XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Plow setup for an xj??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow setup for an xj??

I have a lifted 99 cherokee sport and was wondering if anyone knew of where to get a relatively cheap plow? Or how to make one..? Please let me know.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

The cheapest ones, that I've seen, that are worth anything are around $1500. They were about 7 ft wide, used a winch type lift and fit into a standard receiver on the front of your Jeep. I don't remember where I found them.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Snowbear makes a plow for the xj that is relatively inexpensive. I've got one, they are pretty good actually and are like alnielsen described.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

While I don't have any experience with a plow on an XJ, I've heard it's a good way to twist up the front of your unibody. YMMV of course
Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by sthon
While I don't have any experience with a plow on an XJ, I've heard it's a good way to twist up the front of your unibody. YMMV of course
This can be true. The unibody won't stand up to plowing of deep deep snow or repeatedly slamming the blade into objects (lots of new plowers do this). But for a personal driveway or family and friends type plowing the XJ is fine as long as you don't hit curbs.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

I don't think you'll find a 'cheap' plow for the XJ if you want your Jeep to last. Personally I'd do frame rail reinforcement first to take the beating.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:02 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

You got an xj, why do you even need to plough?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 IL6

The Home Plow by Meyers .https://www.facebook.com/homeplow?ref=stream
Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

If the snow is deep enough to need to be plowed you have no business doing it with your XJ unless you really don't like your unibody. It's going to put far too much stress on your drivetrain, cooling, ect.

The XJ just wasn't built for it and I wouldn't do it on anything under a 1 ton pickup. We just don't have the weight or power to push as much snow as a plow needs. With the upgrades you'd need you'd be better off just buy an old full size pickup to use for it.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by motorcharge
If the snow is deep enough to need to be plowed you have no business doing it with your XJ unless you really don't like your unibody. It's going to put far too much stress on your drivetrain, cooling, ect.
Nonsense. Most sedans can't make it over 6" of snow very well. The XJ has a tow rating of 5000 lbs so we know the unibody isn't made of paper. If you reinforce the front there's no reason it can't be done as long as you don't drive it like a 5-ton. There are XJ plows all over the place doing just fine for personal use and small businesses that just do driveways.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

They make plows for xjs and mjs. Have been for years. I've had western and meyer, prefer the meyer. We plowed over 2' deep snow with ours with no issue. Alot of pushing to the side so we could make headway, but took it like a champ. Over 3/4 mile driveway plus cow yard.

The snow bear will do the job, but they are garbage if you do anything over a few inches. Winch lift plows are junk designed for 4 wheelers.

The meyer home plow also works, but is over priced, and junk if you know anything about plowing. Auto angling is crap....you have no control on which direction you deflect the snow to. Also, alot more stress in the front of your vehicle, as it's mounted into a single 3" reciever.

You want an electric controlled pump. Either a western electric on a uni mount, or preferably a meyer e47 on an ez classic lift frame. You should not run a blade bigger than 6'6" on an xj. You do not need to reinforce anything, you just need a mount that has side plates which spread the load.

You dont want a cable controlled pump, because there is no reasonable spot to put the controller, and electrical is easier to repair than frozen cables.

Snoway are also good plows, and can be had with down pressure, unlike meyer or western.
At minimum you want to put air shocks or air bags in the front to take the weight of the blade.

I build plow pumps for a living, and have seen many commercial contractors running xjs with 6.5' blades for those hard to access places. If plowing was too much for them to handle, this would not be the case....and if a chevy luv can do it, an xj well do it better. The key is to have a good non rusted out uni frame.
I'll post pics of my setups tomorrow.

Last edited by JeepCoMJ; 01-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:00 PM

JeepCoMJ, I just picked up an XJ for $800 with 105 on the clock, I then got a 6.5 meyer from a guy upstate for $200 Its just missing the harness and the passenger side plate for the classic mount. I figure i could copy one with my plasma cutter.
got a question for you; when the classic mounts to the frame(unibody), do the end plates go on the outside or inside like in the engine bay? I have not had time to try and mount this thing cause the Truck is in the body shop getting a little push fixed. I want to cut the plate but where it mounts will determine how thick a plate I can use. if you had a pic of your set up that would be great .
Not much info on this set up...Thanks in advance for any replys...Matt
Old 10-22-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

Originally Posted by AIDANMELAD
JeepCoMJ, I just picked up an XJ for $800 with 105 on the clock, I then got a 6.5 meyer from a guy upstate for $200 Its just missing the harness and the passenger side plate for the classic mount. I figure i could copy one with my plasma cutter.
got a question for you; when the classic mounts to the frame(unibody), do the end plates go on the outside or inside like in the engine bay? I have not had time to try and mount this thing cause the Truck is in the body shop getting a little push fixed. I want to cut the plate but where it mounts will determine how thick a plate I can use. if you had a pic of your set up that would be great .
not to venture off subject but what kind of plasma cutter do you have?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by AIDANMELAD

You can bet on one thing for $200 you will have problems. My business plowed snow on 57 large accounts for quite a few years and have bought and sold a few for that price all you bought was a few parts. All I used were Western plows and still have the newest one left after I sold my personal Super Duty Power Stroke Crew Cab and will tell you one thing IMHO a 3/4 truck was the min. that I used for business but in the late 60 did use a CJ to plow driveways of homes. I would not mount a plow on my XJ but each to his own.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

I want a plow, but only for my own driveway, maybe the neighbors if they need help, not for commercial duty

Quick Reply: Plow setup for an xj??