What did you do to your Cherokee today? - Page 6005 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat
What did you do to your Cherokee today? >

What did you do to your Cherokee today?

Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

What did you do to your Cherokee today?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 12-05-2018, 04:42 PM
  #90061  
Junior Member
 
NRGXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 39
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default New Moog tie-rod end + spark plugs

Fun day replacing a busted driver's side tie-rod end. No more clunky steering sounds!
Along with new NGK ZFR5N spark plugs. The engine was misfiring with the old Champions, now all good.




NRGXJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:01 PM
  #90062  
Newbie
 
BowNHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 7
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Here's the link for the relay block. The quality is pretty good. I'll probably silicone the cover just to water proof a little better.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HJ4VN2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yhicCb80Z152M
BowNHead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:04 PM
  #90063  
Newbie
 
BowNHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 7
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by BowNHead View Post
I will put some links in here later but I am going with a power distribution block that has a lug for the battery cable and 12 contacts.
Here's the link for the relay block. The quality is pretty good. I'll probably silicone the cover just to water proof a little better.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HJ4VN2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yhicCb80Z152M
BowNHead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:24 AM
  #90064  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,211
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by BowNHead View Post
Here's the link for the relay block. The quality is pretty good. I'll probably silicone the cover just to water proof a little better.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HJ4VN2..._yhicCb80Z152M
That is the one I thought it was. The one thing that confused me about this set up is power and ground to the box.
Ralph77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 AM
  #90065  
Junior Member
 
S. Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 49
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by JeepWoman View Post
Any thoughts on a ATK engine?
If its the ATK engine at this link (http://www.high-performance-engines....uct-p/hp76.htm) I would try it out over a junkyard engine sent to a local rebuilder. If I were going 4.6 stroker I would purchase an engine from these guys simply for the fact if there is something wrong with it you can usually give them a call and they can help you out and they offer a warranty and the internals are a new crank, new bearings, new freeze plugs, all of the new parts that nickel and dime you during a rebuild or a stroker build. The only drawback of buying a rebuild from ATK would be its pretty pricey if you are not going to keep your jeep for a long time. I would say a shop would probably charge $2000 (someone feel free to correct me if this estimate is incorrect) to install this motor on top of the $3500 plus tax to purchase the motor from ATK. IMO that's not a bad price for a basically "NEW" uprated engine that will last many years with a two year warranty that I would not have to get dirty and take 2 months (read: taking my sweet time) to install. At the end of the day its all about what the budget is for the jeep and if you can afford to pay someone to install it twice if a junkyard motor ends up being junk.
S. Snake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 PM
  #90066  
Member
 
JeepWoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pasadena, Md.
Posts: 179
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default

Originally Posted by S. Snake View Post
If its the ATK engine at this link (http://www.high-performance-engines....uct-p/hp76.htm) I would try it out over a junkyard engine sent to a local rebuilder. If I were going 4.6 stroker I would purchase an engine from these guys simply for the fact if there is something wrong with it you can usually give them a call and they can help you out and they offer a warranty and the internals are a new crank, new bearings, new freeze plugs, all of the new parts that nickel and dime you during a rebuild or a stroker build. The only drawback of buying a rebuild from ATK would be its pretty pricey if you are not going to keep your jeep for a long time. I would say a shop would probably charge $2000 (someone feel free to correct me if this estimate is incorrect) to install this motor on top of the $3500 plus tax to purchase the motor from ATK. IMO that's not a bad price for a basically "NEW" uprated engine that will last many years with a two year warranty that I would not have to get dirty and take 2 months (read: taking my sweet time) to install. At the end of the day its all about what the budget is for the jeep and if you can afford to pay someone to install it twice if a junkyard motor ends up being junk.
Not that one, this is the one I'm looking at:Home Spartan/ATK Engines AMC 4.0/242 2000-01 Engine

Spartan/ATK Engines AMC 4.0/242 2000-01 Engine

JeepWoman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM
  #90067  
Newbie
 
ericjw1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: London. Ohio, USA
Posts: 23
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default

Originally Posted by JeepWoman View Post
Not that one, this is the one I'm looking at:Home Spartan/ATK Engines AMC 4.0/242 2000-01 Engine

Spartan/ATK Engines AMC 4.0/242 2000-01 Engine

My buddy's dad ordered one of those for his AMC Gremlin project 4 years ago. There were no Gremlins with original engines in our area, so he ordered this exact one. Everything was properly and well put together and already broke-in! Gave the Gremlin a warranty too lol. But its a trustworthy reman engine and the price is pretty good with the warranty. Gremlin is his DD and he has clocked 55k with no issues at all. I am eyeballing one when my 4.0 dies... Still got a while lol.
ericjw1991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM
  #90068  
Newbie
 
BowNHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 7
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I want to do something like this. Do you have any part numbers for anything you used. Not seeing the cable that would be attached to the battery for power to run the box? Still trying to figure out the best way to do this.
here's what I'm going to use
(Red) 12 Terminal Distribution Block -BUSBAR- With Ring Terminals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C57J8RC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EcwcCbNBZEMHX
BowNHead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:22 PM
  #90069  
Junior Member
 
S. Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 49
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by JeepWoman View Post
Not that one, this is the one I'm looking at:Home Spartan/ATK Engines AMC 4.0/242 2000-01 Engine

Spartan/ATK Engines AMC 4.0/242 2000-01 Engine

Oh okay I was just listing the 4.6 as that was what I found on ATK's website, however the engine you referenced should be built with a similar process minus the go fast stroker kit. I would trust a reman engine from advanced, autozone, oreilly's etc because they are built by companies whose everyday job is to produce remanufactured engines with warranties. bottom line if given the option I would purchase one of these longblocks and drop It in and go versus buy a junkyard engine hoping it will be ok. $2000 is an excellent price.
S. Snake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM
  #90070  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 4,880
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

I've done one rebuild myself, and a couple junkyard swaps. Those have gone fine. My dad had a remaned engine put in his mountaineer from a large engine remanufacturer and he had 3 put in before he got a good one and that one only lasted 20-30k before jumping timing and having to be replaced. I don't really trust remaned engines that much and would prefer a normal mileage factory 4.0 over a remaned 4.0. Not to mention the price tag being almost 10x less. (Based on the fact I paid less than $300 for the engines I purchased). To each their own, but I prefer the cheaper method.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:13 PM
  #90071  
Graphic Jeepsigner
 
jessenator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 618
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen View Post
I've done one rebuild myself, and a couple junkyard swaps. Those have gone fine. My dad had a remaned engine put in his mountaineer from a large engine remanufacturer and he had 3 put in before he got a good one and that one only lasted 20-30k before jumping timing and having to be replaced. I don't really trust remaned engines that much and would prefer a normal mileage factory 4.0 over a remaned 4.0. Not to mention the price tag being almost 10x less. (Based on the fact I paid less than $300 for the engines I purchased). To each their own, but I prefer the cheaper method.
I'm in agreement. Unless I knew the guy personally rebuilding the thing, I don't know how I'd feel about it.

The two swaps I've done, probably the most intensive was the first: new timing set, new oil pump (probably overkill), new water pump, new gaskets (not head), new hoses, new plugs, new coil and wiring. Second one I left out the few things I knew didn't need done, and both run like champs. Sold the first one to my buddy.

Unless the yard engines have had dodgy service histories (look for sludge and discoloration under the pan and valve cover), and haven't had head/gasket issues, you don't need to do much to fire them up.
jessenator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:33 PM
  #90072  
HUH? WHAT?
 
XJwonders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: west chester, pa
Posts: 18,756
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Weight reduction on the mj
XJwonders is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 PM
  #90073  
Seasoned Member
 
craigjacob1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 301
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by BowNHead View Post
Here's the link for the relay block. The quality is pretty good. I'll probably silicone the cover just to water proof a little better.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HJ4VN2..._yhicCb80Z152M

I bought two of these a while back. They are pretty decent, but are far from being water resistant. There is a massive hole in the bottom where the wiring is supposed to go.

The bussmann boxes are worth the extra money.
craigjacob1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM
  #90074  
Member
 
downs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Hunt County Texas
Posts: 193
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Cleaned up and reorganized the cargo area on the Jeep. Modded the lid on the military footlocker type box in the back to be able to strap things down on it.

Checked the transfer case because I've noticed a small leak from the output shaft seal. It was almost a quart low order a new seal and slip yoke bushing to get it fixed back up.
downs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:03 AM
  #90075  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default My friend put diesel in mybjerp

what should i do
John cochran is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Cherokee today?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: