Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Why did you buy an XJ?? and they said it was cheaper to build....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Cool Why did you buy an XJ?? and they said it was cheaper to build....

Why did you buy an XJ??

Most comments I've heard is, "I bought an XJ cause it's cheaper to build".... (than a YJ)....

well I'm not quite sure I believe that anymore... You can pick up a good YJ '90-99 somewhere between 4-7k+ ... or for that matter a great zj....

I will have around 4K into mine once I lift and paint it, then I still have wheels and tires to consider along with a bunch of odds and ends, windshield, headliner... and a few mandatory upgrades... etc...

I had considered a YJ many times but its just the epitome of jeep, was tempted to buy a zj,an xj is more like (thinking inside the box ) It was a cheaper initial purchase but seems to be just as costly as a YJ would have been in the long run..

For myself I like the extra room an xj provides for passengers and cargo, I can sleep in it if need be.. It can be used more like a 'truck' to haul things... and initially was a cheaper buy..... until ................well stuff....

why did you choose an XJ over anything else you considered?

Last edited by DieselDaze; 11-19-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

The extra cash I'd have laid out for a TJ over an XJ didn't matter to me.

I didn't want a noisy, rough riding gas hog TJ, so I got an XJ instead, which is a noisy, rough riding gas hog, but less so.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The xj in my opinoin makes a better wheeler for less. And its cheaper to purchase.

Had both.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

cargo area, better wheelbase, links up front (no lame leafs like a yj) its 5 seater, and a fleet vehicle! parts a plenty. and cheap. you'd be shocked to find out how much a TJ door costs

one thing I did learn about price. go ahead and just spend $2500 or so on a nice Cherokee. some beaters aren't worth the effort to rebuild. and that's when you get too much money tied up and they're not worth it anymore
Old 11-19-2013, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

[QUOTE=Atmos;2679591]cargo area, better wheelbase, links up front (no lame leafs like a yj) its 5 seater, and a fleet vehicle! parts a plenty. and cheap. you'd be shocked to find out how much a TJ door costs

one thing I did learn about price. go ahead and just spend $2500 or so on a nice Cherokee. some beaters aren't worth the effort to rebuild. and that's when you get too much money tied up and they're not worth it anymore[/QUOTE]

Best advice you could give right there. If you start out with a decent XJ you will be miles ahead.

I paid 3600 for mine. It was nice to start with. And because of that I have had very little problems. And it always gets me back home.

Buy a pile and you will be lucky to make it through the trail ride.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

I bought my xj because originally I wanted to buy a station wagon, slap it on a truck frame and lift it. Tired of looking long and hard for a good station wagon for cheap, so I thought a Cherokee looked like station wagon and its got 4x4 already so I bought it. Plus I was driving my girlfriend's xj for a while so it helped the decision lol
Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 AM

haa....

its been said some have been persuaded to buy an xj after making bread, saying how the shape of the loaf drove them to the xj...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

I love the look of a lifted XJ. Not to mention they are really capable in factory form.

I need cargo space and being able to sleep in the back.

I've had friends with Wranglers before and I don't prefer the added noise and leaks from a soft or removable top. Same as a convertible to me, I just don't see the point. They seem like a good idea (with the top down) for about 10 minutes then I'm done.

I love wheeling in the summer in New Mexico (hot as hell) and leaving my Jeep running with the AC cranked and it being nice and cool inside.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Less expensive? I can only speak for myself, but now, not only do I have the urge to spend money on the XJ, but on more tools to help in upgrading said XJ. So, is it really less expensive? LOL
Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Mine was handed down to me as my father bought it for when my grandfather came up from Florida for 2 months and thought it would be best to get it for $800 instead of renting a car. After that my dad put around 1k into it for new brake components and the usual maintenance to get it running good. Then about 3 1/2 years ago it's become mine. Totaling up with fixing rust, misc stuff like stereo and wheels, and lift I probably just have around $800 into it so I don't think I've done too bad with my $2600 Jeep so far. Even if I bought it myself I would want an XJ because they have a better wheelbase then most wranglers, are easy/cheap for the most part to repair, much more room which is needed for my cross state drive to college, and I just love the look of it.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Decent inside space
Reliable engine
Tons of common parts

I paid $3700 for mine with 154k. It needed new suspension, but it was a fleet vehicle for 135K of its life before getting tossed around a bit. Everything is in good shape overall, and clearly never offroaded.

I needed something that could do mountain passes and be somewhat reliable and easy to work on.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

I initially got my XJ because of the huge community and aftermarket support for them, ease to work on, solid axles, SUV space, and I love the look of them also. I was in need of a new project after my Ranger rusted out.

I paid way more than I should have for mine. $3k + the Ranger trade. (it was fixable rust, I think). Ended up discovering rocker rust, door jamb rust and quarter panel rust that I am currently tackling.

I've got a lot of $$$ into it already and haven't even lifted it yet--but I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe my salary!). I've learned so much about DIY auto work, it ain't funny. I can even weld now. All thanks to this Jeep!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM

I always wanted an xj, and it was a toss up with a zj as well... One of my first posts here was regarding this very thing... After a loooooong time I finally ended up with an xj...

i've lived in okla for 6yrs now and up until 5 months ago lived on a hill where we would get stuck for a few days if it froze and snowed (very seldom)... My wife has a newer suv and I didn't want here to wreck it trying to get out, and I didn't want her driving my diesel either so in order to keep the wife happy and get myself my jeep I told her I'd buy it for her in case the weather got nasty in the winter and she could get out in a capable vehicle and not worry about wrecking it...

well I've had it over a year and last years winter was like fall, we have since moved to flatlands and I even considered selling it while I was moving to make the move less of a hassle...

really glad I kept it and can't wait to start fixing it up and making it my own... I sit here anxious to do something but can't as I just had knee surgery friday, time off with no way to spend time with it... .sux
Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

I bought my first XJ because I like the way they look. That's it.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
I've got a lot of $$$ into it already and haven't even lifted it yet--but I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe my salary!). I've learned so much about DIY auto work, it ain't funny. I can even weld now. All thanks to this Jeep!
You can't pay for that kind of knowledge right there.... life long lessons...

Quick Reply: Why did you buy an XJ?? and they said it was cheaper to build....