Question about the "country package"

Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Question about the "country package"

Hello i'm new to the forum and looking at purchasing my first xj tomorrow.

I really like the older xj styles and have found 2 93's XJ in my area that are both in pretty good shape and there asking about the same for both and both have the 4.0

One looks to be a base cherokee xj with rollup windows, steel rims and has about 130k on it and has the least amount of rust of the 2.

The other is a green with the "country package" with tan colored flares , factory fog lights , wood trim, and aluminum rims and has about 170k on it bust has to parts about golf ball size rust and the very bottom part of the rear.

My question is what does the "Country package" include it look's like it is alittle taller even though both have the same size tires and it also has colored flares and fog light.

Is there more to the package the would make it worth buying even though it has more miles if it comes with a stronger rear end or something like that i think it would be better.

Just looking for some opinons i've never had a jeep before so not sure what to look for with them.

Last edited by jeepxjho; 08-14-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 AM

theres really nothing mechanically special about the country.....back when they were new, it was the top of the line model, meaning you paid for the different wheels, the plastic wood trim, and the clearcoated/painted fender flares....also the 4.0 came standard in the country as apposed to the SE models...

i like them, but i like the sports better........

do you know if the other one is a sport or an SE? the SE is the most basic model, but i kinda like their simplistic trim and wheels.......i have the sport........in 93 those were the only three trims available on the XJ......the laredo package died out in 92

well, atleast i think the SE was available in 93......i know they were from 94 on....

if they werent available, then just the 2 packages, the country and they sport....witch the sport would have the steel wheels

if the other one was an SE, the best way to tell for someone new to jeeps, is the SEs dont have an RPM gauge....instead they have a huge fuel tank gauge......while the sport and country does have the rpm gauge.......
Old 08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Member

SO the other one is a sport edition then since it has a tach.

After looking over both of them i really like the sport edition one more the gray fender flares seem to look better on the jeep then the gold painted ones did on the country edition.

Also the sport edition has the factory tow package so thats a big win for it and having about 40k less miles is very nice also.

It may have steel rims but finding somebody selling factory jeep aluminum rims around here really isnt that hard.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Well i ended up getting the the 93 jeep cherokee country over the sport.

I really liked the sports gray fender flares over the tan colored ones of the country put the sport had a few to many things wrong with it.

I though the sport had less rust then the country since i was able to see 2 visible golf ball size holes on the country and none on the outside of the sport.

But i was told by a member on here to check the floor pans something i didnt think about and found out the sports was almost gone there were HUGE holes about 6in's by 2 ft under the drivers and pass side that were gone and all that was seen visible was the underside of the carpet and it looks like the previous owner pulled up the carpet and put sealant around the outside of the hole and then put the carpet back down to seal it put didnt add new metal.

But the country floor pan was pretty solid with very light surface rust on it but still strong. The country had alittle bit more miles on it put over all i think it will be strong