Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default New XJ Transmission not aw4?

Hey everyone
I just picked up another XJ, which will be my 3rd XJ, and newest.
It is a 1998 Cherokee sport, chrysler 8.25 and hpd30, 4.0, auto, with 160k, and its black. The paint is fairly good condition, and its whole life was in florida power everything, and has a power sunroof! It has a new radiator, water pump, thermostat and thermostat housing. The bad part is, the head gasket it still bad, but my buddys going to do it for me in his shop for 100 bucks labor, plus parts, but I am good friends with him. Other than the blown headgasket there really isnt much else wrong with it other than small odds and ends that a weekend would take care of. The one thing that really is making me nervous is that there is a very odd gas between the transmission and the motor, almost like the transmission doesnt belong in the jeep, or the mounting bracket isnt made for it. you can see the whole bottom half of what looks like a gear or sprocket inside the transmission, because the motor does not cover it. My question is, is there any way someone rigged up the wrong bracket to mount the tranny to the motor (is there even a bracket? im sorry, I dont know much about that area of the jeep) (yet). Or is it more possible someone put a wrong tranny in? I will have pictures of the jeep and tranny tomorrow. Either way, I picked the whole rig up for 500 bucks. It runs and drives, but rough with the bad gasket. BTW there is not a spec of rust on it. It looks to me that there is still some sort of factory undercoating. I have a ZJ, with the 5.2, but i have got to say, I hate that motor. I have had 2 straight 6's so far and I have fallen in love with these motors!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is an automatic trans, then it is an AW4. What you are seeing is the flexplate because the previous owner probably removed the inspection cover and did not replace it. It's not a big issue, you can pick one up at a local junkyard and replace it.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Thank you so much for the information, it was very helpful!