Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

thoughts on 3 inch up front with 2 in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default thoughts on 3 inch up front with 2 in the rear?

!!~noob~alert~!!

i was looking at this kit specifically, http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-...001-p8703.aspx .

any thoughts on it? what else am i looking to buy to lift my stock jeep? its a 2x4 with a 4.0 bought at the right price, so i thought i'd do a little research. what can i do with my 2x4 jeep? i know not much climbing but will it do good in the desert with a lift like this? and what kind of speeds can i expect to ride comfortably?

as far as what else i would need to buy for the lift, i would assume longer dampeners, brake lines, possibly longer speedo cable? am i on the right track?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by speedtrash
!!~noob~alert~!!

i was looking at this kit specifically, http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-...001-p8703.aspx .

any thoughts on it? what else am i looking to buy to lift my stock jeep? its a 2x4 with a 4.0 bought at the right price, so i thought i'd do a little research. what can i do with my 2x4 jeep? i know not much climbing but will it do good in the desert with a lift like this? and what kind of speeds can i expect to ride comfortably?

as far as what else i would need to buy for the lift, i would assume longer dampeners, brake lines, possibly longer speedo cable? am i on the right track?
IMO:
-I'd rather have either the same or a little more lift in the rear to keep it evened out, especially when loaded. Most Jeeps are sagging in the rear a little anyway.
-Speedo cable is not impacted by lift height - no change needed.
-Brake lines will likely by OK, but longer ones will not hurt. I ran stock lines on a 3" lift for a while with no issues, but with the sway bar off, it would stretch pretty tight when it was flexing offroad.
-As long as your trackbar and steering is adjusted properly to deal with the height change, and the jeep is properly aligned, you should be able to do any speed with the lift that you can do stock.
-Shocks, like the brake lines, will probably be fine. You may want to unhook one side and see how much down travel is available in them afterwards. You don't want them maxing out.

Good times.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

And about the desert...how it does and how much it breaks will depend on how you drive it. The extra height should give you some extra wiggle room on the bumpy stuff, but if you are jumping it, it'll be really hard on any lift or vehicle you have.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

lift it 3 in the rear and 4.5 in the front!!! then slap 31's on it and it be sexy!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 PM

haha wheeler you have the right idea! but unfortunately i wanna keep the fuel cost down as i drive from los angeles to san diego daily! haha seriously. the lift and tires ill put on it will be mostly cosmetic just cause i dont wanna thrash the cherokee, its in pretty good shape! im just not a fan of the stock look!

thanx for the info on the lift floyd!