Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Would anyone actually buy a Jeep for fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC
Default Would anyone actually buy a Jeep for fuel economy?

I see these questions (whiner's?) in tech all the time.

Personally I did not buy a Cherokee so I could pass up a Prius on the way to the gas station; I bought it so I can go where I want, when I want. As well when the fuel gauge gets down to about a quarter of a tank I fill that sucker right back up. Isn't there anyone else on this board whose carbon footprint resembles that of a dinosaur?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Believe it or not I did get it for fuel economy. Its wonderful compare to my old K5 that I traded it for. 9 mph with a tailwind going downhill on a fresh oil change. Carbon footprint went from T-Rex status to more like a stegasaurus.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 PM
AoA

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.2L bored out 4.0L I6

When i bought my XJ i didnt even bother to find out what my mpg was going to be. I bought my XJ for an offroad machine. Also people that worry about ride quality need to get a Cadillac or luxury car not a lifted XJ. I personally LOVE my rigs rough ride, reminds me im driving my XJ. Despite myself *****ing quietly to myself about my mpg, i still drive like an *******.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by blue_on_blackXJ
Believe it or not I did get it for fuel economy. Its wonderful compare to my old K5 that I traded it for. 9 mph with a tailwind going downhill on a fresh oil change. Carbon footprint went from T-Rex status to more like a stegasaurus.
Same here, my K5 (that's in the garage as a toy only now) got roughly 3-4 MPG, my 01 limited gets 21-22. I can't complain. To me, 20 mpg is outstanding
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

WOW lot of us OLD K5ers on here. the capability of the jeep compares to that of the K5, minus the size and fuel comsumption, and slightly less capable. i bought the XJ to keep wheeling and save a few coin on fuel. however now that i drive 3 miles a day to and from work.... i could care less if any rig i had ran on endagered animals.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

I didn't buy it for fuel economy. I bought it because snow drifts and muddy trails won't drive through themselves
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Agent_Oragnge
WOW lot of us OLD K5ers on here. the capability of the jeep compares to that of the K5, minus the size and fuel comsumption, and slightly less capable. i bought the XJ to keep wheeling and save a few coin on fuel. however now that i drive 3 miles a day to and from work.... i could care less if any rig i had ran on endagered animals.
I love my old K5, hell, I named my first born son after it, but I can't beat the XJ for the size and capability it has. I'll be honest, I drive it to work, if I'm gonna go trash on something, I use the Blazer, it's a little more built for that. The XJ for me is a means to get to and from work regardless of conditions outside. Nothing radical will be done to it, minor lift, little more tire, drive it.

KP
Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I stopped caring about my carbon footprint once I heard about THIS

Touch my dog and I'll be heading to the gun cabinet....
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

I find it interesting the study doesn't mention the fact that it is the human owner that buys all that stuff for their dog. It isn't the dog's fault they have survived thousands of years before they became man's best friend.

They should do a study on inmates...
"Time to Eat the prisoners? The Real Guide to Sustainable Living"

Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Did not get it for the mileage per se, but it did play a big role. The XJ can do a lot of things off road, snow, etc. If I can squeeze out 300 miles per tank I am happy.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

sold my 01 Bonneville (31-32 mpg hwy) to get the XJ. Definitely a step down in mpg's. I got it to build, take offroad, and have fun with. I still get a little over 300 miles to the tank on the hwy so I'm happy. Granted, it's not the 500 I could get with the Bonneville doing 80mph, but I like the XJ better.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J

Personally I did not buy a Cherokee so I could pass up a Prius on the way to the gas station; I bought it so I can go where I want, when I want. As well when the fuel gauge gets down to about a quarter of a tank I fill that sucker right back up. Isn't there anyone else on this board whose carbon footprint resembles that of a dinosaur?

I don't care who you are ... that there is some pretty funny stuff

WHat's the largest dinosaur that ever was? Because that's the size of my carbon footprint. XJ gets the same mileage as my 5.9L Dodge - 10MPG. Depressing? yes. Do I obsess about it? NO. Do I love driving them both? Hellsyea!

Do I feel guilty?
Nope.
You only live once.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J

While most didnt buy it for the mpg...most of us dont have bottomless pockets. If people want to squeeze out a couple more mpg, and keep a little extra green in their pocket, I dont see why not.
It may get annoying the volume of these threads asking about getting better gas mileage but people dont have to be *** holes about it.
If someone posts a thread about MPG just leave it alone, dont be a douchebag and post something like "If I wanted good gas mileage I would have bought a Honda.. HURR DURR."
This isnt directed at op but at the people who post like above mentioned, these people need to get off their high horse..
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

I'm happy with the 14-16 mpg I get out of my 2.8L '86. This is a step-up from my trucks which range in the 5-8 mpg area. I do agree that people shouldn't whine about their mpg when it comes to certain vehicles. We have people in my Ford truck forum always wanting to know how they can get better mpg out of their 3/4 and one ton 460 powered trucks... yeah, two things that don't go together. Another thing that people forget is that gas didn't cost this much when many of our vehicles were manufactured. When I was growing up in the 90's $20-$25 filled your tank up and $5 was enough to cruise on for the entire weekend. Now it costs a couple days pay to fill up my 454 powered K2500! Ouch, but you won't hear me complain about it.

p.s. My horse is offended that you think he does drugs. Way to go.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Personally I have a V6 Monte Carlo for those longer road trips where I don't need a 4x4 or to spend the extra gas money so I wasn't worried about the XJ's mpg when I bought it. The XJ is a big step up from the lifted 87 Suburban 3/4ton I had been driving.. lol

Quick Reply: Would anyone actually buy a Jeep for fuel economy?