Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB
Default TJ compared to Cherokee ...

... by TJ owners.

So I was on JeepForum a short while ago & I saw the title above on a TJ forum. Curious, I wanted to see what they were saying ... but I really wanted to tell the OP that he would get a different set of answers on an XJ forum.

What I read was not what I expected. Click the link ...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-compared-cherokee-1232612/
Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only one guy didn't like the XJ!
Damn Germans! why did they kill the XJ in favor of the KJ? (Krout Jeep)
Old 08-17-2011, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Seems they only bash the XJ when they know we're listening!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Having just moved up/down/over from a TJ to an XJ - I much prefer the XJ.

The benefits to the TJ that I can see:
Full frame
Convertible
No body work needed to run larger tires
Rollbar (not that I ever used it )

With the XJ, I can have bags and the dogs along for a weekend trip and that's without a luggage rack. My TJ was a softtop so having a conversation or listening to the stereo while on the highway was nearly impossible.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I ca't believe it. Every one of those guys had a Cherokee and then switched to a TJ AND they all like their XJs better. I think it is hillarious they bought those overpriced POSs....:l aughing::l aughing:
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by GMTURBO
My TJ was a softtop so having a conversation or listening to the stereo while on the highway was nearly impossible.
My XJ has 33" mud tires and a Folwmaster 40. I don't even listen to the stereo let alone have a conversation. It's more like a yell fest!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I have 33s and a Flowmaster 40 with 2.5" pipe. I can listen to the stereo and conversate just fine in my XJ....Oh yeah, AND my heater and A/C both work great and keep the heat or cold inside just fine....LMAO.....oh, you silly Wrongler guys.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
I have 33s and a Flowmaster 40 with 2.5" pipe. I can listen to the stereo and conversate just fine in my XJ....Oh yeah, AND my heater and A/C both work great and keep the heat or cold inside just fine....LMAO.....oh, you silly Wrongler guys.
Same here, I even got the hi-flow cat on mine and the noise isn't too bad inside.

I have the inside completely gutted, no paneling or any sound-deadener, pulled out my headliner and even with everything gone down to wires and bare metal, there's no sound difference that I've noticed.

However right now my starter is jacked and makes the most unbearable clanking sound, i've got a new one to switch it out with but have been too lazy lol. Half the time mine doesn't even turn over so I climb under my jeep and jump the starter to start my jeep. I bet everyone on the street thinks I'm jacking a car when I do this downtown lol
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Well I have to say, Going from an 07 wrangler (J/K) to a 01 Xj I like the xj better, the xj has a lot more usable space and good driver vision . my wrangler was horrible unless I had it stripped down (that was the only thing I miss about it)over all i love the XJ ..........I'm converted
Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

My mom had an 02 tj, bright yellow, and it sucked on get up and go! my xj can smoke some ricers! well off the line anyways!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6 cyl.

I always wanted a CJ7 Scrambler. My whole life. It was just never practical, as I needed a truck, and always needed at least a 3/4 ton truck.

Once I finally was financially able to go buy a Jeep and keep the truck, I had begun to have some pretty severe eye problems. I have to wear contacts to drive and the open air of a Jeep just wasn't any good. I had friends that had jeeps that I'd occasionally drive, and I still always wanted one.

FAst forward to earlier this year. I wanted a fishing, camping, and winter driving war wagon. I looked at Wranglers, but again, they just weren't practical for me. I started doing research on 4WD SUV's and found began looking seriously at XJ's that were more than stock. So I bought a cheap stock XJ to start messing with.

Yes, my XJ is small inside. I actually like that. It feels like a go cart to me. I'm used to driving a huge, lumbering 80 foot long beast and I LOVE how the XJ feels. With it's 5-spd, I think it's a blast to drive and it's become my daily driver, although I really didn't have that in mind until I drove it after it was delivered to me.

I still occasionally drive a buddy's TJ that's a 5-spd. My XJ has more power. I have a buddy who's wife's DD is a JK. That thing is so cool, but it drives like it's dragging a grain barge without a trailer. It's a V-6 auto. My brother just got an '06 TJ with an auto and a 4.0 and it's been re-geared (Not sure to what) and that SOB will definitely get with the program, but it's only fun for a few minutes for me. I just don't care to drive an auto. It just makes it seem to much like "Mom's car" for some reason to me. I've always preferred manual transmissions for some reason.

I guess what I've learned is that of all the Jeeps I've driven, my completely stock 5-spd XJ is more fun for me to drive than any of the other built Jeeps I've driven. I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT to get it lifted and the build started!!! I KNOW it will be an absolute blast then!!!!

Last edited by Paddletrucker; 08-18-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

Quote from JF, "For the negatives.... passenger room sucks. I'm 6' 205lbs and I find both the front drivers seat and passenger seat to cramped for my frame." LOL I'm 6'6" & I sit the XJ Fine where as most older Wranglers are the cramped ones...... Lets see a full grown Adult, even a girl sit behind me comfortably in a Wrangler! LOL
Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by The JRod
Quote from JF, "For the negatives.... passenger room sucks. I'm 6' 205lbs and I find both the front drivers seat and passenger seat to cramped for my frame." LOL I'm 6'6" & I sit the XJ Fine where as most older Wranglers are the cramped ones...... Lets see a full grown Adult, even a girl sit behind me comfortably in a Wrangler! LOL
Yeah I thought about that too, I'm 6'2 and have never had a problem sitting, laying or sleeping anywhere in my XJ. I have a hard time getting comfortable riding pass in my roommates wrongler.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Owned a 97 TJ before my beloved 00 XJ... With 31's on each of them and running the stock manual's and 3.07 gears the XJ would leave the wrongler in dust... I will admit it was nice to once in a while go out with no top on.... but i like hearing my friends and I talk or the music much more than I do wheeling or driving around with no top....
Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by AKinHI
Yeah I thought about that too, I'm 6'2 and have never had a problem sitting, laying or sleeping anywhere in my XJ. I have a hard time getting comfortable riding pass in my roommates wrongler.
He might have power seats. My '92 has power seats & there is noticeably less adjustmnet and room up front than my old '99 which had manual everything. Those manual seats slide way back. I'm 5'9" & envy that.