whille i'm at it ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L Renix
Default whille i'm at it ....

any one help me with figurine how to make my 2d xj a 6x6? i'm honestly serious . i was thinking about dual t-cases and while searching ran into the green t-rex DD . the video of it in action has got me wound up .

i figure i could do it over the summer , engine swap and build it to a 6x6. shoud make for one bad snow rig. it could be on radiouse arms or leaf springs. ones cheaper than the other but dont preform as well.

plans currently for rig are to stretch the wheel base any way . so it may make room. and cab my fornt axle as far forward as i can. also my little diesel engine is a lot shorter than the 4l so the engine can move forward 6-8 inches and a tad more if i go electric fans only. so that being said is there enough room for drive lines and axles if it stretch it out?

i found pics of a 6x6 xj but i am sure there all photo shopped
Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Are you planning on having both rear axles pulling? If so what axles are you planning on running? I've seen it done with rocks but not with 1/4 or half ton axles.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Are you planning on having both rear axles pulling? If so what axles are you planning on running? I've seen it done with rocks but not with 1/4 or half ton axles.
i kinda had the thought of 2 pice rear drive line. and angle the pinopn gear up and run a dual cv shaft rear line to get over the top of the middle axle.

that was just a thought tho. to be ohnest its a shot in the dark idea. if i rock well i think they would just tear the unibody apart.

may be a plan for a larger rig.

ive seen a few actual rigs with 3 axles rovers, some fords. but haven't found pics of the under sides yet.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

i say go for it! this would be probably be one of the best builds on here if you go after it. after the strech i would get a MJ bed and put it on there to make it a cherokee truck if you get what im saying
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by XJ-92
i say go for it! this would be probably be one of the best builds on here if you go after it. after the strech i would get a MJ bed and put it on there to make it a cherokee truck if you get what im saying

Cherokee trucks look cool. but i want the hatch on the back. good dry cargo space
Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

If you tilted the pinion up it would burn up the bearings within a few miles so that wouldn't work. You'd prob need top loader axles so you could run a short shaft between them like the big trucks do. I'm sure there are people out there that know more about this than me, and it wouldn't take much. I'd just start searching tandam axle trucks and see what axles other's have used. There was a huge power wagon on rocks that ran around here a few years ago on 53s and a slammed S10 but I think the rear axle wasn't connected but just for looks. BTW this isn't fab and should have been in another section, just saying. Good luck if you do the build.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

rockwells seem like your best option.

i think you're going to bite off more than you can chew though with this project. so be prepared for it to take MUCH longer than the summer time.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 AM

you should do something like this.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Ba

Bad

Brandon
Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

If you're actually interested in doing it then i believe its possible. Chop the back off completely behind the rear seats, flatten that out and add on a bed off a short bed MJ, Find a frame to fit the length you need and attach the bed and cherokee body on top of it. Work from there. I dont see this happening, would require a MASSIVE amount of fabbing and i honestly dont think you could fit 3 axles under a cherokee.

I've always wanted to see a dually cherokee. I think it would be sick.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

Originally Posted by lookin2wheel

Im sorry but I have to jump in here....This is the kind of chicken **** remarks that make people hate forums like CF. The guy asked a simple question, looking for advice not smart *** remarks and namecalling. My mother always said if you dont have anything helpful to say, STFU!!

OP, man if you have the time, $$, and knowhow, do what you want to YOUR rig. Rockwells will prolly be your only option for running a true 6x6. There are things you can do to lighten Rocks by about 150 to 200 pounds like brake swaps and what not. Do your homework, research and go for it! 6x6s look cool as hell.
X2, its a cool idea, if ya don't like..don't subscribe.

With that said, I think a for door cherokee stretched..with a mj bed would be cool.

I did see a dual drive axle on a low rider..it had basically a transfer case bolted to the pinion on the intermediate axle, so the output came out around the the center section.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

I hate to interrupt the cat fight, but that is something I always wanted to do but could never figure out how to do it with out the thing being bigger than a ten wheeler. USA 6x6 used to do it but they went busto. The big problem is getting them to articulate separately. If they were fixed together and moved as one unit you could use a shaft, chain and sprockets like a mud dragster. You could always put another pinion in the back of your dif (actually seen it done somewhere) but you need a NASA machine shop.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Member

you guys were talking about a cherokee with a truck box.
Name:  ultimatetruck.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  56.8 KB
Name:  BlueGerbil1.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  73.3 KB

Still not a 6x6 but still cool.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Check this out, I think some of this was USA 6x6x stuff, maybe the same guy.
http://www.startracksmotorsports.com/6x6trucks.html
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

Originally Posted by Domaas
X2, its a cool idea, if ya don't like..don't subscribe.

With that said, I think a for door cherokee stretched..with a mj bed would be cool.

I did see a dual drive axle on a low rider..it had basically a transfer case bolted to the pinion on the intermediate axle, so the output came out around the the center section.
Originally Posted by leecarr
Check this out, I think some of this was USA 6x6x stuff, maybe the same guy.
http://www.startracksmotorsports.com/6x6trucks.html
Yeah! thats what i saw! coool.

Quick Reply: whille i'm at it ....