XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Rough Country 3" lift (full leaf) review

Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rough Country 3" lift (full leaf) review

This is an early, short review of the initial impression I've gotten from the lift. I'm only going to discuss road manners, because I haven't had time to go wheeling yet, and besides, I need to hone in a few other issues before I'll feel ready to take her off road.

I went with the full leaf packs since my stock leafs were sagging, and I've heard Add-A-Leaf is a very short lived band-aid for that problem.

I also bought a JKS adjustable track bar to keep the front axle centered.

The rear was a breeze to install. I recommend spending the extra money to get new bolts for everything. You'll feel a lot better with all new hardware for shocks and springs, and will eliminate the possibility of a bent or worn bolt causing problems down the road.

The rear leaf springs were NOT too short as many had warned me could happen, they lined right up and the shackles are at a perfect angle.

I dislike the silver used on the coil springs and shocks. I painted the coils black (much better look IMO), but left the shocks alone. I feel like the kit should have come with shock boots as a freebie, but I was given a free shipping discount for mentioning this forum, so I can't complain there.

The front coil spring installation isn't quite as easy as RC's video made it seem. The passenger side required unbolting the lower control arm and some significant prying to slip it into place, while the driver's side went in with no trouble at all.

The driver's side front upper shock nut is impossible to get an Impact on thanks to the master cylinder, but the nut was easy to spin off with an end wrench, so no worries.

We also opted to keep the sway bars connected for the mean time, as this is my daily driver and I will upgrade to quick disco's when I can afford them.

Initial ride quality impressions - excellent. We let the suspension settle on the ground at ride height before tightening the leaf springs and LCA's down, so the torsion on the bushings is where it needs to be.

It feels just a bit floatier than it did stock, but not by a lot. I contribute much of the ride improvement to the fact that my old suspension was extremely worn and my rear leafs were sagging badly.

Handling is good, though it does feel a bit more tippy, as it should.

After my alignment and T-Case drop, I notice no unusual vibrations or problems, though there may be a VERY slight hint of death wobble between 45-55mph. It may be an unbalanced tire (I'll find out soon) but whatever it is, it goes away almost immediately after it starts and is not a violent jerking like shown in most DW videos on YouTube.

So, overall, I'm happy so far. After all of the negative feedback about RC, I was expecting to be very disappointed with everything once I got it all installed - so FAR, it's great.

We'll see how well it holds up down the road, and how it proves itself on the trails.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Nice! I like the review!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I give you props for the RC review, Please keep us updated after a few months or so !

In the meantime I'll stick to my RE lift
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM

I have the same set up on mine and it does AMAZING on the trail. As long as you pair the lift with some sticky 31's that rig will go anywhere your right foot says it will go... I know you said that you DD yours but prepare to be astounded!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't be disappointed the first few times you go wheeling, the suspension will be stiff until it breaks in. once it loosens up it will flex a lot better!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM

Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

I got that same set up I am adding pucks in the front later to get more lift I love the 3" its great