Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it worth it to fix my soon to be broken cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is it worth it to fix my soon to be broken cherokee?

my 2001 jeep cherokee that i got about a year ago is starting to make weird noises from the engine and has been mysteriously losing antifreeze for a few months now so it obviously has the notorious 0331 cracked head issue indicated by my mayonaisse encrusted oil cap. It has been going for a while like this as i didnt have the money to fix it and its my only way to and from school/work. It still runs and drives alright just very loud when i start it up in the cold each morning. I have spent a great deal of money on this jeep and to see the engine do this is very disappointing. Im not extremely mechanically inclined and i dont have a garage so it would tough for me to do an engine swap myself. What should i expect to pay for a well done engine swap, if i found a cheap craigslist 4.0 that is? Im trying to figure out whether or not i want to sink more money into this thing. I just replaced shocks, exhaust, u joints and axle seals done along with a power steering box when i first got it. The jeep has 175k miles......the frame is solid with no rust whatsoever........the tranny seems to be functioning fine......what should i do?

Last edited by byrns149; 12-21-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:48 PM

Year: 1995,1997
Engine: 4.0

Keep the oil changed and some what fresh until you decide to get it fixed.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:49 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by byrns149
my 2001 jeep cherokee that i got about a year ago is starting to make weird noises from the engine and has been mysteriously losing antifreeze for a few months now so it obviously has the notorious 0331 cracked head issue indicated by my mayonaisse encrusted oil cap. It has been going for a while like this as i didnt have the money to fix it and its my only way to and from school/work. It still runs and drives alright just very loud when i start it up in the cold each morning.
How much do you love it?

I hate questions like this.

If you love your jeep, find a used motor. Or if you don't like that, get a long block, and swap out the good parts. Or, if the bottom end is good, but the top end is shot, do a new cylinder head. Are you positive it's a cracked head? Are you guessing, or have you done actual diagnostics to determine that is the problem?

I get it's your daily. Only you can determine if it's worth fixing, or if you can do the work, or if you have to take it to a shop. A shop will charge you an arm and leg to fix it. If you have the tools, the know-how, and the time, fix it. If not, get rid of it.

Bottom line is YOU need to make a decision.

I would fix it.

EDIT: You edited your post whilst I was writing a response. Only you can find out what someone local would charge you to swap a motor, or do the work required. Bottom line is you need to find out the damage done, and make a determination on what you want to do.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 12-21-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can figure a typical shop would charge you around $1,000 labor to swap an engine once you have located a suitable replacement. Be wary of used engines with that same crack prone 0331 head. For me, it would all depend on the current overall condition of the Jeep. If its clean and rust free, it would likely be worth it to swap the engine. If its on the rougher side, then no.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly i would ride it tell it blows,And save up every penny i can in the mean while.When you blows you got two options fix it or find a new car.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bocefus
You can figure a typical shop would charge you around $1,000 labor to swap an engine once you have located a suitable replacement. Be wary of used engines with that same crack prone 0331 head. For me, it would all depend on the current overall condition of the Jeep. If its clean and rust free, it would likely be worth it to swap the engine. If its on the rougher side, then no.
The jeeps really clean...minimal rust. Its such a shame these cylinder heads man......i plan on looking for a pre-99 engine as they seem to be more reliable.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992 2dr Sport 2wd & 1992 4dr Laredo 4x4
Engine: 4.0 liter H.O.

He doesn't need a motor just a head.