Manual Winches????

Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Manual Winches????

I saw a winch similiar to this one
Amazon.com: Neiko Heavy-Duty 5-Ton Come-a-long Power Puller - 3 Hooks and 2 Gears: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Neiko Heavy-Duty 5-Ton Come-a-long Power Puller - 3 Hooks and 2 Gears: Home Improvement
. Does anybody have expirence with these? It will be a while before i can afford a real winch and figured for $40 it would be cheap insurance, i didn't buy it but am considering it. Am i wrong and these things total POSs? Advice would be very apreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

That's the only kind of winch I've had for the past 15 years and it will get you out of a mess.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I used them for years too. Lots of work. Makes you think twice about getting stuck
Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Have one. Its handy if you need it, but requires alot of support gear tho...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Very handy to have, and cheaper than a Warn by more than a few hundred bucks. I've used a hand crank winch on a car trailer before, it looked a lot like the wench on a boat trailer, it worked great and pulled a two ton truck with flat tires up on a trailer with just a little effort and sweat. Even if you have a good power winch, a come-a-long is still a good thing to have with you.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

They are NOT a replacement for a good powered winch. But it will get you out of a minor stuck situation, when used with a good ****** block or 2.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

i personally WOULD NOT buy that come-along. i've been through many come-alongs over the years using them for my jeep and commercial applications. When buying something like a come-along you really don't want to cheap out. and unfortunately $40 for a 5ton come-along is to good to be true. i bought the 4 ton come-along from harbor freight (looks just like the one in your link) just to have a spare laying around. Well when it came time for me to actually need the thing i hooked it up and got maybe about 5 cranks before the whole frame of the thing completely twisted and the thing seized up. i couldn't even get it to ratchet cable out, i had to wait for a buddy to come pull me out before i could even get thing unhooked.....MORAL OF THE STORY? buy a quality come-along and they will be GREAT! they are amazingly strong and simple to use. you just have to make sure you get yourself a LUG-ALL brand comealong. http://https://store.lug-all.com/products.asp here is a link to their online store. if you are on a budget i wouldn't suggest buying one of these things new since they are like 3 or 4 hundred bucks. BUT THEY WORK and will always work for you. we use our come-alongs to raise sunken boats and in the marine environment some of our come-alongs are 10 years old and still work great. I found a 3 or 4 ton LUG-ALL come-along on ebay for $50 one time and it still works great so that were i would suggest looking for a good quality used one. hope this little essay helps! wish i could bring myself to write this much for college lol
Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Originally Posted by 96xj4x4
i personally WOULD NOT buy that come-along. i've been through many come-alongs over the years using them for my jeep and commercial applications. When buying something like a come-along you really don't want to cheap out. and unfortunately $40 for a 5ton come-along is to good to be true. i bought the 4 ton come-along from harbor freight (looks just like the one in your link) just to have a spare laying around. Well when it came time for me to actually need the thing i hooked it up and got maybe about 5 cranks before the whole frame of the thing completely twisted and the thing seized up. i couldn't even get it to ratchet cable out, i had to wait for a buddy to come pull me out before i could even get thing unhooked.....MORAL OF THE STORY? buy a quality come-along and they will be GREAT! they are amazingly strong and simple to use. you just have to make sure you get yourself a LUG-ALL brand comealong. http://https://store.lug-all.com/products.asp here is a link to their online store. if you are on a budget i wouldn't suggest buying one of these things new since they are like 3 or 4 hundred bucks. BUT THEY WORK and will always work for you. we use our come-alongs to raise sunken boats and in the marine environment some of our come-alongs are 10 years old and still work great. I found a 3 or 4 ton LUG-ALL come-along on ebay for $50 one time and it still works great so that were i would suggest looking for a good quality used one. hope this little essay helps! wish i could bring myself to write this much for college lol
Link doesn't work.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

my bad, here you go guys http://www.ematerialhandling.com/mat...able_hoist.htm this one should work.. i forgot that on the actual lug-all parts site you have to sign up as a member and log in to be able view the catalog and order from them, its kind of a strange way of doing things...looking at this site, the model number 4000-20 is cheaper than i thought. just a little tip with these things, if you buy one buy a spare handle from the lug all store, there only $20. i say this because the handles are built to fold over before the cable snaps or does any damage to the gears of the come-along. IMO the handles seem to week and i've bent a few of them. so either buy an extra handle or fab your own stronger handle and this things work great