Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wheels that can't be found

17"
Aluminum
3.75" backspace..Maaaaybe 4"

Has anyone in the history of XJs found backspace that low with aluminum wheels? I am actually on 6x5.5 bolt pattern, but if they have it in 5x4.5, they should have the other as well...
Anyway, I have been on the prowl for a while now at tire shops and online, and I am getting the impression that it is either steel wheels or spacers to achieve this number. Just wanting to save some weight in steel, and I need bigger than 15 to clear brakes and tie rod comfortably.

Has anyone seen a wheel like this? I thought it would be much easier
Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by FloydXJ
17"
Aluminum
3.75" backspace..Maaaaybe 4"

Has anyone in the history of XJs found backspace that low with aluminum wheels? I am actually on 6x5.5 bolt pattern, but if they have it in 5x4.5, they should have the other as well...
Anyway, I have been on the prowl for a while now at tire shops and online, and I am getting the impression that it is either steel wheels or spacers to achieve this number. Just wanting to save some weight in steel, and I need bigger than 15 to clear brakes and tie rod comfortably.

Has anyone seen a wheel like this? I thought it would be much easier
Street only I'm guessing? I'd have to guess you will need to use spacers.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by freakaccident
Street only I'm guessing? I'd have to guess you will need to use spacers.
A lot of street, but probably offroad too. I have some trail tires, but only swap them on when I am going to do something huge. Why do you ask? On account of being blingy 17s, or being aluminum wheels that allegedly break on rocks?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by FloydXJ
A lot of street, but probably offroad too. I have some trail tires, but only swap them on when I am going to do something huge. Why do you ask? On account of being blingy 17s, or being aluminum wheels that allegedly break on rocks?
Just that you want to save weight. Lower CG with steel wheels. If I had the money I would rock 17" AL beadlocks all day long on the street and on the trail. AL does break easier but that's what spares are for.

EDIT - I would roll on 17" steel locks too if I could afford them. Weight is irrelevant to me. XJs are cement mixers no matter how light your wheels are. 15mpg vs 16mpg is practically unnoticeable and slow is slow not matter how you look at it. 5lbs per wheel isn't going to get you into the NHRA finals. On my Miata that has 12hp it's a different story.

Last edited by freakaccident; 03-17-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

On my Miata that has 12hp it's a different story.
I got a riding lawn mower with 12 hp

i never checked but does dick cepek offer anything in that size

edit:
decided to check
http://www.dickcepek.com/wheels.php?...e=17x9&type=LT

http://www.dickcepek.com/wheels.php?...e=17x9&type=LT

looks like 4-1.5" backspacing

Last edited by REWSTER; 03-18-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Just that you want to save weight. Lower CG with steel wheels. If I had the money I would rock 17" AL beadlocks all day long on the street and on the trail. AL does break easier but that's what spares are for.

EDIT - I would roll on 17" steel locks too if I could afford them. Weight is irrelevant to me. XJs are cement mixers no matter how light your wheels are. 15mpg vs 16mpg is practically unnoticeable and slow is slow not matter how you look at it. 5lbs per wheel isn't going to get you into the NHRA finals. On my Miata that has 12hp it's a different story.
My jeep is slow already - speed is not at all a concern of mine. I want to maximize my MPG, since it is my DD. 5 or 10 pounds per wheel can make a noticible difference, I think. There is a lot of extra unsprung weight to get moving. Oh, well. I see a lot of bally-hoo about breaking AL wheels, but I have been on the trails for 18 years with AL without an issue, so I think with the kind of wheeling I do, that is not something to worry a lot about. On buggy or something doing comp stuff, I would sing a different tune. But in my experience, I am much more likely to bend my steelies than break the aluminums.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992 2dr Sport 2wd & 1992 4dr Laredo 4x4
Engine: 4.0 liter H.O.
Cool

you are driving a shoe box. the small diff in weight you could gain will do nothing for your mileage. get a good tune up, the correct oil & air press in the tires & a clean air filter. Drive with a light foot. Coast a lot. Remove roof rack if you have one.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

Originally Posted by patnok
you are driving a shoe box. the small diff in weight you could gain will do nothing for your mileage. get a good tune up, the correct oil & air press in the tires & a clean air filter. Drive with a light foot. Coast a lot. Remove roof rack if you have one.

Yeah i agree, the weight of your wheels isnt going to make hardly any difference. And it doesnt matter whether the weight is sprung or unsprung, they will both afftect mileage the same.