Sponsored by: DashLynx

an unfortunate incident with an idiot who ran a red light, and into my jeep

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default an unfortunate incident with an idiot who ran a red light, and into my jeep

So I had the displeasure of having owned my XJ for about, oh a month, when (last week) some fool was texting and driving and ran a red light thru an intersection at which I had a green light.
I summoned my superhuman abilities and swerved and stopped *just so*, that his front bumper ran directly into my right rear wheel, causing minimal body damage (scraped fender and bumper corner cap)
However, my wheel didn't fare so well (scratched, dented, busted center cap) and I am assuming the alignment is off, among other things. I did experience slight pulling to the right and began smelling burning rubber from the right rear off and on after this happened.
The jeep is at a body shop today that is going all out to fix the minor damage to the fender, etc and put a reconditioned wheel on.
I am going to take it to a shop I know and trust from prior experiece with another vehicle to have an alignment done and check out the rear end, but I'd like to know what questions to ask them and what direction to point them in while looking for potential damage to the rear end. I'm not paying a dime for any of this, and I want to make the most of having the jeep shop-bound while it is.
SO...question is this: a ~20mph direct impact to a rear wheel could do what kind of damage to the rear end?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

Have the alignment checked- the Dana 35 in the rear of the XJ is notoriously weak- it could have easily bent the axle tubes or axle (or both).

If it is bent- don't replace with a D35, get an 8.8 installed. :-)
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Red91XJ
So I had the displeasure of having owned my XJ for about, oh a month, when (last week) some fool was texting and driving and ran a red light thru an intersection at which I had a green light.
I summoned my superhuman abilities and swerved and stopped *just so*, that his front bumper ran directly into my right rear wheel, causing minimal body damage (scraped fender and bumper corner cap)
However, my wheel didn't fare so well (scratched, dented, busted center cap) and I am assuming the alignment is off, among other things. I did experience slight pulling to the right and began smelling burning rubber from the right rear off and on after this happened.
The jeep is at a body shop today that is going all out to fix the minor damage to the fender, etc and put a reconditioned wheel on.
I am going to take it to a shop I know and trust from prior experiece with another vehicle to have an alignment done and check out the rear end, but I'd like to know what questions to ask them and what direction to point them in while looking for potential damage to the rear end. I'm not paying a dime for any of this, and I want to make the most of having the jeep shop-bound while it is.
SO...question is this: a ~20mph direct impact to a rear wheel could do what kind of damage to the rear end?
That Su#, Well you can have them check the uni-body for bending and also the shackles and where the leafs bolt to the uni-body. As for the rear itself you may have a bent axle or tube or even a bent backing plate for the brakes. Have them check EVERYTHING carefully so a while down the road nothing pops up and surprises you...Good Luck...Tj
Old 09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Have them check all the mounting hardware holding the rear axle on. Im sure something is bent and torn if the majority of the impact was on the wheel
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

Thank you all for your feedback...tomorrow is the day. I just want my jeep back
Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Year: 2000

i see a heavy duty rear axle in your future