Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 XJ 4wd with RUST

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 1998 XJ 4wd with RUST

I have barley any rocker panels, a oil pan leak, radiator leak, a squeeling belt up front, and rust holes in my shocks, springs, leaf springs, control arms, steering stabalizer, you name it. it needs to be replaced underneath.

I paid 2300 cash. it had 121,000 miles, it has good tires 31 inch kuhmos.

Is my jeep worth keeping? or fixing? Fix what first?? I heard the underneath is dangerous. HELLO :O.

And should i mud with a rusty underneath? Will it be dangerous?

One more question. WHAT LIFT CAN I GET WITH ALL MY SUSPENSION NEEDED FOR under 1000 dollars i looked the the rubicon it was like 1200 bucks. without Shocks

Body = good condition could use some new flares. Its a 5 speed. thank you i need some help.

NOTE- I dont need add a leaf, I HAVE BARLEY A DAMN LEAF. hahaha thanks guys

Last edited by Joesjeep; 02-08-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

IMO u paid WAY to much for a rust bucket... but thats me. your allready into it 2300 bucks so i would fix it. i would start by welding up the floor if u have holes in it.. i forgot.. i would look at all the mounting points of your suspension and see if any of the brackets are rusted through. if they are this is gonna be a long build
Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

i would keep it. But we need more pics. Gonna be a pain but most cherokees are barely holding together too!! Look at Rough Country 4.5 lift, great price and does really well. Just take it slow and reaplace what you can now and work to build a bad *** cherokee
Old 02-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Engine: I6 4.0 HO

sorry to hear about the rust, that blows. do what u can, make it safe.
as far as lifts go rough country makes great lifts at affordable prices.

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_susp...lift_kits.html

good luck!!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM

im thank ful for everyones help,

Few updates

- No rust on the floor panels. or holes

its just basically every suspension component possibly underneath.

I HEARD- getting new shocks and running with bad leafs and control arms will just ruin the shocks? is it true or are they just trying to get my money out of me for doing the whole thing?

ALSO HAS SOME SURFACE RUST ON MY MOUNTS UNDERNEATH. NO HOLES
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM

sweet no holes is a + your allready like 50 steps ahead of me.. ok another queastion. is this gonna be a daily driver or more of a toy/trail jeep? if u dont need to drive it for about a week you can try to take everything off ( suspension wise) and get a better peak at everything.. then the work is already half done for a new lift
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM

its going to be a everyday jeep that i take to the woods every weekend or so. ( florida woods, not really hills and all.)

Is it safe to drive with my rust on my leafs springs and shocks? and will getting the parts one step at a time be pointless?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM

were all gonna need some more pictures of the rust to determine but off what your saying. it sounds just like surface rust. thats what im getting from this. you should be fine. but getting parts one at a time is gonna be more expensive than a kit will be.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994

ok, I think u are overworring, You do know that pretty much every jeep in the world older then a couple years ago have rust on suspension parts? They all come with cheap paint and just get rusty. It is normal. As long as the metal isnt rusting through or falling apart, its not a big deal really.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM

that is true ^, I definently need rocker panels. Mine are completly torn and half way gone.

Besides that.
My front left shock has a hole = what im worrying about.

my neighbor is one of those " get the 1300 dollar cause its 1300" he told me today that if it get all 4 new shocks and a steering stablizer. that my rust on my leaf springs and all with tear up my new shocks. Faulty? or true.

i just want a jeep with a front bumper, roof rack, k&n intake and i cant do that cause of my suspension. im 16 btw. everyone. making 7.25 an hr.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Joesjeep
its going to be a everyday jeep that i take to the woods every weekend or so. ( florida woods, not really hills and all.)

Is it safe to drive with my rust on my leafs springs and shocks? and will getting the parts one step at a time be pointless?
Have you pulled your carpet up to make sure of your no rust theory? My jeep close to fred flinstones ride lol but all my suspension axles etc where fine. mounts are still structurally their. but once i pulled the carpet i noticed WAY more rust than i had anticipated.Thought it was a quater size hole here and their but was o so wrong. But id judge the amount of rust on your suspension. If you smack it with a hammer and chunks fly everywhere.. Id think twice about driving. If it just minor rust and seems structurally all their your prolly good to go.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM

My front left shock has a hole = what im worrying about.

my neighbor is one of those " get the 1300 dollar cause its 1300" he told me today that if it get all 4 new shocks and a steering stablizer. that my rust on my leaf springs and all with tear up my new shocks. Faulty? or true.
how will rust on a spring effect the shock? maybe if it was extreme rust and the leaf was about snap. but i would just buy new shocks, you should be fine but again i havent seen the rust situation
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Yeah my leaf's have surface rust and are spreading apart? Idk, he is full of it. But where can i get some decent set of 4 shocks and some rocker panels!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Yeah my leaf's have surface rust and are spreading apart? Idk, he is full of it. But where can i get some decent set of 4 shocks and some rocker panels!
if your gonna lift it pretty soon, like within the next year or so, i would just get some plain jane shocks from NAPA for cheap they work just fine. search on here using the search tool how people have fixed there rusted out rocker panels. they are pretty sweet.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7

I don't think surface rust on your leaves is too big of a worry. Now if its swiss-cheese-esque, like you said originally, you better start biting some bullets pretty soon or not drive 'er.

And put some pictures up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1998 XJ 4wd with RUST