Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines
Default Truck-Lite LED Pros/cons review.. Pic Heavy

In the summer of 2014 I picked up some Gen2 Truck-Lite LEDs for the 2000 XJ
These things are awesome. Well built super tough metal housing,
Hard coated polycarbonate lens. These headlights are super heavy duty.

The headlights look awesome on the Jeep. Kinda had to get use to the look of these headlights cause of the split low/high beams.

The light output will blow you away. The cutoff lines are decent. The light output Kelvin color is 5800k. A pure nice LED white light, not blue.

These are day shots, I was very impressed.

Lowbeams in the daylight looking straight on.

Here are the Highbeams in the daylight.

I cant find any of my night shots but please trust me they rock in the dark.

Here is one shot of night from my dash cam.
This pic doesn't do them justice, but in person wow.

I was concerned one day when it was raining real bad outside.
The lights didn't seem to have enough heat to evap the water off the lights like the H4 Autopals.

But it didn't effect the light output, kinda made them seem brighter lol.
I was a little concerned, "How will they do in the snow?" I thought in the back of my mind.

Then the snow came. I was on the way home, the temp was 25f and snowing. I could only see my PIAA fogs showing, hmmm.

When I made it home, I noticed no light showing on my garage door as I pulled up, just my PIAA fogs showing bright yellow. My truck-lites usually
look great and overpower the PIAA fogs. I got out and this is what I saw.

I thought hmm, looked at the temp and it was 25f.

In closing these headlights are great, but if you live where it snows heavy and wet and the temps are down in the 20's, these lights cant keep up.

I put my Autopals back in for the heat, will use the T/L in the summer.

I did a test and put one T/L LED back in and went to the store. It was light/medium snowing when I left, not so much when I got home. So when I got home I made this vid. Here it is.

Pros.. Super bright, great cutoff lines,DOT approved, Metal housings, Hard coated polycarbonate lens, Pure white light not blue.

Cons.. No real heat output to keep clear from snow, If you live in a place like Alaska..

Don't get me wrong I love them, They will be my summer lights. I hope this helps someone out there.

If you have Trucklite LEDs headlights and they are doing good for you in the snow, you are lucky. Come to AK you will change your tune real fast. They just cant keep up when its super cold out and snowing heavy wet snow.

I had to move this review to the top, Roni did a great first impression on them.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVVVVV
Originally Posted by roninofako
In the interest of keeping the thread alive, and providing as much constructive criticism as I can, I got these today...

Attachment 260899

First off, I will say this: They are extremely well made. Just holding them in your hand feels good. They have a definite hefty feel, without being too heavy, if that makes sense...the fit and finish is very clean, they are designed well. The lenses are super clear, but in my opinion, could be a bit heftier. To me they would be better if they were made of glass, and from a manufacturing standpoint, that would be my only change, either a beefier poly lens, or a glass lens...I'm sure there's a reason behind it, and as previously stated, it's probably because of snow...I'm sure they have done extensive testing and chose what they did for a reason, but it is just my opinion, and not a show stopper by any means.

The reflectors inside are mirror-like. The thing I find cool about these lights is when you look at them they look black. That's because they're reflecting the black portions of the internal structure...cool factor.

The electronic portion of these lights is small, from what I can see, the exposed portion of the PCB the LED's are mounted on, is about 3/4" x 3/4"...I was in electronic manufacturing for the aerospace industry for 20+ years, and the majority of the components I can see are surface mounted, with two through-hole solder joints from the top PCB to the bottom PCB, and all of the solder joints I can see would pass NASA standards easily, I know a good solder joint when I see one, LOL...the wiring is a good heavy gauge, looks to be around 18 AWG, PTFE insulation, and the connector pins are well crimped with no exposed wire strands or stray nicks on the insulation.

One more thing I think is important to mention...I bought these used, and am actually the third owner of these lights, and they look brand spankin' new. Just thought that was worth mentioning...they seem to hold up well.

So all that said, this is just my aesthetic, out-of-the-box review...I won't have any actual usage reports until I'm done with the stroker swap. I will update with more pics and before/after opinions of the light output, cutoff, and so on. Will post up more as I have it...

Last edited by Dumajones; 03-08-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee

this is why the jw speakers are >*

crazy $$ though.

its too bad, cuz the trucklites are $350pr shipped on amazon
Old 12-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by rzldzl
this is why the jw speakers are >*

crazy $$ though.

its too bad, cuz the trucklites are $350pr shipped on amazon
Yeah it is too bad, I was in love with them all summer, But hell I'm having fun again playing with bulbs for the Autopals. They have so many diffrent types of H4 bulbs.
It is fun looking around for different types of watts and color bulbs. I never go over 5000k on my H4, I hate that ricer blue color.

Last edited by Dumajones; 12-06-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

what bulb is in the h4 housing in the comparison pic? it looks awfully dim. my silverstars are basically white when seen on a fence or garage door etc. thanks for the review, I've been heavily contemplating the purchase of some truck lites. but given the snow and cold temps here I think I'll just start experimenting with bulbs.

Last edited by s346k; 12-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by s346k
what bulb is in the h4 housing in the comparison pic? it looks awfully dim. my silverstars are basically white when seen on a fence or garage door etc.
Like these pics of the Autoplas 80/100 5000k

Lowbeam

High Beam

Once I put the T/L in, it overpowered the Autopal and mad it look dim in the pic , Camera setting wasn't set up right.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

ah I gotcha. I noticed my iphone will dim the lights and make them look yellow in the pics. long time listener, first time caller. thanks.

I was thinking of getting some piaa 15224s. I have an upgraded harness already. the silverstars work very well, but I want to see what other bulbs will do.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Default Maybe some custom additions

Hows about crafting some Mercedes or Volvo head lamp wipers ?????

How cool would that be? & TL s year round, It could be done with a little imagination
Old 12-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by belstaff
Hows about crafting some Mercedes or Volvo head lamp wipers ?????

How cool would that be? & TL s year round, It could be done with a little imagination
Meh! to much of a pain for me when the Autopals never let me down..
__________________________________________________ ________________________

I did contact Truck-L Tech support via phone and asked about the new heated ones.
They do not have heated ones in 5x7. The guy said they might never.
The only heated ones they have are these. But they are for military only

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...oductId=106527

Like I said I will use them in the summer. Then switch over to the Pals in the winter..
Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post..................................
I am considering LEDs..........I was wondering about the heat output, and snow.
This is good info for the knowledge bank........

I currently have Autopal housings, and Silverstar-Ultra 55/60w H4 bulbs.....

Thank you.

Last edited by Firehawk068; 12-06-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by Firehawk068
Great post..................................
I am considering LEDs..........I was wondering about the heat output, and snow.
This is good info for the knowledge bank........

I currently have Autopal housings, and Silverstar-Ultra 55/60w H4 bulbs.....

Thank you.
That is a good set up, one question did you also upgrade your wiring harness? That also is a must for running the H4 conversion.
Im running 80/100w for the little extra heat and output to see in heavy snow fall at night, Plus my PIAA fogs are backing up the whole show..lol

Harness
http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx

SIDE NOTE
-----No upgraded harness needed for the Truck-lites. The draw is real low, so they wont burn up headlight switches---

Last edited by Dumajones; 12-06-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wonder if you could rig up a heater for the led headlights or some kinda coating so the snow don't stick.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dumajones
That is a good set up, one question did you also upgrade your wiring harness? That also is a must for running the H4 conversion.
Im running 80/100 for the little extra heat and output to see in heavy snow fall at night, Plus my PIAA fogs are backing up the whole show..lol

Harness
http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx

SIDE NOTE
-----No upgraded harness needed for the Truck-lites. The draw is real low, so they wont burn up headlight switches---
I have not addressed the factory harnesses yet..........(I actually had to fix the ground on my left pigtail recently)
I am probably going to get the harness, and splice in the better/more common Bosch relays. (Those relays that come with the Putco harness are not very reliable. I have the same relay on my driving lights on my Firehawk, and have replaced it 3 times already. They are also almost impossible to find locally)

I've got Hella 530 Amber Fog lights for those snowy/foggy nights.........................

Last edited by Firehawk068; 12-06-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Wonder if you could rig up a heater for the led headlights or some kinda coating so the snow don't stick.
I used some rain-x , The pics with the snow have R/X on them. but In the rain the Rain-x did great..

Originally Posted by Firehawk068
I have not addressed the factory harnesses yet..........(I actually had to fix the ground on my left pigtail recently)
I am probably going to get the harness, and splice in the better/more common Bosch relays. (Those relays that come with the Putco harness are not very reliable. I have the same relay on my driving lights on my Firehawk, and have replaced it 3 times already. They are also almost impossible to find locally)

I've got Hella 530 Amber Fog lights for those snowy/foggy nights.........................
I have heard that many times about the relays, I only had one go out so fare. The relays need to have a good ground. I scraped down to bare metal where they were mounted.

I switch the P/C harness over to my 96 and haven't had any issue yet.

The harness I'm running now in the 2000 is this cheap one on Ebay. It is doing great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330997592807

Last edited by Dumajones; 10-20-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990

The Putco works fine if you ground it well as Duma suggests, and if you mount their relays correctly.

Don't push your luck with the stock harness and H4s or you'll also be purchasing a headlight switch..

Just so you know, the light output in Lumens from stock bulbs, when only the harness is installed, is 40% brighter.
Attached Thumbnails Truck-Lite LED Pros/cons review.. Pic Heavy-putco-relays.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 10:07 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990

Thanks Duma, for the great thread. I'm bookmarking it to share on other forums.

Quick Reply: Truck-Lite LED Pros/cons review.. Pic Heavy