Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ transmission oil spittng.. and cooling upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Lightbulb XJ transmission oil spittng.. and cooling upgrades

Hey everyone..

Well I have a situation, my '95 XJ 4.0 has been having a electric fan problem but I fixed that by wiring it to a relay switch for manual operation. I have had a problem over the past weekend as to my transmission oil seem to be spitting out after running up a hill on the highway @ 70mph enough that it started to make a smoke cloud. This happened to me previously while towing a trailer. I have already purchased an external transmission oil cooler with fan setup; but would this be the ideal way to cure this?

Secondly:

I am looking at copper radiators, as the aluminum 3 row Ebay units I have heard horror stories about. Any brands you recommend?

Chris
The following users liked this post:
ijeeep (01-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

definitely sounds like you are over heating the trans. Or you blew a seal, or one of the cooler lines is leaking. make sure that the fluid is not torched and that is at the full mark on the dipstick. if this has been happening for a wile you should change all of the fluid in the trans before adding the cooler on it. The thing that I have learned over the years is that the AW4 likes to run hot. So you may want to remove the trans fluid from the radiator loop and just have the external cooler. I have been running this way for a couple years now with no problems even in the North Jersey cold winter weather. if you remove the trans lines from the radiator loop you will need a way to monitor the temp in and out of the cooler, so you will have to get yourself a couple gauges. I have 2 mechanical gauges and they work very well.

As far as the radiator goes I just went with the OEM style one from advance auto. It has been fine no problems.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:09 AM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dans98xj
definitely sounds like you are over heating the trans. Or you blew a seal, or one of the cooler lines is leaking. make sure that the fluid is not torched and that is at the full mark on the dipstick. if this has been happening for a wile you should change all of the fluid in the trans before adding the cooler on it. The thing that I have learned over the years is that the AW4 likes to run hot. So you may want to remove the trans fluid from the radiator loop and just have the external cooler. I have been running this way for a couple years now with no problems even in the North Jersey cold winter weather. if you remove the trans lines from the radiator loop you will need a way to monitor the temp in and out of the cooler, so you will have to get yourself a couple gauges. I have 2 mechanical gauges and they work very well.

As far as the radiator goes I just went with the OEM style one from advance auto. It has been fine no problems.

Thanks Dan,

If I could figure out a way to put a temp probe type gauge and trigger for the trans cooling fan, that would be great. If not, I'll run the cooling fan manual just like the electric fan. What's the ideal operating temperature for the AW4? I am pushing 32's on a 4.5" lift and the drag from my roof basket, I am sure doesn't help.. (LOL). I am going to do the trans fluid and filter service this week once the weather breaks..

Chris.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

HEY Chris,
If your running stock gears(3.55)I wonder if the resistance from the 4.5" lift,roof rack,and 32" tires(maybe taller?) could be causing your problem.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by forcefed44
I have had a problem over the past weekend as to my transmission oil seem to be spitting out

That's a big problem. You need to flush that oil out of your transmission before you destroy it, if you haven't already.

The correct fluid is Dexron III/Mercon (Often just called, "Dexmerc").

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 08-13-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:16 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EZEARL
HEY Chris,
If your running stock gears(3.55)I wonder if the resistance from the 4.5" lift,roof rack,and 32" tires(maybe taller?) could be causing your problem.

I don't know, but in a head wind.. forget it.. It's like trying to push a bring on carpet. I am going to take the roof basket off though and put my Yakima rack on it and see what happens.. I have heard that a basket can kill up to 2mpg from various guys who I wheel with..
Old 08-14-2016, 07:19 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
That's a big problem. You need to flush that oil out of your transmission before you destroy it, if you haven't already.

The correct fluid is Dexron III/Mercon (Often just called, "Dexmerc").
I am going to do the filter and trans fluid replacement. I have felt a damaged or sluggish trans from a friends XJ and mine doesn't act any where near that. in fact it runs great aside from the situation. Should I just do the service or install the new transmission cooler, fan, nd hoses at the same time.. The problem is rea estate to mount this thing since it is pretty big and cannot use the are in from on the condenser. I might have to run it at a 45* angle under the truck.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:05 AM

Ideal temp is below 200 degrees. With my cooler installed I will only see temps that high or slightly higher going up some of the hills here in Vernon on a very hot day in the afternoon. On the highway mine stays right around 150-180 on the hot side and about 130 after the cooler. I have seen temps get up to 230 degrees wile pulling a trailer around town up and down hills.
If you are going to change the filter and the fluid add the cooler in at the same time. And adjust your throttle valve cable when you are done too.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:38 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default FYI

When the transmission spits fluid out the breather tube, there is always the chance of fluid igniting on manifolds/exhaust.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 AM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dans98xj
Ideal temp is below 200 degrees. With my cooler installed I will only see temps that high or slightly higher going up some of the hills here in Vernon on a very hot day in the afternoon. On the highway mine stays right around 150-180 on the hot side and about 130 after the cooler. I have seen temps get up to 230 degrees wile pulling a trailer around town up and down hills.
If you are going to change the filter and the fluid add the cooler in at the same time. And adjust your throttle valve cable when you are done too.
Thanks Dan, Adjust the throttle valve cable? will that do anything? It's the first time I have heard of that when servicing the transmission.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:39 AM

It is always good to adjust the TV cable when doing trans work. Once you replace the trans fluid the viscosity will be different then the old stuff that was in there and could slip burning up the new fluid quicker.

here is a how to on the TV cable adjustment.

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/cher...nsmission.html
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM

Sorry forgot to update. I installed new lines and a large external transmission cooler with a fan. No more problems of the trans oil spittng out and even the radiator temps no longer rise up to abnormal temps.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 AM

Thanks for reporting back. What cooler did you end up going with?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 AM

Setrab 19 row with fan but didn't hook the fan up yet since I haven't done any heavy towing with it. Was chasing a pesky front end cracking noise and solved that.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the same issue.

Originally Posted by forcefed44
Hey everyone..

Well I have a situation, my '95 XJ 4.0 has been having a electric fan problem but I fixed that by wiring it to a relay switch for manual operation. I have had a problem over the past weekend as to my transmission oil seem to be spitting out after running up a hill on the highway @ 70mph enough that it started to make a smoke cloud. This happened to me previously while towing a trailer. I have already purchased an external transmission oil cooler with fan setup; but would this be the ideal way to cure this?

Secondly:

I am looking at copper radiators, as the aluminum 3 row Ebay units I have heard horror stories about. Any brands you recommend?

Chris
My wench blocked the airflow. Put a bigger and square Trans cooler to the side.

Quick Reply: XJ transmission oil spittng.. and cooling upgrades