Info about CB antennas

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The PO of my XJ had a CB system installed,but removed most of the components before he sold it to me.

What I have to work with is an antenna mount on the side of the rear quarter and the coax cable already installeed. I've ordered a CB unit (Midland 1001z) and now need to find an antenna. With the mount and coax I already have,does it look like I can get away with just buying a fiberglass antenna and be done with it,or am I gonna need more components? It appears the antenna end of the coax already has an adapter....

Do the fiberglass antennas need a spring for flexing situations...What about an additional ground?
Attached Thumbnails Info about CB antennas-839.jpg  

Last edited by 90_cherokee; 10-27-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ltr

As long as the mount is making good contact with the body then your ground should be fine. By the looks of it I would remove the mount and clean it up a bit and make sure that is good bare metal contact. If you want to run a ground wire do it on the back side (inside the vehicle) and make sure the metal contacts are clean.

You can get whatever antenna you want, but I would suggest a spring with a fiberglass antenna. For best results I would suggest a 102" whip antenna, however this is not always a good choice on a trail. If you are just wanting trail comms then a shorter antenna will be fine.

With the connection from the coax to the antenna make sure you put a rubber/plastic washer between the bottom of the spring and the mount. I would also suggest cleaning up the mounting area of the mount, and the connections for the coax.