XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What can yall tell me about this Jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What can yall tell me about this Jeep?

The ad is below.. There are quite a few mods done to the jeep. I dont really know much about jeeps and i thought i should get some input from some real enthusiasts before i took the plunge. im going to be using this as my DD during the winter.
--------------
The price is listed at 3950..
but right now i think i might have him down to 3200. he said he'd have to think about it and will let me know when he gets off work.

This is my 1996 Jeep Cherokee for sale. Automatic transmission, 4.0L inline 6 cylinder, 183,000 miles. NP231 Transfer case (2-Wheel Hi, 4-Wheel Hi, and 4-Wheel Lo).
I've owned this for the past 8 years, and now it's time for somebody else to enjoy it. Remember that snow we had here in Chattanooga last winter? This Jeep was the only vehicle at my work that could easily get around town. If you NEED to get to work this winter, no matter what, this is the vehicle for you. If you enjoyed your snow days, this is a seriously fun Jeep to drive around in all day anyway.
Gets about 16MPG city/18-20 MPG Hwy
Custom 5.5" lift consisting of:
Rubicon Express 5.5" standard lift
Rock Krawler adjustable upper and lower control arms ($180 for front, $229 for rear)
The adjust-ability of these gain caster adjust-ability and proper axle positioning. Because of these, this Jeep tracks straight down the road, and will even do 70 mph+ on the highway.
33x12.5x15 BFG Goodrich A/T's on 15x8 steel wheels painted black (I forgot the brand)
Bushwacker 4.5" Cut-Out fender flares (Ensures tire coverage legality)
-Just repainted as shown in photo number one (All other photos are one month old)
4.56 gears front and rear axles (Dana 30, and Chrysler 8.25, respectively)
-No lockers front or rear; helps ensure longer tire life
-Gears were professionally installed about 7 years ago, never had any problems
Powerslot front brake rotors and ceramic pads (pads may need to be replaced soon)
New rear drum brakes and pads (100 miles)
New Radiator and water pump (5,000 miles)
Roof rack comes with as seen in the first photo.

As with most vehicles that are 15 years old, there are a few minor problems.
My radio is dead. It just went out this week. My warranty on it expired last month from Best Buy. But it still has great Alpine speakers all around. (4 of them)
Headlights are wired on a toggle switch. And one of them is currently dead.
The interior isn't the cleanest/best condition. But for a 15 year old vehicle, it's not too bad. If it was a color other than tan, it wouldn't look too bad.
The headliner is sagging a little bit here and there.
A decent size dent and scratches on the roof near the rear. (Something fell on it, but it's not that noticeable as the roof rack covers it)
Cracked windshield and some rust underneath the truck
There are a few (2) spots on the exterior of the Jeep that have rust, both about 1" around.

Like I said, I've owned it for 8 years and it's been great, but it's time for me to get something else. I'm not really looking for trades at this time. I know this Jeep inside and out. I've done all the work on it (minus the gears) since I've owned it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you'd like to see it, let me know. I'm available after 5pm M-F and all weekend.

--------------------------
What do ya'll think? does it seem like a pretty good purchase? or does it look like a sticktly trail jeep?

Last edited by Chris747; 10-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Nah, that jeep would be decent on the road as well. Only thing that worries me is he says it has 5.5 inches of lift but didn't mention long arms, slip yoke eliminator, or new rear drive shaft. Also, why are the head lights on a toggle and who did the wiring? Lastly, didn't see a price.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Engine: 4.0

Can't tell you anything without the price $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
And yea headlight toggle is ghetto, be sure to tell him that, makes me nervous seeing as he said he did all the work.
But she sure is purrrty

Last edited by LegalizeFreedom; 10-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Looks pretty sweet. Not the best on gas I'm sure but will get you where you need to go.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the input man! ill be sure to ask those questions. i believe i am going to meet him tonight. the toggle switch thing is def odd to me too.

The price is listed at 3950..
but right now i think i might have him down to 3200. he said he'd have to think about it and will let me know when he gets off work.

Last edited by Chris747; 10-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by LegalizeFreedom
Can't tell you anything without the price $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
sorry bout that. i added it in the above post.

Originally Posted by Browny10783
Looks pretty sweet. Not the best on gas I'm sure but will get you where you need to go.
and im not to terribly concerned with gas. my current car is a 03 mustang GT. pretty heavily modded.
im excited to be joining the Jeep community, and look foward to learning a lot from you guys!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 98 4.0 I6

not too bad of price if you got him down some

Last edited by jomps; 10-25-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jomps
yes how much is asking price

i added it to the first post.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 PM

should the amount of mileage scare me? i've heard these in-line 6's are pretty solid, but never really heard from anyone with actuall expereince with them.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Well even at 3900, that's not a terrible price. Don't let him raise it at all, saying that he modded it. Lifts and bigger tires DO NOT increase the value of a vehicle, that stuff is all coming out of his pocket, not yours. If anything, they increase wear on joints and drivetrain. Be sure to check the unirail for dents, large scrapes and cracks, especially on the inboard side. Also check the tranny cross member for dents and misshapedness, if that's even a word. This will give you an indication as to how hard it might have been wheeled. There's a world of things to look for, pm me if you want more details, but I think you should be good with this little bit. Welcome to the wonderful word of XJ's.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to Chat.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mickey_00xj
Well even at 3900, that's not a terrible price. Don't let him raise it at all, saying that he modded it. Lifts and bigger tires DO NOT increase the value of a vehicle, that stuff is all coming out of his pocket, not yours. If anything, they increase wear on joints and drivetrain. Be sure to check the unirail for dents, large scrapes and cracks, especially on the inboard side. Also check the tranny cross member for dents and misshapedness, if that's even a word. This will give you an indication as to how hard it might have been wheeled. There's a world of things to look for, pm me if you want more details, but I think you should be good with this little bit. Welcome to the wonderful word of XJ's.
Thank man! thats some really good info right there. exactly what i was looking for!

Man i posted on like 3 different forums earlier today. and this is the only site i got any responses form! lol it was in a matter of mins here too!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Cuz CF is the best.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Cuz CF is the best.

WORD HOMIE...
Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Also he said he got it painted. Check for over spray. You might find some and be able to knock him down some more since you'll "need" to repaint those parts

Quick Reply: What can yall tell me about this Jeep?