XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Is my XJ saying no?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Diesel
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.1L Renault "J8S"
Default Is my XJ saying no?

So here I am... stoked to go lift my diesel XJ at a friend's garage.

I have been waiting months for my RC lift to arrive from the US and this morning I head to out to finally install it!

But then bam! The alternator seizes up on me at a red light... I try to free it up by banging on the fan with a rod but after several attempts (and turning it slowly for 30 mins) the belt snapped off.

I cursed and now I'm depressed, I drove back on the battery and now my XJ is sitting in my garage with a semi-seized up alt, missing a belt, leaking oil between the engine bloc and tranny, a bent frame from a previous collision, a broken clutch fan...

I'm fed up and tired that my XJ is in this state and I'm thinking about selling it for parts, selling the lift kit and just sending all this crap to hell...

But I have such mixed feelings, I love driving it when it has no problems... It's my first car and look at him! He's just asking for fun!

This is such a bad day. :-(

Last edited by Cyriac; 09-26-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Think on it for awhile, we all go through this. My xj is lifted and everything is breaking, but hey it should go out in style.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

if your gunna see it...how much for the bull bar?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

If you sell it youll go through serious depression, and become a borderline alcoholic..I did.. But then I bought another a day later and im a new man!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L I6

On another note, how do you like the Silverstone tires? When my Boggers wear out I'm going to be looking for a cheaper alternative tire.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by my89xj
Think on it for awhile, we all go through this. My xj is lifted and everything is breaking, but hey it should go out in style.
A couple YouTube videos make me want to have a lifted XJ for sure... But wouldn't I be better off with a less damaged XJ? I'd only be able to afford another XJ by making money off this one... but it's 180k miles old (290,000 km) and the frame is bent.

I rang up a Jeep parts shop and they (obviously) aren't interested seeing it's age and mileage and told me to sell it for parts on ebay or dump it in a Junkyard...

Originally Posted by jeepboy4life
if your gunna see it...how much for the bull bar?
Well, I love the bull bar, I'd keep it for the next XJ! Even if I wanted to sell it, would you be willing to pay for the trans-Atlantic shipping fees??? haha

Originally Posted by Xj88
If you sell it youll go through serious depression, and become a borderline alcoholic..I did.. But then I bought another a day later and im a new man!
You became depressive and a borderline alcoholic overnight? I can understand... Happy that you went through that quickly, though I'm sure that like any good Jeeper, you're still a borderline alcoholic!!! ;-)

--

I can't stand losing this XJ, it's my first car and has huge sentimental value to me. I'm even wondering if another XJ would be as good as this one (handling, sounds, etc) !! But fixing it is just going to be too expensive! The price of a fan clutch and an alternator alone is half that of a stock XJ here...

Could it be the end of my XJ's adventures? :-(

Originally Posted by Anthony'90XJ
On another note, how do you like the Silverstone tires? When my Boggers wear out I'm going to be looking for a cheaper alternative tire.
They're not Silverstones! They're actually cheap Spanish Fedima tires, the "Sirocco" model... ;-) I'll be keeping those for the next XJ, they're really good! I haven't had a chance to test them in very deep mud yet though.

Last edited by Cyriac; 09-25-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: reply to Anthony'90XJ
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cyriac
Well, I love the bull bar, I'd keep it for the next XJ! Even if I wanted to sell it, would you be willing to pay for the trans-Atlantic shipping fees??? haha
Yes, i have been searching for one for a year now and have not found one, i have the ability to design one but idk how they mount. They dont make or sell them over here for XJ's
Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Never mind on that trans-Atlantic shipping, i did not realize that it would cost me some where are 700 dollars
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

Mmmmmm diesel XJ
I would fix it, its not that hard to do by yourself and you will have a better bond with it.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992

How bent is the unibody? If it's bad don't even bother lifting it. Take what you can off it and find a new body.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

One thing you have to consider in your situation (I was there in February when I got hit) is that IF you sell it off and buy another there's a strong possibility that IT will have its own problems. Could be better could be worse.

I want a diesel xj
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by jeepboy4life
Yes, i have been searching for one for a year now and have not found one, i have the ability to design one but idk how they mount. They dont make or sell them over here for XJ's
They are mounted onto the bottom bumper bolts with a bent sheet metal bracket. The top is mounted in between the bumper and grille but I haven't looked into how exactly it is mounted inside...

Originally Posted by Mace350
Mmmmmm diesel XJ
I would fix it, its not that hard to do by yourself and you will have a better bond with it.
Perhaps, replacing an alt or fan clutch is surely accessible, but fixing a tranny leak? I think I'd do it if I had the money, tools, time and knowledge, but then again there's the frame...

Originally Posted by sthon
How bent is the unibody? If it's bad don't even bother lifting it. Take what you can off it and find a new body.
It's bad, the rear end got bent when I hit a tree backwards and the hitch bent the left frame rail down... It can't be fixed. This of course lowered the left shackle support bracket and the stock leaf spring compensated for that. Therefore I'm afraid that with the new leafs the XJ will be tilted to the side...

Originally Posted by DieselD
One thing you have to consider in your situation (I was there in February when I got hit) is that IF you sell it off and buy another there's a strong possibility that IT will have its own problems. Could be better could be worse.

I want a diesel xj
It's true. I think that there are XJs out there in better shape though...

Diesel XJs are much more popular here, actually it's the 4.0s that are rare. 5-speed 4.0s are even rarer. I have only found 2 on a website in France in 1 year's of searching...

I should start a diesel XJ export business!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Year: 1998

Drop in a new alternator and put that lift on. You will be happy afterward. Its easy to stop caring when **** keeps breaking. But you will regret it afterwards.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L I6

Amen
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Year: 1993

It's really not that hard to fix a tranny leak or a rear main leak with basic tools but if the frame is too bad then find a used body with a blown motor and put in yours...gas or diesel doesn't matter because you have everything you need. If your not up for it then part it out and wait till another comes along. I assumed you were driving it bent and it was not bad? Personally I would pull the tranny and put a new front trans seal, and put a new rear main seal in as well. Then again I would fab a custom shackle to level the rear, as long as its straight. Pull the alt apart and buy new bushings.

Search this Thread