Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Is this really true?

I wasn't for sure if this would be a cherokee chat or tech question considering it effects how our engines will function.

Is it true they are increasing the ethanol content of gas up from 10% to 15%? Because I know that our 4.0's cant run e-85 or anything because it burns too hot. Isn't this going to kill our XJ's?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Yup.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

e85 is 15 percent gas 85 percent grain gas....
Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
I wasn't for sure if this would be a cherokee chat or tech question considering it effects how our engines will function.

Is it true they are increasing the ethanol content of gas up from 10% to 15%? Because I know that our 4.0's cant run e-85 or anything because it burns too hot. Isn't this going to kill our XJ's?
Burn too hot? What? Ethanol has a much lower BTU rating than Gasoline.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

How does the mis info get started so quickly?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
How does the mis info get started so quickly?
Spreads faster than STD's at a highschool
Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

I think it depends where you are located. I'm from Iowa originally and we have 15% ethanol in almost all kinds of gas. Here in Wisconsin where I go to college, there are signs that say "May contain up to 10% ethanol" or something similar. Also, there is no ethanol in the premium gases here. I don't have any concrete facts, just observations.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 99redclassic
I think it depends where you are located. I'm from Iowa originally and we have 15% ethanol in almost all kinds of gas. Here in Wisconsin where I go to college, there are signs that say "May contain up to 10% ethanol" or something similar. Also, there is no ethanol in the premium gases here. I don't have any concrete facts, just observations.
Ethanol burning hotter now depends on location? Or what were you referring to.....
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Diesel
Ethanol burning hotter now depends on location? Or what were you referring to.....
I think he was just saying ethanol content varies depending on location.

Anything in the northern half of WI is no longer that reformulated crap.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Gotcha

I strongly dislike ethanol.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I think he is saying the % of ethanol in gas depends on location. We still have stations here that sell 100% gas of all grades.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Sorry if I seemed like I was spreading mis-info. I was informed once that something about ethanol burns up valves and such that weren't made to run it. If there is one thing I am certain of, it is that for some reason, whatever it may be, ethanol is bad news for our XJ's.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

we have 2 stations around where i live that have "ethanol free" gas....
Old 10-15-2010, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 ho

we onlt got 2 stations here that have ethenol in the gas and its only 10% ethenol,i thought the strength of it would clean ur valves
Old 10-15-2010, 07:14 AM

Year: 1994

This is all just my opinion....but the ethanol problem is vastly larger than we suspect. First, you have a MARKET for a product created artificially by brain-dead politicians. This is the type of person that says "you" followed by the word "should" all the time. They are the bane of the free world. Unfortunately, their constant whinning, blubbering, hand-wringing has produced a voter population that is paranoid we will:

1. Run out of gas, or
2. Poison dolphins and flying unicorns that poop jellybeans, or
3. Enrich evil, nasty, horrible oil companies, or
4. All of the above,

if we continue to use gasoline.

Unfortunately, the weepy crybaby contingent controls Congress.

Sooooo, they passed the Energy Independence Act of 2007, among other unbelieveably horrifying legislation, that led to the artificial creation of the "ethanol" market. Essentially, politicians DEMANDED that ethanol be added to gasoline...and since they can't FORCE this to happen without a lot of public backlash (this means ordinary people saying WT* are you doing?? Are you CRAZY? Butt out of my life!), they made it attractive by spending 71 cents per gallon of YOUR tax money to entice the investment community to invest in ethanol manufacturing. Nevermind that an E85 vehicle gets 25 to 29 percent less mileage with E85...you can sell E85 for the SAME PRICE as gas! Isn't that exciting?!?!? That makes the oil companies feel better, doesn't it? Oh, and by the way, did you know that Exxon makes a net profit of about 6 cents per gallon on gas? Did you know the average tax burden on gas nationwide is 70 cents? Hmmmm, this means federal, state and local governments collect TEN TIMES as much "profit" on a gallon of gas as Exxon. Wow. Exxon must be really, really evil. Let's get Oliver Stone to make a movie about them and then SUE them out of business for drilling holes in the ocean floor...nevermind we ORDERED then to drill there even though they told us it was not possible to do so safely but, heh, we're liberal politicians and we know EVERYTHING)

So what we get for our billions of tax dollars squandered by imbecilic liberals (and I don't care about politics...but giving liberals power is like giving the car keys and credit cards to two 14 year-old girls and pointing them to Saks Fifth Avenue) to create a substance nobody wants that uses more energy to create than it provides that disolves certain kinds of rubber compounds...like the little diaphrams in your Briggs lawn mower engine from 1989...and causes farmers all over the country to cut down trees to plant corn or, in the case of Nebraska, pump vast quantities of ground water out of an already depleted aquifer to grow corn to make ethanol that nobody wants except, you guessed it, liberal politicians and the ignorant, touchy-feelies that vote for them.

If you REALLY want to understand this incredible fiasco, read this:

http://www.agmrc.org/renewable_energ...t_mandates.cfm

It is a discussion of the ethanol "market" from the agricultural/farm business point of view...that is to say, these are the people that make money on ethanol and they ought to know why the "market" exists. Go look at it and you'll see how complex and insane the entire issue has become.

So whether it burns "hotter" or not, is not important. Whether it harms your engine systems is EVIDENT by the fact that E85 cars must be desginated "E85 capable". This means they will burn it...but it also means they can have it in their systems without destroying parts.

There is only one cure and it is lies in the voting booth.

Last edited by CAEMI; 10-15-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this really true?