XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Painting stock 94 Cherokee wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)
Default Painting stock 94 Cherokee wheels?

I really dislike my 94 Cherokee Country's wheels. Would black or white look totally cheap and ridiculous if I painted them as such?? All the old paint has pretty much worn off.
Attached Thumbnails Painting stock 94 Cherokee wheels?-img00168-20110131-1531.jpg  
Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 PM

Any opinions at all? (And "Buy new wheels" is a great idea, but I would if I could afford it. Haha.)
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight Six

Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry
Any opinions at all? (And "Buy new wheels" is a great idea, but I would if I could afford it. Haha.)
I have had two Jeeps with those, and I pained them both semi-flat black, I think you should do the same it will look much better.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Bedline those suckers!

But in all seriousness, satin black would probably look pretty good, I'd steer clear of white.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM

I'll do black then. Just gonna clean them up, rough them up a bit, prime them in black, then do a semi-flat black on them like suggested. Thanks! I wonder now if I could do them all while on the jeep? Just tape off/newspaper cover the tires and paint them as they sit. ALSO! My cherokee is a country, with the white body and gold-ish trim. black still look decent with all that considered??

Last edited by CherokeeCountry; 07-20-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:04 AM

Engine: Straight Six

I'll do black then. Just gonna clean them up, rough them up a bit, prime them in black, then do a semi-flat black on them like suggested. Thanks! I wonder now if I could do them all while on the jeep? Just tape off/newspaper cover the tires and paint them as they sit. ALSO! My cherokee is a country, with the white body and gold-ish trim. black still look decent with all that considered??
OH yeah...White with Black = Personal favorite lol
Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Personally I would paint the wheels flat black or satin black which ever but also get rid of all the gold trim. Paint any thing gold the same color black you do your wheels or just paint black from the bottom of the rocker up to where the trim is.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Yeah, the Chrysler "Champagne" gold color trim package that I've got wouldn't look good if my wheels were black. I might do all the trim/gold stuff black, and go for the stormtrooper look. But, I'd have to do front and rear bumpers, rockers, etc. When painting the bumpers, should I just sand it down and scuff it up and paint over, or would I have to take it to bare metal before priming?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Better shot of what I'd have to do.
Attached Thumbnails Painting stock 94 Cherokee wheels?-img00684-20110630-1230.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yeah, the Chrysler "Champagne" gold color trim package that I've got wouldn't look good if my wheels were black. I might do all the trim/gold stuff black, and go for the stormtrooper look. But, I'd have to do front and rear bumpers, rockers, etc. When painting the bumpers, should I just sand it down and scuff it up and paint over, or would I have to take it to bare metal before priming?

I would just sand it down/scuff it up and spray over it. You shouldn't really have to go down to bear metal. You can spray it with the bedliner to be even more durable.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by aquickmopar
I would just sand it down/scuff it up and spray over it. You shouldn't really have to go down to bear metal. You can spray it with the bedliner to be even more durable.
X2, bedline (as far as rattle can goes, go with duplicolor) your trim/bumpers/rockers, satin black wheels, should look clean together.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 PM

Also it would probably look good if you did your grill/bezzles satin black as well to compliment your stormtrooper look you're going for. also a note on the bedliner, scuff > prime > paint works on metal/plastic surfaces, aim for at least 3 coats I'd say, i did 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of bedliner on my bumper and its tough as hell with a clean, even finish. I love the way it came out.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM

I think I'll do that bedliner idea. Michigan Jeep, that'll help keep it from rusting and dying even further. So just sand/scuff up the stuff a bit, two coats of duplicolor rust stopper/primer in black, and then duplicolor bedliner three coats? I think that sounds pretty good. One question about it though, I did some rattle can touch up on my rockers, and I taped everything off then painted, then let it sit for like 4 hours after I got all the coats in, but then I had to cut along the tape/paint for it to not peel the paint off. Am I going to have to re tape everything off after every coat, so that I can peel the stuff off after every coat and let it dry so no sticking and peeling then occurs?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Year: 1994

funny becasue i was thinking about doing the same thing with my wheels, and when i saw who posted this i thought someone hacked my account! let's take the plunge together! im blacking out the trim, debating what color to pain the body, and bedline, or white out the wheels!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

I think I'll do that bedliner idea. Michigan Jeep, that'll help keep it from rusting and dying even further. So just sand/scuff up the stuff a bit, two coats of duplicolor rust stopper/primer in black, and then duplicolor bedliner three coats? I think that sounds pretty good. One question about it though, I did some rattle can touch up on my rockers, and I taped everything off then painted, then let it sit for like 4 hours after I got all the coats in, but then I had to cut along the tape/paint for it to not peel the paint off. Am I going to have to re tape everything off after every coat, so that I can peel the stuff off after every coat and let it dry so no sticking and peeling then occurs?
What I did is as soon as I put my final coat on I took the tape off turned out good

Quick Reply: Painting stock 94 Cherokee wheels?