Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Mopar lifetime warranty opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Red face Mopar lifetime warranty opinions

I was just quoted a price of $4,500 ($100 deductible) for the lifetime warranty for my 2015 Jeep Cherokee (30K miles already on it).

Does this seem reasonable?

Is Mopar negotiable?

This is my first time pricing warranties since I do approx. 20K miles a year and plan on keeping this car until it's no longer drivable.

(I should probably add that i'm located in NY since I believe this affects the price)

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

No.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:37 PM

elaborate?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

What does "lifetime" mean?

Jansport famously has a lifetime warranty on their backpacks--but the backpack has a lifetime of only 2 years.

Jeep already has a 60k warranty on that cherokee. What does the $4500 get you? Because it gets me a whole spare car...or two...
Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

elaborate?

You asked so here goes.
The lowdown in your face answer #1 is only people that can't afford them, buy extended warranties.
I'll assume the cost of the extended warranty can be conveniently added to your finance contract, correct? Wouldn't you rather have $4500.00 set aside for repairs if it should ever be needed?
Lowdown answer #2.
Can you afford say a $500 repair in your first six months of owning this vehicle?
If not, you can't afford this vehicle.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:04 PM

The lifetime warranty is a lifetime extension of the basic warranty (no mileage cap). So the majority of issues are covered.

Im not sure why you're questioning whether I can afford the car or not... that has nothing to do with my original question. I clearly can afford my car since I already own it lol and no I am not financed through the dealer.

I just want to know if I received a good quote for the Mopar Lifetime Warranty and if these happen to be negotiable? Again, I have never shopped for an extended warranty before so I just want to make sure Mopar is a quality warranty. I plan on keeping this car till it bites the dust and the fact that I put on 20K miles a year I believe a warranty will beneficial to me. I just want to make sure that I get the best deal.

thanks again!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:11 PM

Sorry! Didn't realize those responses were from two separate people.

Also, the Jeep Cherokee only comes with he standard basic warranty, 3 years or 36K miles whichever you hit first. I will be hitting the mileage with the car under 2 years old. Which is why I'm researching the warranties.

thanks again! All opinions are helpful!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by ginar413
I clearly can afford my car since I already own it lol and no I am not financed through the dealer.
No problem, perfect!
If you read the warranty you'll notice wear items are specifically excluded so you'll have $4500.00 in your pocket to cover all that.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

I wouldn't even mess with paying that much for a lifetime warranty...and If stated above is true that wear items are excluded that's a terrible deal.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

I bought an extended warranty on my Nissan pick up years ago. Cost me $2000, rolled into the financing of the truck. In the 10 years I owned the truck, I used the warranty once. The dealership quoted $600 on the repair w/o warranty. Could've saved $1400 if I had skipped the warranty and just paid for repairs as they came.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Extended warranty? Here's my take on that.

Bought my 92 XJ in 2001 with 79k miles, sans warranty and ran/wheeled it until 2016 with zero major issues. None. Bought a used '02 Durango + ext 5 year warranty ($550) some years ago. A few weeks (less than 2 months) after having the D, the tranny went. Not long after that I broke a front axle. Got both issues fixed with no out of pocket cost. Guardian Warranty barely questioned the claim. I couldn't have afforded either repair out of pocket because I had (have) a bad Jeep habit. And the repairs cost way more than what I spent for that warranty. If the Durango hadn't drowned in Hurricane Sandy, I'd still have it. Money well spent.

Now my sister bought a used Chevy Traverse about 2 years ago, no ext warranty. She called last week asking about a timing chain ... hers is in serious jeopardy. Traverse has only been around since 2008 and the timing is already bad.

My point? They don't build them like they used to. In my opinion, a lifetime warranty on a late model vehicle is money well spent. Your Cherokee ain't no XJ! Just read the fine print.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

just dont expect to get fixed quickly

mechanics make less on warranty work, so not a whole lot of incentive for them to do it.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by rzldzl

mechanics make less on warranty work, so not a whole lot of incentive for them to do it.
I can attest to that! When my Nissan pickup went in for wheel bearings, WHEEL BEARINGS, they took a week. It was only after I called and got ahold of the shop manager they did the work. I called that shop 3 times before that and got some bs answer.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Extended warranty? Here's my take on that.

Bought my 92 XJ in 2001 with 79k miles, sans warranty and ran/wheeled it until 2016 with zero major issues. None. Bought a used '02 Durango + ext 5 year warranty ($550) some years ago. A few weeks (less than 2 months) after having the D, the tranny went. Not long after that I broke a front axle. Got both issues fixed with no out of pocket cost. Guardian Warranty barely questioned the claim. I couldn't have afforded either repair out of pocket because I had (have) a bad Jeep habit. And the repairs cost way more than what I spent for that warranty. If the Durango hadn't drowned in Hurricane Sandy, I'd still have it. Money well spent.

Now my sister bought a used Chevy Traverse about 2 years ago, no ext warranty. She called last week asking about a timing chain ... hers is in serious jeopardy. Traverse has only been around since 2008 and the timing is already bad.

My point? They don't build them like they used to. In my opinion, a lifetime warranty on a late model vehicle is money well spent. Your Cherokee ain't no XJ! Just read the fine print.

That's what I'm nervous about, one transmission issue (which the JC is known for) and any issues with the computer (since all newer models are basically computer systems now) then the warranty is worth it. 4,500 just seemed so high to me so I wasn't sure if there's a better warranty program out there that I can compare to. Mopar seems legit for the lifetime warranty but again, shopping for a warranty is very new to me.

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by rzldzl

Depends on where he lives or goes for repairs. Som non urban areas tend to be quicker since business is slower. But then it's a dealership warranty so ...
Slip the tech some "incentive" especially if it's a big job ... be smart & if they see you as an asset - or potential asset, they go to bat for you.