Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Question New XJ owner

Hey all,
I'm getting a '95 XJ 4x4 5spd, stock, from Father-in-law (as soon as Tax refund gets in the bank). Look and runs real good. Has minor rip in headliner, but thanks to CF I now know how to fix it.

So now I've spent the last few days looking over ALOT here, gonna build a EMT rack, want to build a bumper, get a 3" lift and so much more! (again thanks to CF)

So I have a couple questions:

1) What type oil do you use? I saw where Synthetic isn't recomended, but anyone think one is better than another and what wieght? I plan on using it as a DD with mud runs (I hope) come summer.

2) Does anyone use/recommend Lucas products? As in Lucas Oil additive, Differnt. add. and soforth?

I can hardly wait! I've always liked (but now thinking I'm lov'n it) Cherokee's and now I finaly get 1! As soon as I can, I'll get pics and post, and thanks for your input on my post.

P.S. I don't recall exact millage, thinking it is 100+, but not 100%

Last edited by XJ740; 02-14-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Oil is always a hot topic. For my money, if your jeep doesn't burn oil/leak then I'd go with a really good synthetic. There's no such thing as an engine which isn't compatible with synthetic, but there is a case for not disturbing old deposits. Personally I'd rather flush all that stuff out and fix any leaks which appear. Others may not agree

Oil grade will depend on what the weather is like in your location. Here in the UK we can get away with 10/40 all year round because our weather only has one setting

Oil additives are generally snake oil.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack
Smile

you do not indicate how many miles are on the jeep. I live in nw ohio and run NAPA 30 wt year around. Decent oil at the right price for me. I just recommend you stay away from FRAM filters.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Stay away from FRAM? Why's that? Not that I'm defending them, just curious as to why. I used fram air and oil filters before, family car and van. And any thoughts on Lucas (or other simaliar) products?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

i actually used a bottle of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer on my last oil change last weekend. so far so good. the sales person at kragen suggested i used since i had high mileage. so i figured what the heck. as for my oil, i use 20w-50 and fram filters. they worked fine for me.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

This lucas? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

me, my dad, and bro have ran mobil 1 in our xj wj and tj all with high miles with fram filters and haven't had a problem. stay away from any penzoil product
Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Just put 6 quarts of 10w-30 Quaker State Torque Power full syn into my XJ, with fram filter. Could honestly feel the difference in the **** n' git of the truck. Oil pressure hovered at around 36 for the first 25 miles or so, then went back to normal.

First time go with Quaker State. Billionth time with Fram. Both passed by me with an A+.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by cpttuna
you do not indicate how many miles are on the jeep. I live in nw ohio and run NAPA 30 wt year around. Decent oil at the right price for me. I just recommend you stay away from FRAM filters.
Ahhh the infamous oil debate, i'm new to this particular forum but defintely not new to this age old thread.

I agree, FRAM filters are the WORST filter you can buy, you may as well just bypass the oil filter all together, would yield the same results.

And as far as dumping full synthetic into a motor with 150k on it thats never seen synthetic its entire life, you are just asking for every gasket to start leaking. Just my opinion. The motor has obviously been fine on conventional oil its entire life and made it this far, no need to switch it now. I'm a huge fan of full syn oils, but i only do it when i buy something brand new, and swith to full synthetic right after break in. I would never put a motor on full syn 10 years and 150k miles later.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 PM

Ok, I'm not wanting to use synthetic, I've seen here and other Jeep forums say the same as rspain04 stated.
I am however asking, that a '95 XJ 4x4 with over 100kmiles, that has seen very little to no true Off-road use, and to which I want to do a 3-4" lift with 31"tire (all of which will come later) and take said XJ for Mud Runs (again, XJ never done before), and use it as my DD. What type oil and at what weight would one recomend as well as filters and/or use of additive(s) (Lucas, Seafoam, or other).
I don't mean to start a major debate or as it seems a "My Oil is better than yours" war. Just wanting to get the most out of my (New to me) XJ, and the best 'Bang for my Buck"

I know that no-one person has the correct answer, but a general cencus on a Oil and Filter would take it, be it Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, or whatever, same for the filters and Additive. I am currious as to what some of you all mean to FRAM filters as I have used then in our Car and Mini-vans with no trouble, but if in a 4x4 with more put on the engine, they suck, than Thank you for saving me a Head and Heart ache in the future!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 PM

For the oil i would say 10-40w? I'm new to xJ's and i'm looking at several right now, getting ready to buy one, so i'm not familiar with weights.

If it only has 100k on it, and it doesnt burn oil, i would say use no additives. I'm not a fan of additives, as i've torn down engines before and the oil pump is FULL of sticky nasty additives. Good oils dont need additives.

Now just to throw my personal opinion in, i like Castrol GTX high mileage for applications like this. But again, its all preference, although i do agree to stay away from Penzoil products.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rspain04
Ahhh the infamous oil debate, i'm new to this particular forum but defintely not new to this age old thread.

I agree, FRAM filters are the WORST filter you can buy, you may as well just bypass the oil filter all together, would yield the same results.

And as far as dumping full synthetic into a motor with 150k on it thats never seen synthetic its entire life, you are just asking for every gasket to start leaking. Just my opinion. The motor has obviously been fine on conventional oil its entire life and made it this far, no need to switch it now. I'm a huge fan of full syn oils, but i only do it when i buy something brand new, and swith to full synthetic right after break in. I would never put a motor on full syn 10 years and 150k miles later.
I doubt you'd get anything that dramatic, but the general idea is sound. I have a 20 year old BMW that was designed for mineral oil. It now runs on semi-synth and doesn't leak or burn a drop. Is it worth putting fully synth in it? No, not really. Modern oil comfortably exceeds the specs available when our engines were designed so unless you're really determined to extend the drain period then you're not gaining much at all.

Additives are snake oil, pure and simple. Avoid.

Despite what I said in my first post, my advice would be to stick with a good quality multigrade semi-synthetic in an appropriate weight range for your area/climate. Then just see what your engine is doing. If it leaks, fix the leaks, if it burns oil then the news isn't so good. If it does neither then you know you've got "a good 'un" and you might want to spoil it with better oil later on - there's no point doing it yet.

Last edited by Morat; 02-17-2010 at 04:32 AM.