need feedback on potential XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default need feedback on potential XJ

I'm brand new to all of this. New to the forum, new to 4x4 vehicles, and definitely new to Cherokee XJs. I moved to Colorado last winter and my E46 (rwd 2-door), while a great vehicle in its own right, is just not getting it down in the winter anymore. Not to mention all the places in the mountains I can't drive it and can't haul stuff to. So I've started looking into Cherokee XJs on the basis that they're plentiful, easy to work on, the 4.0 I6 is a horse, the car overall is reliable, they're 4-doors, and can be quite capable off-road. I've looked at a few XJs this weekend and none of them have really impressed me, and one was in rougher shape than I was expecting. However, I checked this one out this morning and walked away feeling good about it:
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto...794030866.html

It's got quite a few miles (nothing has been rebuilt as far as I know), but everything worked great! The engine started right up after sitting for "a week or two", the transmission shifted crisp, both 4-hi and 4-low worked as they should, suspension felt tight, heat & a/c worked, the body was in decent shape (save for a rust spot on a door and small dents/scratches throughout), brakes were solid, and the tires had good tread left. The only bad I could really find was the rear hatch rattles a bit on the highway, it'll probably need a battery, the fog lights don't work, and there's a small oil leak (owner believes it's the oil pan gasket). It responded very quick when I got on the gas on the highway, kind of surprised me actually.

I plan to get it in front of a good mechanic before I would buy it. But it has ~240k miles, almost a quarter million - sounds crazy when you say it that way. That's a lot of miles, even for a vehicle that's known for it's reliability. The guy selling says he just doesn't drive it much and seems like he would just like it to be out of his driveway.
So my question - what would be a reasonable offer for a well-running 1996 XJ with 240k miles with a mild lift? I don't want another vehicle that becomes a money pit, my BMW is doing that just fine on it's own lately...

Thanks in advance for any help!