Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Remote Mirror Repair

Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Remote Mirror Repair

I have a nice 1991 Limited with cable remote mirrors. I cannot adjust or keep the mirrors adjusted with the cables. Is there an simple fix for this or do I have to buy complete new mirror assemblies?

I would rather fix them is possible and not have to spend 50.00 each on mirrors.

Keeping her stock for another few yrs and then would like to lift it a bit and make it a nice beach jeep for striper surf fishin in NC and for the boy to drive to HS. Jeep has been in the family since new.

Thanks.

Scott

Northern VA

1991 cherokee limited
4.0 ho
tweed interior
new headliner
new rear axles, timing chain n gears, front crank seal, rear crank seal, shocks, tires etc. Not a single drip and the crank bearing and cam look NEW!
201800 miles
Amsoil since new...Engine, tranny, diffs. xfer etc
Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Go to JY, And get a set. Here's my '91 Limited 70,498 miles. Attachment 33308

Attachment 33309

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 04-26-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Default Nice sled

what is JY? Guess your cherokee was not a daily driver!

s
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

JY = junk yard. There's no way that I know of to fix the adjuster. Had the same problem in my '86. I'd suggest you get some power mirrors to eliminate that problem. You don't have to hook them up, because they manually adjust & click into place. I swapped in mirrors from a '97+ newer XJ into my '92. It's a direct bolt-in, gets you more viewing surface and you can fold them back in tight places. I've never hooked up the electric in my mirrors (even tho I originally had power mirrors). Not necessary. There's a guy on Craigs List NJ selling a pair for $30 each.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Guzzilapd
what is JY? Guess your cherokee was not a daily driver!

s
Kinda! I inherited in Nov. of 2008, It was my mother's car. She owned about 14 years. But she didn't drive it too much. To the store, and such. Had 63,000 miles on it. When I got it. For yours being a limited, you should have all the bells and whistles. But you listed tweed seats. Here's a site you can use to get the build sheet for yours. http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U
Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Kinda! I inherited in Nov. of 2008, It was my mother's car. She owned about 14 years. But she didn't drive it too much. To the store, and such. Had 63,000 miles on it. When I got it. For yours being a limited, you should have all the bells and whistles. But you listed tweed seats. Here's a site you can use to get the build sheet for yours. http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U
Odd that a Limited has non-leather seats. Mine has the same seats as yours, but in tan. I'm drooling over your 70k miles. Things haven't even started to break yet!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner

I thought it was a limited but its a Laredo with all power except mirrors are manual remotes. I got this off my mother after it was parked in the barn for a couple years with the bastard hydraulic power pack brakes gone bad and lots of oil leaks. I fixed all the leaks, Jeep fixed the brakes for FREE because they settle out of court and warranty them for life. Fixed a bunch of other stuff and now use it as a standby car and airport car.

This jeep replace my mothers Limited when one of my younger brothers was T boned in it and that one was totaled.

Ill call around to some junk yards and see what I can come up with like you mentioned.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Odd that a Limited has non-leather seats. Mine has the same seats as yours, but in tan. I'm drooling over your 70k miles. Things haven't even started to break yet!
Will I did replace the headliner, and recovered the overhead console. Swapped out the headlights to HID's H4 (Hyper white 5000k) along with the factory fogs. And put in a new sound system. (probably have over $1000 into that) Now it sounds like a concert hall. Replaced the front U-joints, And new heavier rotors (Than the thin factory ones.) Also still thinking about putting in an 2.5" Old Man Emu suspension system. My rear leafs are starting to sag, Due to age. I want to keep it as close to the stock look as possible. I don't do a lot of heavy trail riding. But I do hunt, trout fish, Ice fish, and haul my two weimaranars around in it. They just love the woods.