Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thoughts on street tires...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Thoughts on street tires...

Hey all, the 98 XJ I picked up has thrashed old wrangler radials on it, worse, they has unequal size tires in the rear, with a traklock...Now I dont really want to buy more of those, as this will primarily be driven on regular roads, with some minor dirt excursions here and there. Cant afford to go mod crazy right off the bat, so have to think logically with tires for now. I have Hankook H724 tires on my hardbody truck and have had zero complaints about them, they are quiet, track well, never complained about heavy loads/trailers, etc. I can get a full set of these for an almost ridiculous price...

Thoughts???

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

H724's are alright. H727's are substantially better, however.

When generating this list, I'm going to assume that you have 15" wheels. There are some fantastic tires out there but aren't available to 15" wheels, so I won't list them.

General Grabber HTS
Firestone Destination LE2
Michelin LTX MS2 or Defender LTX M/S
Yokohama Geolandar H/T G056
Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 (I'm currently using these)
Old 09-24-2015, 07:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

OP here's a compromise. Get yourself a set of Destination ATs. Fantastic in ran, dirt, light mud and snow. Mines did great even at the wear bars last winter. I'm running GG AT2 now but honestly for you the destinations are a better option. They are tough as hell too.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

Depends on your budget. look into the goodyear wranglers. i think there are 3 steps with authorities on the top end. im runnng authorities on mine they run about 230 a piece at wally world. but they have less aggressive versions to.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

I have Hankook Dynapro ATMs and they are pretty nice. Not a serious offroad tread, but decent A/T
Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kgm
I have Hankook Dynapro ATMs and they are pretty nice. Not a serious offroad tread, but decent A/T
I was gonna get those way back when, instead the destinations, but no one near me had them in stock or could get them fast. So I read up and got reviews on the destinations and it was worth it.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Personally, I wouldn't run 724's or any other strictly street tire, kind of defeats the whole point of having a Jeep. Mschi gives some good alternatives, or look on Craigslist for some take-offs wheels/tires from another Jeep. Might be able to find some lightly used ATs for pretty cheap.
If you lived closer to me I'd GIVE you the street tires I took off my XJ.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM

I suppose wheel info and budget would have been valuable information.....

Going to be running 02 TJ wheels, and budget is that of a les schwab generic customer. Unfortunately nobody local is pulling off tires, only thing available is in Lodi, 100 miles or so away.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 68Datsun510
I suppose wheel info and budget would have been valuable information.....

Going to be running 02 TJ wheels, and budget is that of a les schwab generic customer. Unfortunately nobody local is pulling off tires, only thing available is in Lodi, 100 miles or so away.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!
You could also get some cheaper A/T's for daily use and have a cheaper set of stock rims with retreads you can throw on for your adventures. plenty of awesome retread Offroad tire companies out there. https://www.treadwright.com/individu...-31-11R15.00-C
Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

OP, get a quote on destination AT or hankook. You cab look at my build thread to see mines when I had 235/70/16. I went to Rausch when it was snowing and they didn't skip a beat. Also, you have to check, retreads aren't legal for steering tires in some municipalities for passenger vehicles.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
OP, get a quote on destination AT or hankook. You cab look at my build thread to see mines when I had 235/70/16. I went to Rausch when it was snowing and they didn't skip a beat. Also, you have to check, retreads aren't legal for steering tires in some municipalities for passenger vehicles.
hmm never knew that. always nice to know. I like to run a set of retreads on trails and then swap em back to my authorities when i get home.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Any opinions on the Mastercraft/Cooper Courser LTR/STR tires?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:40 PM

I have a buddy that runs on coopers. Nothing but good reviews from him and he wheels them.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

OP asks for highway tires... Forum full of Jeepers recommend AT's and aggressive AT's. Classic.

68Datsun510, be CLEAR about what size you'll be using and what you will and won't be using it for. You asked about highway tires, I listed my top picks for highway tires, most of which couldn't be cheaper especially during rebate season. I'd like to know exactly what your needs are and are not because either I'm off the mark, or these guys recommending more aggressive and more expensive tires are.

They don't impress me much. There are much better highway tires for the highway, and their are much better AT tires for those wanting a jack of all trades even for roughly the same money, too.

Originally Posted by CherokeeHoonigan
Depends on your budget. look into the goodyear wranglers. i think there are 3 steps with authorities on the top end. im runnng authorities on mine they run about 230 a piece at wally world. but they have less aggressive versions to.
There are WAY more Wranglers. Just recommending Goodyear Wranglers is useless, and most tires in the Wrangler family are garbage. The only Wrangler model that isn't overpriced in my opinion is the Radial which, while not overpriced, is mediocre--better tires can be had for the same price especially if highway use is the primary function of the tires.

Originally Posted by mschi772
Oh, c'mon, guys. Stop saying just "Goodyear Wrangler" already! Which Wrangler?

Goodyear Wrangler Adventure?
Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac?
Goodyear Wrangler AT?
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S?
Goodyear Wrangler Authority?
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac?
Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT?
Goodyear Wrangler HP?
Goodyear Wrangler HT?
Goodyear Wrangler MTR?
Goodyear Wrangler Radial?
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor?
Goodyear Wrangler SR-A?
Goodyear Wrangler ST?
Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark?

Last edited by mschi772; 09-24-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Year: 1998

My Goodyear wrangler radials (235/75/15) have amazing road manners and for 80 bucks a piece I really have nothing bad to say about them plus the raised outlined white letter looks good on the Cherokees IMO. I had these in Light mud ( never got stuck ) , in the rain ( tends to understeer a bit) , on dry pavement i can perform the moose test doing 50 mph and not even hear a sound from the tires!! In the snow ( havn't gotten that far hahaha) .

Quick Reply: Thoughts on street tires...