To sale or not to sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default To sale or not to sale

Hey everyone, looking for some input. Earlier this year I over heated the XJ (rusted out freeze plugs drained the fluid). Got a new car, XJ sat all year until this past weekend when I tore it apart and replaced the freeze plugs. Now when I start it, thing runs like ****. Rough ideal, smoky, and feels gutless. Not to mention the squeaking noise I'm hearing from something internal.

So at this point it's looking like it's time for a rebuild/motor swap. Seeing how the XJ has over 250k miles on it, mainly used for winter driving and minor once in a blue moon off road, would you rebuild/swap out the motor or sell it and move onto something newer? based on the cost alone of rebuilding/new parts, redoing the head, new lifters/rods/etc, would be about the same is if I put it towards something newer and just sold the XJ as its for parts or a fix-er upper.

Set aside the bias of how we all love our XJs , what would you do in my shoes. Money is tight but I could manage to go either way over the next year.

Pros for rebuilding/swap - has off road tires, has full frame stuffners, CB and new speakers, tranny was rebuilt within the past 3 years, and a ton of newer replacement parts were put on such as wheel hubs, transfer case, shocks, springs.

Cons - $1000-2000 bucks for rebuild, take chance on junk yard used motor, 250k miles on it, paint coming off, rust starting to spread as it was a west cost vehicle now living in WI where they salt the roads, header needs to be replaced, one of the 4 tires needs to be replaced.

Edit: 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0

Last edited by kissthis66; 12-26-2016 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It's really up to you. It doesn't seem like you really were to fond of the XJ. I don't think this question would be much of a question for most here. The xj is a great vehicle. Like you said we all love them here and fixing it back up isn't too much of an issue. Or if we did sell it, it wouldn't be for a different vehicle. It would be for another xj haha. So if comes down to what you want. Did you love the xj and all her quirks? Did you Like maintaining a vehicle yourself? It's all up to you.