Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do you think

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Default What do you think

So, I'm sure you guys get a thread like this everyday, but I'm a newcomer so please play nice.

Anyways, I've had a thing for jeeps for a while but always put it on the back burner as I used to drive 100+mi a day for work. I finally took a new job, moved, and bought a new car and am looking to pick up a jeep to have a little fun with.

So I started looking back around Christmas as I’d rather drive the Jeep in the winter instead of my GTI but all the Cherokees in my area are either rotted, have 160k+ miles or the seller wants a crazy amount of money for them. There is a used car dealer near me that is selling three of them (99, and 2 98s) each with 170k miles and he’s asking $5900 for them. I tried looking for a private deal but I’ve run into the same issues with those.

So, last week I started taking a new (shorter) route to work and low and behold, there is a Cherokee Country in someone’s driveway with a for sale sign on it. I got the number and called them on my lunch break yesterday. I talk to the seller who is an older gentleman and he gives me the details: it’s a 1997 Cherokee Country, leather and all that good stuff, 98000mi, replaced the following: muffler, brakes, shocks, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and fresh oil, and he’s asking $2500 for it. I get off the phone and I’m thinking that there is surely something wrong with it. So I stopped to look at it on my way home from work (very cold out) and I talked with the seller for a few minutes and he just tosses me the key and says “go take it for a ride and check it out”. I open the hood and poke around, it’s a little dirty but no major issues are visible, there is a little oil at the back of the valve cover but not much else. I feel the block to see if he had warmed it up but its ice cold. So I hop in, and it fires right up and sounds just as it should. While it warms up, I got under it and looked around; there is ZERO rot, but a little oil on the TC. I’ve been around cars all my life so I don’t have an issue fixing things myself. The rear main seal on these seems easy to replace, so I’m not worried about that. After looking around, I hop in it again, and go for a spin. Drives great (needs an alignment though), 4x4 works great, all the electronics work, ABS light is on (I’m not worried about that, CT only does emissions). I wasn’t able to get on a highway, but I got it up to around 50 or so and didn’t notice any issues. I tried to hit a few bump/potholes to listen/feel for anything wrong but it was solid. So I went back to talk money, and he’s firm at $2500 but wants it gone ASAP. I told him that I’d get cash and would be back tomorrow (today) to pick it up.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I figured I’d make my first post count. Anyways, do you guys have any thoughts, comments, or derogatory remarks in regards to the Jeep? I was told by a buddy of mine who has a 98 XJ to buy it and not look back. But, I figured that I would ask the pros before I pulled the trigger on it.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like a steal to me. I don't see them around here that cheap. Especially since a rust free one is hard to come by in your area.

Just don't let it get away from you.

Welcome to the club.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

sounds good, i'd get on it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

buy it asap
Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Thats what I like to hear. I'm gonna give him a call soon and stop by on my lunch break to give him the cash and try to get it registered tomorrow.