Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking of trading my GTI for a Jeep..advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Thinking of trading my GTI for a Jeep..advice

I have a nice 02 GTI with a lot of work done recent and it is a VERY nice looking car. I always get people asking me about it.

Well, now I am looking to do a straight trade for a 4-door car or an SUV because of my graduation present...a Great Dane. I won't be able to fit him in my GTI when he gets bigger. (Gained 50lbs the last 2 months and he is only 4 months old).

I had someone contact me that owns a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport XJ, auto with 200k on it. It's the 4.0L which he claims lasts forever.

Anyone have any advice? Any specific questions I should ask?

Serious replies only.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by clevelandjeep
I have a nice 02 GTI with a lot of work done recent and it is a VERY nice looking car. I always get people asking me about it.

Well, now I am looking to do a straight trade for a 4-door car or an SUV because of my graduation present...a Great Dane. I won't be able to fit him in my GTI when he gets bigger. (Gained 50lbs the last 2 months and he is only 4 months old).

I had someone contact me that owns a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport XJ, auto with 200k on it. It's the 4.0L which he claims lasts forever.

Anyone have any advice? Any specific questions I should ask?

Serious replies only.

Thanks!
Welcome to CF. I'm sure you have a great ride, and hate to part with it. I'd pass on that XJ because of the mileage. It's true they last a long time, but that's a lot of miles there, so look for one with around half of that.
Or sell the GTI then buy what you want.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Willing to hear many opinions on this.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Probably best to put a good to slightly above market value price on your car and see if you can sell it outright. Look around for a cherokee you like and compare the difference between your car and the jeep. 200k seems like a lot for a 99. Mine is an 89 and 247k. Research well, it's worth it
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I'm sure you'll get differing opinions on this. I used to own several modified GLHTurbo Omni's, so I'd love to have a GTI, but my wife wouldn't be happy if I traded.
Good luck, and great dog by the way.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

4.0 does last forever... but 200k is at least half way through it's life, find a fresher one, stick with older though. after 97, they got pretty "modern" with government emissions and overloaded with electrical spaghetti.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jurnymn
Probably best to put a good to slightly above market value price on your car and see if you can sell it outright. Look around for a cherokee you like and compare the difference between your car and the jeep. 200k seems like a lot for a 99. Mine is an 89 and 247k. Research well, it's worth it
I've been trying to do some research which has led me to these great forums. I like the enthusiasm the Jeep owners have.

200k does seem like a ton of miles for a 99'. Tough decision...do you think it would at least be able to last another 40-50k? It may be tough for me to sell my car and use only that cash to find another car. I graduated with my bachelors in business and have not been able to find a job for the past 4 months that I will enjoy or even pays well. I'm back in school to be an RN now and only need to have a vehicle last me for two years..
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
I'm sure you'll get differing opinions on this. I used to own several modified GLHTurbo Omni's, so I'd love to have a GTI, but my wife wouldn't be happy if I traded.
Good luck, and great dog by the way.
Yeah, those little cars are a blast to drive!

I love my dog, he is hilarious. It's going to be hard to imagine him any bigger but he's got a long way to go to hit the average Great Dane range of 170-200lbs. He would look GREAT in a Jeep.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm almost sure it would last another 50k, prob a lot more, but I would have someone do a good lookover that knows what to look for in jeeps. Not just an ordinary mechanic. Is there a 4 wheel shop in your area? If it's in decent shape it would make a good choice.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jurnymn
I'm almost sure it would last another 50k, prob a lot more, but I would have someone do a good lookover that knows what to look for in jeeps. Not just an ordinary mechanic. Is there a 4 wheel shop in your area? If it's in decent shape it would make a good choice.
Well, the place I told him I would meet up is close to my uncles auto shop. He's been working on cars and building them his entire life. I think he may be able to help. I don't know how his knowledge of Jeeps are though.

It has the original Auto tranny. Do you think there will be any issues with that?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Mine is an auto as well. 87 through 2001 use an Aisin-Warner AW-4. It should be fine. I kinda rather have an auto if I'm offroad. Just have him look it over, the normal, oil, trans fluid. Check for wear in the front end. If he's built cars I'm sure he has an eye for things that could be an issue, if there is any.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
4.0 does last forever... but 200k is at least half way through it's life, find a fresher one, stick with older though. after 97, they got pretty "modern" with government emissions and overloaded with electrical spaghetti.
Yeah the emissions and electrical spaghetti are kinda crazy with my car.

What is your opinion based on the fact I only need it to last approx. 50k?

What is your opinion on the transmission? It's the original.

Last edited by clevelandjeep; 10-10-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: needed
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
Yeah the emissions are electrical spaghetti are kinda crazy with my car.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Around here your gti is worth more then a xj,I wouldn't trade him unless he gave me a grand or two cash on top.200k is high to me i know a jeep can last longer then that but it depends a lot on maintenance and how it was drove.If the owner is a guy under 25 i would walk away because i know its probably been drove hard.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by clevelandjeep
Yeah the emissions are electrical spaghetti are kinda crazy with my car.

If it's a Cherokee and not a Grand Cherokee, then it has the aisin warner Aw4, which is almost as solid as these motors. the final deciding factor should be how well it was taken care of. And yah, that motor is likely to go another 200k if it's been taken care of.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my GTI for a Jeep..advice