Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Thank You XJ Problem Solving Posters!

Old 02-19-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Thank You XJ Problem Solving Posters!

OK —- so I bought this beautiful green Jeep XJ Sport new in Jan 2000, drove it 4 years, paid it off and then gave it to my mom to drive because she needed a vehicle. She’s had it all this time... and she finally got another vehicle, so she gave it back to me.

I drove it home and it started to hit me... it’s in nearly impeccable condition for being that old, and I look- 111,000 miles. I *know* it had 52+ when I let go of it. Holy F

I thought I might sell it but I now I don’t think I want to all. I’m really kind of thrilled to have it back!!

Runs beautifully. Starts instantly. Stack of all the years of various repair receipts, inspections etc. I’m almost giddy lol. Just a few needful things.
Radio no longer works at all. Headliner is held up with pushpins. Plastic side trim is badly faded as are the bumper corners. Some angry birds paint scars here and there, needs rubbing compound but the paint is good. She kept it in the garage because there was a small rain leak in the passenger footwell......

Now for the “Thank You” .. and it’s a BIG thank you. To everyone who has posted how they solved a common XJ issue. Because of you guys:

I know what the passenger footwell leak is caused by and more than one option to curtail it
Why the driver’s side speaker wouldn’t work after I replaced the sound system
How to replace the sound system
How to remove the door panels
HOW to fix the broken speaker wire in the driver’s side door boot ��
How to remove the plastic side molding with a rubber wheel
How to get past a sudden frustrating cold start issue

And today... even though all the windows were willing to go up and down happily, the passenger front decided it would now only do the go down thing, no more up lol. Not convenient anytime, very inconvenient in winter. Yet someone on here suggested swapping the up and down wires on the switch.

I now already knew how to take the door panel apart, so I gave it go. I ended up cutting the wires to swap them, but IT WORKED. Window back up. This in February is simply awesome news.

Thank you guys so much for posting issues and answering others who are frustrated trying to figure such stuff out!!!

Last edited by Bart Mack; 02-19-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Good looking Jeep you got there. And i agree. The people here are a HUGE help. Welcome, from a fellow new guy.