusty, if not more so
Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I would suggest disconnecting the exhaust system as best you can and installing your new headers. Then take your Jeep to a good, local exhaust shop and let them connect it. If you have to cut the old system, so be it. Some sparks in the engine compartment should be no big deal as long as you're careful to cover any rubber hoses.

For years I tried working with old exhaust systems at home. It was an exercise in futility and I simply don't do it any more. You can kill yourself working underneath with jack stands and get nowhere. A good exhaust shop can easily fix this stuff and fix it right. They can cut out any rusted pieces and weld in new.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Klutch
I would suggest disconnecting the exhaust system as best you can and installing your new headers. Then take your Jeep to a good, local exhaust shop and let them connect it. If you have to cut the old system, so be it. Some sparks in the engine compartment should be no big deal as long as you're careful to cover any rubber hoses. For years I tried working with old exhaust systems at home. It was an exercise in futility and I simply don't do it any more. You can kill yourself working underneath with jack stands and get nowhere. A good exhaust shop can easily fix this stuff and fix it right. They can cut out any rusted pieces and weld in new.
Thanks for the reply! Ended up cutting the exhaust pipe right behind the flange. Going to find a shop to do it right. Also need to find someone with extremely small hands to finish bolting up the manifolds. Limped home and shut her off