Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What's with all the "how do I turbocharge my Jeep???" threads lately?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default What's with all the "how do I turbocharge my Jeep???" threads lately?

What's with all the "how do I turbocharge my Jeep???" threads lately?

I mean there's currently 3 of them going and they all seem similar; "I want to boost my Jeep for a cheap as possible, what do I need?"

While I understand that some people love tinkering with vehicles for the sake of tinkering, I don't understand the sudden appeal of turbocharging an inline 6 engine. It's not like this is a civic or wrx or something that can handle itself on a road coarse, it's a boxy "station wagon" that is designed to drive over things, not swerve around them.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't turbocharge a jeep, do whatever makes you feel happy. I'm just saying I don't understand the appeal when there are easier ways in my opinion (stroker, gearing) to gain power; jeepspeed excluded.

I'm not too knowledgeable on on turbos but the boosted vehicles I've driven created power in an RPM range that wouldn't be touched by me in an XJ unless I was absolutely body deep in mud and trying to skinny pedal my way out.

Really what I'm looking for here is 1) Is there some sort of ricer infiltration of the Jeep community that I've missed? 2) If so why? 3) Why do people get so worked up on these turbo threads? I've seen more angry people and flaming on those threads that anywhere else.

Eh, rant over. Just curious what others think about this.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Turbo doesn't equal ricer...first off.

Second, a turbo isn't meant just for cornering or swerving around things. In all actuality a turbo has nothing to do with cornering whatsoever.

Third, look at the diesel motors running turbos. Do they spin faster than..say...3000rpm? Not many do. Yet they still make lots of power, and low in the RPM range. Its all about exhaust flow and matching the proper snail to the motor your using.

The cars you have experience with spooled and made power up higher because that's how they were designed and set up.

Turbos are just power adders, and mighty efficient ones at that. They are just gaining in popularity because of the knowledge available, as well as new technologies making them more usable in different applications.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

because they can, also goes with every other thread started example i have the violent shaking when i drive in the front end or what locker should i get
Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 88-87
Engine: 4.0

xj snake .I agree turbo charging is exhaust after its going "turbo lag".WANT POWER OUT OF THE HOLE? SUPERCHARGE!(as if)
Old 12-23-2011, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by dotyjeep
xj snake .I agree turbo charging is exhaust after its going "turbo lag".WANT POWER OUT OF THE HOLE? SUPERCHARGE!(as if)

And, see" this is how some of that misinformation gets started...

Turbo lag?

Size the ball bearing turbo properly, you'll have something spooling at 1500rpm.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Turbo doesn't equal ricer...first off.

Second, a turbo isn't meant just for cornering or swerving around things. In all actuality a turbo has nothing to do with cornering whatsoever.

Third, look at the diesel motors running turbos. Do they spin faster than..say...3000rpm? Not many do. Yet they still make lots of power, and low in the RPM range. Its all about exhaust flow and matching the proper snail to the motor your using.

The cars you have experience with spooled and made power up higher because that's how they were designed and set up.

Turbos are just power adders, and mighty efficient ones at that. They are just gaining in popularity because of the knowledge available, as well as new technologies making them more usable in different applications.
Perhaps I phrased that poorly. I didn't mean to imply that turbochargers had to do with the handling of a vehicle. Merely that the majority of aftermarket turbo applications I've seen are for short highly maneuverable vehicles and typically are imports. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "ricer", didn't know it would upset people.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Just get heavier shoes the xj is insanely fast for an suv no turbo needed who they hell are you gonna drag race?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered Users

Maybe its just me but turbo cherokee's make no sense to me. Why put a turbo on a big box? But to each his own I suppose.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Closed... Not cherokee chat and as u said there is enough REAL turbo discussion goin already... Things come in many threads... Later itll be a 10 v8 swap threads... How its always been and always will be... Starting threads to complain isnt going to help... Only makes it worse... If u dont want to read them then dont...