Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" budget boost issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2" budget boost issues

My old rear leafs were sagging pretty bad. So I decided to replace them with some rugged ridge HD leafs. While I was at it I decided I'd do a 2'' lift (pucks up front, shackles in the rear). The problem I'm having is the rear leafs still look flat with minimal arc. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Year: 2000

Well, if they're worn out, the best thing to do is replace them...It's only a couple hundre bucks (I know, I know...Not really pocket change but still). Shackles on the stock springs sometimes (I hear) tend to push the springs flat instead of pushing the rest of the Jeep up...Add a leafs sag in a short amount of time, especially if your original leafs are shot. They also ride rough. I'd just get a set of 2" leaf packs or HD ones, as they sometimes give an inch or 2 of lift, which you could add possibly 1" shackles to, if they only give 1"...It's all kinda modular aha.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
Well, if they're worn out, the best thing to do is replace them...It's only a couple hundre bucks (I know, I know...Not really pocket change but still). Shackles on the stock springs sometimes (I hear) tend to push the springs flat instead of pushing the rest of the Jeep up...Add a leafs sag in a short amount of time, especially if your original leafs are shot. They also ride rough. I'd just get a set of 2" leaf packs or HD ones, as they sometimes give an inch or 2 of lift, which you could add possibly 1" shackles to, if they only give 1"...It's all kinda modular aha.

I believe I've done what you've described, I'll type this again, I've bought and installed NEW HD stock springs from rugged ridge. Now that I've added longer shackles, my leafs are still flat. Is this typical?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

If they arent lift springs then yes that is normal for XJ leafs. Bottom line did you get the height/stance you wanted? If so dont worry about it.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
If they arent lift springs then yes that is normal for XJ leafs. Bottom line did you get the height/stance you wanted? If so dont worry about it.
Yes, between new leafs and the longer shackles, they gave me exactly a 2'' lift. I just wanted to make sure these are the effects others had seen.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

A budget 3" lift with full leaf packs and new coils from Rustys Off Road would have a much better deal plus you get new shocks and u-bolts to boot. His are VG quality leafs and coils both American made not like a lot of them and they are the main cost of any kit.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Rcrivolio
My old rear leafs were sagging pretty bad. So I decided to replace them with some rugged ridge HD leafs. While I was at it I decided I'd do a 2'' lift (pucks up front, shackles in the rear). The problem I'm having is the rear leafs still look flat with minimal arc. What are your thoughts?
It's normal. What happened was that the leafs, even though they are Hd, are soft plus there's only 4 and the space between the main leaf and second leaf leaves a weak spot. The extended shackled are trying to extended and doing so they put more force on the soft leafs. This is why I say to stay away from ****ty pucks and shackles and do it right. I went that route and wasted money. Do a bastard pack instead.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

OP already has what he has and what he is experiencing is normal. XJ leafs do not have much arch by design to begin with.

I run a 3 leaf bastard pack myself that only has a slight arch. Coupled with relocators and shackles it gives me the lift I needed (4.5-5") and rides good.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
OP already has what he has and what he is experiencing is normal. XJ leafs do not have much arch by design to begin with. I run a 3 leaf bastard pack myself that only has a slight arch. Coupled with relocators and shackles it gives me the lift I needed (4.5-5") and rides good.
That's what I'm running. 3" coils upfront and the rear is an AAL bastard pack (I put an xj main as the second lead for extra "strength") plus the relocators bracket and boomerang shackles. I have about 5" in the rear but it's rides good. When they wear out I'm doing 3.5" RC leafs
Old 01-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
A budget 3" lift with full leaf packs and new coils from Rustys Off Road would have a much better deal plus you get new shocks and u-bolts to boot. His are VG quality leafs and coils both American made not like a lot of them and they are the main cost of any kit.
I plan to do a 4.5 lift after I move down south a year from now. I need to tow a trailer for the move and wanted to keep it as close to stock for now as I could bare. I might have just gone with full 3 inch packs but I got a smokin deal on the rugged ridge ones and I figured if I f*ck up another set of leafs during this tow, might as well be the cheap ones.

Either way, between the new packs and the shackles I got back to stock ride plus 2''. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I should be looking into before I continue to drive.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I understand now your reasoning for what you chose to do.

When I went from a 3" Rustys lift to a 4 1/2" lift I kept the rear leafs and used Boomerang Shackles because it gives more flex than a standard leaf pack in the rear and new coils in the front.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:31 AM

After I did my lift I noticed some drive line vibrations. I assumed it was my ujoints since they were already needing replacement and the increased driveshaft angle just made that worse. I've gone ahead and replaced them but I'm still getting vibrations at low speeds. Once I'm going over 30mph everything is fine. Under 30mph, there is a constant rumble that goes away when I let off the gas. Any thoughts on a reasonably cheap and easy fix for this? Would axle shims be a good idea?