Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Where's THE WK2 love?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Where's THE WK2 love?

I think I've learned something in the last few weeks.

I've been making posts here and at another Jeep owner site for the last couple of weeks about the 2011 Grand I just bought and the changes I'm making to it.

Granted, I know that the WK2 off road worthiness just doesn't compare to most others (you'll see in my signature I also have a 98 XJ), but come on... It's still a Jeep.

I just put wheels and tires on it, I have a Rocky Road Outfitters 2.5" lift coming for it, along with their front hidden winch and bumper combo, and a Surco UB4560 black urban rack is on it's way as well.

No, it will never be as good off road as my XJ. But it does have some decent tread now, will have about 10.5 inches of ground clearance, and has a real two-speed transfer case. And that 290HP Pentastar hustles that beast down the road a heck of a lot faster than my 4.0 ever dreamed of.

My posts will get dozens, if not hundreds of views. But not a PEEP of response.

Are most WK2 owners just shy, timid creatures that can't engage with other people?

Last edited by macgyver35; 03-16-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

I am obviously biased, but I'd guess it's because the WK2 like most current Jeep models is so far removed from what most of us like in Jeeps (i.e. simplicity, reliability) that they just don't garner much interest. That or the IFS. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 03-16-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by macgyver35
Are most WK2 owners just shy, timid creatures that can't engage with other people?
No.

Most WK2 owners are suburban parents, many of whom probably don't even know the do's and don't's of 4wd or what "transfer case" means.

Many are parents who want room for kids and stuff with no automotive enthusiasm and won't admit to a [mini]van or wagon being technically more appropriate for their lifestyle/needs.

Many others are people who want an SUV because they think they need one or might need one some day even though they'll never have more than one passenger and the biggest item they'll haul with it is a golf bag or two.

All of them are people that spent a whole heck of a lot of money for a vehicle loaded with technology and creature comforts and designed primarily with street service in mind and who, if offroading even occurred to them as a pastime, would freak-out at the thought of scratching or denting their upper middle class people-mover.

The most modern Jeep I have any personal interest in or any real recognition for as a true utility vehicle is the WJ.

Last edited by mschi772; 03-16-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

^^ Perhaps a bit blunt with the delivery, but can't disagree with anything that mschi had to say here. 100% grade A truth.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 PM

Valid points. But It's not that my posts aren't viewed and I'm playing to an empty club. The posts get dozens or hundreds of views, yet nobody responds. There's no "hey that's neat" or "what brand of X did you use" or even questions about how or what to do to their own WK2.

I could see if only a handful of people saw the thread. But one thread has over 250 views and not a single murmur from anyone.

It's just very, very different from how it's been for me that last five years on here involved in XJ threads.

I would assume, even among the more die-hard or at least knowledgeable offroaders, that at least a few could appreciate the need for a nice daily driver that you can haul clients around in, yet still take out in the woods if you want.

I guess it doesn't really matter. The silence is just odd.

For what it's worth, this pic represents the direction I'm going with mine. I had already made a list of parts to buy before I ever saw this photo, and when I did it was like "I must have been reading this guy's mind or something without knowing it."

Here's my new wheels and tires. Pre-lift. 17x8.5 at +18 offset with 265/70-17 (21.5 OD) Toyo Open Country AT II's.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Ah, gotcha. Maybe people are scared of change? Maybe they don't know enough about that platform to give input? Who knows. I spy flares, sliders, and a hidden winch in that top pic. Low key and functional, I like. Have you found any info about it online, or just have the pic?
Now quit being an attention ***** and get to building!!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:03 PM

My list, even before I found the pic consisted of:

The aforementioned wheels and tires.
Rocky Road Outfitters 2.5" lift with upper control arms
Rocky Road Outfitters hidden winch plate and combo bumper plate and bar
Chief Products lower front protector plate
Trailhawk hood decal
Surco UB4560 black urban rack
Mopar class III receiver hitch
Smittybilt Beaver Step for the receiver hitch
Kawell K5-5012 800 lumen LED 5.5" lED light bars for the roof rack (Back and sides)
(2) Kawell K3-3016 16w spot beam LED light pods for the front of the roof rack
(2) Kawell k3-3016 16w flood beam LED light pods for the front bumper light bar
Smittybilt 8K Comp winch with synthetic line
Various factory skidplates (front axle, oil pan, gas tanks, and trans belly pan)
Full compliment of 3D Maxpider floor and cargo mats

The main difference between my list and what that first pic has on it is he has a $1700 Gobi rack (vs my $400 Surco), and he has more expensive lights. He commented that he had about $3000 wrapped up just in the rack and rack lights. He's also running factory wheels with Duratracs, and has the factory Trailhawk package.

Other than that, it's almost the same as what I had planned for mine, and they are even the same color.

So far I've done the wheels and tires, the receiver hitch, the floor mats, the beaver step, and I have LED lights here. The lift, winch plate and bumper are ordered and should be here next week. The Surco rack was ordered on the 26th, but the outfit I ordered it from can't find their butts using both hands, and I have yet to get a tracking number on it...
Old 03-17-2016, 04:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I click on threads daily by accident. Maybe that's why you have so many views & no response. Or folks just aren't interested enough to respond.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:28 AM
CF Veteran

Looks like a solid list. Once you show progress (and action shots!!!) you'll get more feedback, I'm sure.
Compare the pics of that rig on the trail or even your XJ to your WK...the reply count is low because, well...how do I say this nice? Um, it looks like a mall crawler. The lift will change that though (and action shots!!!).
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

I too now better understand your point. I suppose it's mostly because a built WK2 isn't relatable to most of us. Maybe it's not even believable to some. Photos and a thread/write-up/journal of what it is, what you're doing to it, and what you do with it certainly help.

Personally, I'm not a wheeler, so I don't relate much to ANY wheeling-centric threads. But, I do think it is neat that you are actually tapping the potential of your WK2. I'm the kind of guy that does some things for the sake of doing a different thing than the crowd, so I've got extra respect for you taking your WK2 out on the trails.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say in 10 years when they are older vehicles you will see more love to them
Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 PM

Progress...
Trailhawk hood decal installed.
Mopar factory cross bars installed.
Surco Urban rack installed on Mopar cross bars. This required about 3 hours of customer modification of the Surco hardware to work with the Mopar bars. I had to use a bench grinder, drill, and Dremel tool. But it's on and tight.

The lift got here last Monday, and the winch plate and front combo bumper are coming tomorrow. I don't know when I'll get time to do those. I'm on vacation starting Friday night, but I already had planned to remodel our hall bathroom during that week while my wife is away on business.
Remove wallpaper and texture walls and ceiling. Paint cabinets and trim. Fabricate custom concrete countertop. New shower and floor tile. New shower and sink faucets. Gonna be a busy week!

Old 04-12-2016, 05:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by mschi772
No.

Most WK2 owners are suburban parents, many of whom probably don't even know the do's and don't's of 4wd or what "transfer case" means.

Many are parents who want room for kids and stuff with no automotive enthusiasm and won't admit to a [mini]van or wagon being technically more appropriate for their lifestyle/needs.

Many others are people who want an SUV because they think they need one or might need one some day even though they'll never have more than one passenger and the biggest item they'll haul with it is a golf bag or two.

All of them are people that spent a whole heck of a lot of money for a vehicle loaded with technology and creature comforts and designed primarily with street service in mind and who, if offroading even occurred to them as a pastime, would freak-out at the thought of scratching or denting their upper middle class people-mover.

The most modern Jeep I have any personal interest in or any real recognition for as a true utility vehicle is the WJ.
Flawless victory!

OP, most WK2 owners that are enthusiastic like you simply are not on here. It's called CherokeeForum but if you pulled stats, I bet you would find 85 percent of this forum's members have XJs.

JeepForum and ExpeditionPortal would be my bet for finding more like minded people. Please, don't back down on sharing your build here though. WK2s rock and if I could afford one, I'd get one in a heartbeat. Hemi style.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the WK2. If you get a good build thread going I would keep my eye on it. I can't really get one now but in the future I will probably end up getting one. Your list looks good and wait to see what comes of it.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I may be getting older but all the newer suvs look just a like to me anymore.

Quick Reply: Where's THE WK2 love?