Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 xj leaf pack suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 xj leaf pack suggestion

Hi guys, I've got the rubicon express 3.5 lift with 30s.

The add a leaf set up lasted a little bit, ride sucks, going flat.

Just got different shocks, rides better.

Going to change leaf packs.

I see the pro comp 3.5 packs for around 110 each.

Any others I should look at for my lift size, for a good ride,mild off roading lots of freeway.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I'm a big fan of IRO, just make sure you have a good shackle angle. That's what gives you either a rough or softer ride.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the RE Leaf pack.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Hands down OME leaf packs. They will give you the lift you need as well.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Rustys has a very good ride with his 3" full leaf/coil (American made one of very few) package and reasonable price. You also get a choice of coil springs one if you have a winch/bumper combo and another set for without same height just better ride. The leafs have a better angle also making for a better ride and holds up to heavy loads, or mine have for over 3 yrs. anyway.

I'm still using this base package for my now 4 1/2" lift using 1 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, new coils.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

I've heard the RE 3.5" lift is really closer to 4.5". I would be concerned about matching height front to rear if it were me.

OME cs033RA leafs are supposed to be around 4.5".....you can also remove one leaf to drop it down to around 3.5., but I would bet the full pack will be close to what you need. These are supposed to be your best ride.

3.5 RE leafs wouldn't be a bad choice either. The would match your 3.5 RE coils. This would be my choice.

I think Rusty's 3" leafs would be sitting lower than the RE coils in the front. You might need the shackles like Fred has to level it out. Funny on the website it lists his lift with full leaf packs at 3", but buying the leaf packs seperately 3.5"

just my .2c

Last edited by mikesignal; 03-28-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikesignal
I've heard the RE 3.5" lift is really closer to 4.5". I would be concerned about matching height front to rear if it were me.

OME cs033RA leafs are supposed to be around 4.5".....you can also remove one leaf to drop it down to around 3.5., but I would bet the full pack will be close to what you need. These are supposed to be your best ride.

3.5 RE leafs wouldn't be a bad choice either. The would match your 3.5 RE coils. This would be my choice.

I think Rusty's 3" leafs would be sitting lower than the RE coils in the front. You might need the shackles like Fred has to level it out. Funny on the website it lists his lift with full leaf packs at 3", but buying the leaf packs seperately 3.5"

just my .2c
Yeah see this is the type of stuff I'm worried about. I'm acquainted well with the guys here at 4wheel so of course the pro comp 3.5 are in my face, I have pro comp pro runner shocks and they seem good so far, but I don't know about the leaf packs. These guys know I won't fart around if I don't like them, and I kind of wanted to check other brands but I keep running into the spec truth versus advertised issue like you mention.

I want no more sag.
I want no modifying if possible.
Good ride.
Not too high to need a TC drop or SY job.
Do the pro comps suck.

By the way thanks to all of you.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do it once, do it right.
RE FTW.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Do it once, do it right. RE FTW.
Although i do agree with you 100%, and thats what I'm buying when my bastard AAL lift sags, but OP, if you don't wanna deal with SYE and such, get OME 2" full packs. If it isn't high enough for you then get dakota shackles or any other 1" lift shackle. But best bet no matter whAt you do, do it so youre not spending money a third time since you already wasted money on the AAL
Old 03-28-2015, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Although i do agree with you 100%, and thats what I'm buying when my bastard AAL lift sags, but OP, if you don't wanna deal with SYE and such, get OME 2" full packs. If it isn't high enough for you then get dakota shackles or any other 1" lift shackle. But best bet no matter whAt you do, do it so youre not spending money a third time since you already wasted money on the AAL
Well at least the aal lasted a couple years, but the sagging rear and rough ride are getting to me now.

What is a realistic price for sye installed?

I would really like to do that anyways because I can remember when these were not sagging I got a touch of vibration now and then.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 762x39
Well at least the aal lasted a couple years, but the sagging rear and rough ride are getting to me now. What is a realistic price for sye installed? I would really like to do that anyways because I can remember when these were not sagging I got a touch of vibration now and then.
Every state will be different for an SYE install. Best to ask in your region to be honest. As for the leafs, I have an AAL along with added XJ leafs that make up my pack. Rides rough, which i don't mind but yea they can last but definitely a new pack is golden. I say if you have driveway space, watch a video on doing an SYE install.

I did the IRO hack n tap to my 231. Installed real easy.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:57 PM

Every state will be different for an SYE install. Best to ask in your region to be honest. As for the leafs, I have an AAL along with added XJ leafs that make up my pack. Rides rough, which i don't mind but yea they can last but definitely a new pack is golden. I say if you have driveway space, watch a video on doing an SYE install.

I did the IRO hack n tap to my 231. Installed real easy.
Thanks. Yeah I would do it myself but the deeper I go on this jeep the more I gotta watch my time and accuracy since I only have the one vehicle and drive it all over for work.

I'll do some more research.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 PM

Thanks. Yeah I would do it myself but the deeper I go on this jeep the more I gotta watch my time and accuracy since I only have the one vehicle and drive it all over for work.

I'll do some more research.
Not that I don't do most my work, I just sketch on doing something for my first time on the one, but who knows.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Not that I don't do most my work, I just sketch on doing something for my first time on the one, but who knows.
Hell, ive been ***** deep in my jeep once changing the radiator. Couldn't get the tranny line out. Whole jeep was apart 8oclock at night. After walking to AA and couldn't find the right tool, had to put jeep back together until another day
Old 03-29-2015, 02:07 AM

Hell, ive been ***** deep in my jeep once changing the radiator. Couldn't get the tranny line out. Whole jeep was apart 8oclock at night. After walking to AA and couldn't find the right tool, had to put jeep back together until another day
Yeah I did the radiator on mine too, remember it being an irritating evening lol.