XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

New off road communication

Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check
Default New off road communication

I'm not sure how many of us get JPFreek's email news letter but the one I got today had a cool little toy in it for making sure you can get help when in danger...even in places celll phones can just dream of reaching.

Thought I'd post the link and see what people think.

http://online.jpfreek.com/2011/01/02...ite-messenger/

$100 per year for knowing that you can get help in almost any situation wouldn't be a bad idea for some that wheel "in the middle of nowhere."
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

i need to get one of these.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Its got some really slick features.

You can preprogram emails/email addresses in it so you can send messages as you need.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee

Sounds pretty cool, thanks for posting.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

They work pretty well. A lot of guys I ride with use them on longer motorcycle trips.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Spot is a PLB or personal locating becon. Essentially it is the same as the newer ELT's in aircraft, however it has a few extra goodies.

I do SAR and have been doing it for years and my specialty is ELT's and the evermore popluar PLB's. from a SAR perspective im not exactly sure how things work with this whole ordeal...besides the basic info anyone else has. I dont know what Sattilite system it uses or who it goes through etc. We tried contacting them to see what the deal was, but they were very very protective about it... So it is unknown as to who would get called.

Spot is very nice to have because of the whole track me system deal. Just about any other PLB, while it may not have the track me feature will get the same job done for a one time job. My buddy who rolled his truck a month ago, was saved because he used a PLB (not sure what brand).

HOWEVER!!!!!! i would like to put my disclaimer in this. these things can be quite inaccurate. remember GPS is technology and it will fail and the environment will mess with the coordinates. Cloud cover and terrain will make the coordinates inaccurate. My buddy's PLB was off by 2 miles...even though it was off by that much, it got things moving so that while the sheriff and the SAR teams formed other people attempted to make contact by phone...NEVER RELY ON THIS UNIT BY ITSELF!!!!! Always try to make contact with someone somehow wether be CB or cell phone ect

Just thought i'd throw my two cents in..
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
Spot is a PLB or personal locating becon. Essentially it is the same as the newer ELT's in aircraft, however it has a few extra goodies.

I do SAR and have been doing it for years and my specialty is ELT's and the evermore popluar PLB's. from a SAR perspective im not exactly sure how things work with this whole ordeal...besides the basic info anyone else has. I dont know what Sattilite system it uses or who it goes through etc. We tried contacting them to see what the deal was, but they were very very protective about it... So it is unknown as to who would get called.

Spot is very nice to have because of the whole track me system deal. Just about any other PLB, while it may not have the track me feature will get the same job done for a one time job. My buddy who rolled his truck a month ago, was saved because he used a PLB (not sure what brand).

HOWEVER!!!!!! i would like to put my disclaimer in this. these things can be quite inaccurate. remember GPS is technology and it will fail and the environment will mess with the coordinates. Cloud cover and terrain will make the coordinates inaccurate. My buddy's PLB was off by 2 miles...even though it was off by that much, it got things moving so that while the sheriff and the SAR teams formed other people attempted to make contact by phone...NEVER RELY ON THIS UNIT BY ITSELF!!!!! Always try to make contact with someone somehow wether be CB or cell phone ect

Just thought i'd throw my two cents in..
What I think is really slick is the pre-programmed emails.

"made it to X point in the trail"

"made it out alive"

etc.

You can let ppl know pre-determined points so even if the GPS isn't accurate, you can still have close check points to narrow down your location.

Either way, its a good thing to know about and possibly have.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

oh i agree completely. It is pretty nice