XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Priorities

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Priorities

"To Each his own"
I see so many "build threads" where someone drags home the "new" XJ and start to "building it"
Custom bumper, roof rack, lockers, lift, $1600.00 in wheels and tires. and the all important LED bar.
Through all the pictures I'm thinking "Dude, think you should address the missing rocker panels, rusted out frame, and Fred Flintstone floor boards before bolting on your life savings worth of accessories? "

Just wondering, am I the only one that is thinking that ??
Or is it the - when it folds in half, find another "roller" and swap everything over ?

Slack
Old 04-26-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

You're not alone. Not just build threads, but threads from 16-yr-olds who just got an XJ as their first car and immediately are asking about sound systems, lifts, and big tires. Um, can you afford to do all that right? How about condition/maintenance?

My XJ may not be flashy, but it is well-kept.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Had mine for almost 2 yrs now and just now gettin it to where I can put it on the road. Found a used engine, Bought some used 235x75x15 tires, pulled the carpet and bed lined the floorboards. I did jump the gun on a lift but mainly because I found a great deal on a Metal Cloak kit and had to put it on. I reasoned that it was still just gettin it reliable, replacing all of the 20 yr. old suspension. My next move is a SYE that I have but not able to afford the driveshaft yet, so it is on hold at the present time. That's not to say I haven't had fun doin the work and have been able to take in the mountains already as I live in a area where you can drive a few miles on the blacktop to get to the trails without gettin caught. What I'm saying is...I know what you mean. Seen the purchase of a toy and a boatload of money spent on it before it is even driven. I'm a cash only and no financing my hobbies man.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by Slackdaddy
"To Each his own"
I see so many "build threads" where someone drags home the "new" XJ and start to "building it"
Custom bumper, roof rack, lockers, lift, $1600.00 in wheels and tires. and the all important LED bar.
Through all the pictures I'm thinking "Dude, think you should address the missing rocker panels, rusted out frame, and Fred Flintstone floor boards before bolting on your life savings worth of accessories? "

Just wondering, am I the only one that is thinking that ??
Or is it the - when it folds in half, find another "roller" and swap everything over ?
Slack
Apparently some don't care.
I've seen some ratty looking rust bucket XJs driving around here some all banged up, some without grills and some without bumpers. But most of those drivers have smiles on their faces....a few don't.

Could be some bought these Jeeps strictly for off roading use and don't care if they roll or flip them but then again i see them traveling on public roads.
Go figure.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

First thing I did to mine was get it up to a good running state. Got rid of all the leaks, changed all the fluids, basic tune up, got all the body panels back on and painted and then moved on to making the interior nice again. After that, I moved on to the 4wd conversion and then the lift. I would rather have a bone stock Jeep in good working condition then drive a lifted one that I am wondering when it is going to break down. I have dumped way too much in to it since I got it but its all paid for and I know its a trust worthy vehicle now. I had the money to do it all at the same time but if I didnt, I still would have started by making sure everything works how it should before starting to modify. I mean what good is modifying something that is just going to break down and sit? Then you wonder how you are going to come up with even more money to fix it.

So yes, I agree, fix the areas that need fixing before going out and blowing all your money on stuff that you dont really need.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by mschi772
You're not alone. Not just build threads, but threads from 16-yr-olds who just got an XJ as their first car and immediately are asking about sound systems, lifts, and big tires. Um, can you afford to do all that right? How about condition/maintenance?

My XJ may not be flashy, but it is well-kept.
Funny you say that, we had a user post a message in Cherokee chat about a week ago asking for some teachings on Jeeping. I connected with him on the KiK message app.

Turns out he is a sophomore in college and wants to buy a Jeep XJ/TJ/YJ with a loan. I'm thinking DUDE, your in college man. If you have to take a loan out to buy the damn thing, where the hell are going to get the money to modify it? Not to mention he does not possess the most basic mechanical skills to do it himself.

Also, taking on unnecessary debt in college is dumb anyway. I don't think these college kids realize how much of a hole they are in already. Until that first loan payment bill comes. Then it's like "ohhh shiittt, I have to pay this?".

I didn't get into Jeeps until I was 25 and had a good job and stable income (hobby money). Jeeping is a multifaceted hobby that requires tools, time, knowledge. It is A LOT more involved then many other hobbies. I guess this also applies to any car based hobby.

I feel some people get so excited at the prospect of driving a Jeep and being included in the hobby they ram **** together anyway they can. Some people get one and then don't have the money to maintain it..........Or worse
they get rough country products.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
they get rough country products.
Oh so like me? LOL.

But no check my build thread. I maintained that thing spotless.

Traded up to a JK last year though. I haven't modified it. I just maintain it now.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

It's because of this

Old 04-29-2017, 03:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Every car culture has a portion of it that are stupid. Plan and simple. By car culture I mean Ricers, muscle cars, 4WDs, etc. Ricers - some are quality vehicles that PERFORM and perform well, others real pretty and have a stock drivetrain. Muscle cars - same deal. See a Camaro with loud exhaust, every extra panel unbolted, no back seat, stiff clutch, 4.10 gears, fat tires that rub on every bump, and stock 305 v8 pushing maybe 200 horses. And you outlined the typical 4WD idiot. They are everywhere. LOOK AT ME! That's all they're saying. Don't know why they need the MODs, but they NEED them.

It's all about your priorities and motives for modifying the vehicle, no matter platform type. Are you building it to run it, or to show it off? If only to show it off, who cares how it performs as long as it looks good.

This just happened to me couple weeks ago: Talking to a guy with a NICE looking new Toyota pickup. Light bar, big wheels and tires, jacked up, side steps and so on. I asked him where he goes wheeling, I'm looking for some spots to wheel. He says, "Ohh, it's only a 2WD. But it sure looks good right?"
Old 04-29-2017, 08:46 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Like the guy who calls Jeeps crap because after doing all the "build" stuff, his transfer case grenades on the freeway because he never checked the fluid level.

I often thought of making a checklist for new owners. Kinda like the used car checklist we used at the Jeep dealership. A kind of guide for the less mechanical and maintenance savvy.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by cruiser54

I often thought of making a checklist for new owners. Kinda like the used car checklist we used at the Jeep dealership. A kind of guide for the less mechanical and maintenance savvy.
I believe that's a great idea.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
I believe that's a great idea.
maybe we should start an thread and crowd source a list from our members.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:00 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
maybe we should start an thread and crowd source a list from our members.
You're in charge of it.

But, we have to end up with a formal, common sense, understandable by an eight grader result. I'm willing to help and edit.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
You're in charge of it.

But, we have to end up with a formal, common sense, understandable by an eight grader result. I'm willing to help and edit.
k I'll sit down tonight and starts thread, probably in OEM. That would make the most sense I guess or Cherokee Chat.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Ta da.
http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/downloads...-checklist.pdf