Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XJ 4.5in Lift Questions

Old 07-23-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L
Question 2001 XJ 4.5in Lift Questions

Hey all,
Just started to install my Rough Country 4.5in Suspension lift this last weekend. Ran into a little stump.
First of all, I got my kit with a completely new leaf pack, instead of the additional leaf that I would add to my existing pack. However, when we tried to place the new pack into my stock shackles, we had some trouble. Seemed like the new pack wasn't long enough to reach the existing shackles. I read online that I'd need to attach the new pack to my axle, and then jack the axle up until the leaf connects to the shackle. Does that sound right at all? I thought my kit would come with new extended shackles. Hm. Let me know if that's the correct way to do it. Rough Country stated that the kit would fit on my factory shackles.

Thanks!
CJ
Old 07-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You should be able to seat the leaf pack on the perch and get it into position with the jack and a little muscle. Are you trying to hold it with one hand and put the bolt in with the other? Much easier to have it resting on the axle while getting it into position. The pack should be long enough, Can you move the shackle in the shackle box to push it forward a bit to help you? The only reason you would have extended shackles would be if you wanted more than 4.5" lift which it doesn't sound like you bargained for. Good luck! PS If you have control arms to replace in the front then expect more of this axle man handling to line up your bolt holes.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cjvickroy
Hey all,
Just started to install my Rough Country 4.5in Suspension lift this last weekend. Ran into a little stump.
First of all, I got my kit with a completely new leaf pack, instead of the additional leaf that I would add to my existing pack. However, when we tried to place the new pack into my stock shackles, we had some trouble. Seemed like the new pack wasn't long enough to reach the existing shackles. I read online that I'd need to attach the new pack to my axle, and then jack the axle up until the leaf connects to the shackle. Does that sound right at all? I thought my kit would come with new extended shackles. Hm. Let me know if that's the correct way to do it. Rough Country stated that the kit would fit on my factory shackles.

Thanks!
CJ
Rough country's quality shines again lol....this is a very common issue with rough county leafs. Other brands ive had issues with as well, but rc ALWAYS gives me issues when installing their product's.....a little muscle and a jack should get you where you need to be