International This area is for all our fellow wheelers outside of the US. So now Canada and other countries have their own area.

Putco Harness and Daylight Running Lights

Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Putco Harness and Daylight Running Lights

I have been doing a lot of night driving lately so I went out and picked up a Putco harness so I could actually see where I was going. the install went simple enough, but my DLRs are so dim that it would get more light trying to keep a candle lit while driving.

I am super happy with the headlight out put now even on the OEM sealed beams, but I know that I will forget to turn on the headlights during the day sooner or later I have been searching here and across the internet for a solution to my problem, but all I am finding are people that are having problems with the fog light relay and high beams that wont turn off. I don't have factory fog lights and my high/low beams work as they should. Anyone had this problem and managed to fix? if so could you share what you did, or a link to where you found the information to fix the dim DLRs.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I had to replace driver side lenses with aftermarket Taiwan version $15. The lens underneath headlight. It was much brighter due to its reflective silver coating. The stock ones were grey inside, no reflection (see comparison pictures).
Maybe also replace the bulbs with a yellow LED.

For the side-markers I replaced the bulbs. There are better bulb choices than what I used, but these are considerably brighter than the dim-glow of stock bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails Putco Harness and Daylight Running Lights-dsc03874.jpg   Putco Harness and Daylight Running Lights-dsc03877.jpg   Putco Harness and Daylight Running Lights-dsc03875.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 01:24 PM

Side markers and parking lights are not the same as daylight running lights. Up here in Canada DLRs are actually the headlights running on half voltage. Mine are coming on when I put the Jeep in gear, but they are so dim I would say they are seeing less than 3v. They worked fine before the putco harness, and if they didn't work at all with the harness I would be fine with that. I am just worried about damaging something with such low voltage. I have't actually measured what they headlights are seeing for voltage in DLR mode, it not that easy reading voltages at the headlights while trying to keep my foot on the brake

I am hoping to get an extra set of hands on the weekend so I can get the actual voltage readings. I think i just need to find a way to trigger the relays from the DLR module.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Oh I see, that's a new concept to me.lol
Old 02-05-2015, 01:36 PM

It is a Canadian thing, for some reason the powers that be decided that having the headlights on all the time is a good thing.

I have been going through the FSM and found the pin out for the DLR module, now I just need to find a way for it to trigger at full power for the putco relays.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:00 PM

So the voltage going to the headlights when on DLR is only 30%. Out of curiosity I switched the relays around and now I don't get any DLRs at all and one relay just buzzes.