Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 jeep cherokee sport 6.5"lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 jeep cherokee sport 6.5"lift

I want to put a 6.5inch lift on my 2000 jeep cherokee sport. I decided on rough country's 6.5 with yoke slip eliminator and cv drive axel with a sport steering stabalizer. What else would i need to complete this? And what is the long arm kit? Does it just allow for more articulation then stock?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

Long arms allow more articulation than short arms because when you lift a jeep the control arm angles get steeper and with long arms they go from the cross member to the axle so there's a better angle. A steering stabilizer wouldn't be a necessity but an sye and cv drive shaft are.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0l

Man i just completed my 6.5 in rc lift ( not longarm) today... Worked on the back yesterday till i ran out of daylight... Heres the deal. Be prepaird for a lot of work...
Getting the bolts off the front control arms were a nightmare. I actual had to cut one of them in the bottom d/s c/a. But the front actualy took less time then the back. Wich i though was odd cuz u would think it would be the otherway around. The lift came with everything that was needed exept good install instructions.
They are not verry detailed instructions.. my advice is to have a good 2-3 ppl with some good mechanics background to help you. And have a few days aside for install.. i did the back first and then the front. Dropped one leafspring at a time and reinstalled that way. And the same for the front.. get urself a pitment arm tool there like 15 bux at a auto parts store. And a good cutting wheel to. Cuz if ur truck was anything like mine the pitment arm was a royal pain. I wound up having to cut it so i could get it off.. i cut the pitment arm right down the side in the same direction as the stearing shaft came out... It cracked it just enough to releave pressure to pull it off.. i tried heating it and no luck. So i would take a torch to it first and see if it comes off.. i broke 3 pitment tools and a 5 ton pulling tool before i desides to just cut the dam thing.... Thats all i got for ya man good luck and let me know how ya make out.. i have some picks of my build that may help and am uploading more when i get a chance.... O one more thing.... Pb blaster and lots of it... Spray every bolt and let it sit and do it agen and agen.. up till ur ready for the install. If u need some help with anything pm me cuz like i said i just put the same lift on mine today..
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 AM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by itsajoopthing87
Man i just completed my 6.5 in rc lift ( not longarm) today... Worked on the back yesterday till i ran out of daylight... Heres the deal. Be prepaird for a lot of work...
Getting the bolts off the front control arms were a nightmare. I actual had to cut one of them in the bottom d/s c/a. But the front actualy took less time then the back. Wich i though was odd cuz u would think it would be the otherway around. The lift came with everything that was needed exept good install instructions.
They are not verry detailed instructions.. my advice is to have a good 2-3 ppl with some good mechanics background to help you. And have a few days aside for install.. i did the back first and then the front. Dropped one leafspring at a time and reinstalled that way. And the same for the front.. get urself a pitment arm tool there like 15 bux at a auto parts store. And a good cutting wheel to. Cuz if ur truck was anything like mine the pitment arm was a royal pain. I wound up having to cut it so i could get it off.. i cut the pitment arm right down the side in the same direction as the stearing shaft came out... It cracked it just enough to releave pressure to pull it off.. i tried heating it and no luck. So i would take a torch to it first and see if it comes off.. i broke 3 pitment tools and a 5 ton pulling tool before i desides to just cut the dam thing.... Thats all i got for ya man good luck and let me know how ya make out.. i have some picks of my build that may help and am uploading more when i get a chance.... O one more thing.... Pb blaster and lots of it... Spray every bolt and let it sit and do it agen and agen.. up till ur ready for the install. If u need some help with anything pm me cuz like i said i just put the same lift on mine today..
did you tighten the leaf bolts while it was still jacked up, or did you doit once on the ground. im getting ready to do my lift soon too. sory o/p dont want to jack ur post.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 AM

Will i need a trans drop kit too? I have air tools. But last time was just a 3inch lift jeep always had sticky bolts.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by OEJ

did you tighten the leaf bolts while it was still jacked up, or did you doit once on the ground. im getting ready to do my lift soon too. sory o/p dont want to jack ur post.
I did it while it was jacked up used a jack to lift the rear up or down to get everytying in... And also very importand... The control arms ar ajusable make sure u mesure the so there the same or ur diff will be all outta wack.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

you need to put it back in the air, loosen the leaf spring and shackle bolts, sit it back on the ground and then tighten them to spec
Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

you need to put it back in the air, loosen the leaf spring and shackle bolts, sit it back on the ground and then tighten them to spec.

thats what i thought? the front and rear suspension should be tightened at ride height because it will wear out the bushings faster. it hought iread that before.

thankyou Mister 2045 and posts...

Last edited by OEJ; 09-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.