Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

I'm new to jeeps but with questions about the XJ

Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new to jeeps but with questions about the XJ

I'm new to jeeps but not new to the automotive hobby, I've just decided to do something new. I have been doing a lot of reading on the site to learn what I can to be informed about buying an XJ. The XJ I buy will be a daily driver, the questions I have I hope make sense......

1. I am interested in the 97-99 year Cherokee I like the look of it, I have read many people say the 98-99 years are the best years. Is there any problems with the 97 model year that make it less desirable?
Correct me if I am wrong Isn't 1997 the first year of OBD II? I also read that the transmission was special to that year and would have some trouble swapping an earlier model if needed.

2. I have found some 1996 model year XJ's some nice and some not....I read that 96 was the transition year from OBD I to OBD II. If this is correct does this cause any repair or swaping issues or problems.

3. I have seen many 2001's for sale I know about the 0331 head casting issue swapping a head doesn't worry me, are there other issues that would stop a person from buying one.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:50 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by old dog 61
I'm new to jeeps but not new to the automotive hobby, I've just decided to do something new. I have been doing a lot of reading on the site to learn what I can to be informed about buying an XJ. The XJ I buy will be a daily driver, the questions I have I hope make sense......

1. I am interested in the 97-99 year Cherokee I like the look of it, I have read many people say the 98-99 years are the best years. Is there any problems with the 97 model year that make it less desirable?
Correct me if I am wrong Isn't 1997 the first year of OBD II? I also read that the transmission was special to that year and would have some trouble swapping an earlier model if needed.

2. I have found some 1996 model year XJ's some nice and some not....I read that 96 was the transition year from OBD I to OBD II. If this is correct does this cause any repair or swaping issues or problems.

3. I have seen many 2001's for sale I know about the 0331 head casting issue swapping a head doesn't worry me, are there other issues that would stop a person from buying one.
1.) I don't really think the 97' is bad. Its just the first year of the interior redesign and electronics if I'm not mistaken. People sometimes don't like first year vehicles after major changes. Honestly I'd rather get a 97 over most 99's because of the 0331 cylinder which WILL crack no matter what anyone says. I just wouldn't trust it.

2.) No help there

3.) I like the 2000-2001 model years. I have a 2000 and yes it did get the Cylinder Head crack but it only had 88k miles when i bought it. No leaks anywhere, new A/C components, zero Rust, etc. But if you negotiate the bad cylinder head in the price and everything else checks out you can have that repaired for under 500.00 easily with a brand new stronger cast Cylinder head, new gaskets, etc.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the information, I don't really go for the 1st. year of a redesign myself,
but It's not like the XJ wasn't a proven platform, but I would consider a 97 I am just looking at this time I'm in no hurry I have a great daily now.
When you are hunting for a vehicle time is your best friend. I'm keeping an eye on prices in my area and surrounding states, so I can make a informed purchase.
This site has A LOT of helpful information, I've made lots of notes.Does the 2000 have the chipped key/vehicle anti-theft?
Old 08-18-2016, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

96 is the year they switched to obdII. i personally have a 96 and while it's subjective, it's my favorite year because of many factors. overall i like the older body style a lot more, no power anything so messing around with resoldering circuits and whatnot, has airbags, OBDII for easier diagnostic and compatibility with bluetooth devices, has the chrysler 8.25 with 29 splines on the later models instead of 27 (it's hit or miss, usually 96 made after august will have the better shafts). probably missing some but that's what you need to know about it.

its downfall is the fact it's a transition year, so from my experience many parts, mostly sensors, have to be for a 97. from the top of my head the TPS and coolant temp sensor had to be from the 97 year. i also find it difficult to find a factory service manual for the 96. most online manuals sold as a 96 are in reality 97.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

You did study and the yr choice of 97-99 is good with the 99 the best of all the old with a lot of the new also. The 00/01 have a LPD30 which is a bit of a problem if you off road much, but many just swap them out for a HP one from an earlier model.

I searched for about 6mo. before I found my 99 sport (that was the only yr. I wanted and found it out of state) rust/dent free only mod was a crap 3" lift I took off in 2 weeks after I got it. This was over 5 yrs ago and I paid $1800 for it, it did need brakes, windshield (cracked). headliner all under $375 done by a shop.

Just take your time and keep looking found mine on craigslist.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:03 PM

After all of the reading I know rust can be a real issue so, I like the look of the 97-99 but they are still between 17 to 19 years old. Nice ones are being priced high but I'm not going to pay $6,000 for one. There are others out there but my wife says buy now It's a nice one. However we have the time, I set my time to buy after christmas and budget for the XJ is at $3000 to $3500 for a decent one. Because IF I buy now the RIGHT one will come up a month later. I am in a learning mode so I'll be doing a lot of reading here and asking questions. I am smart enough to know that I don't know. I do most of my own work so I am ready for a new project.
I would not have a problem with a 96 if I found a clean one for the right price.

I've been involved with cars since I was 14, I did muscle cars in the late 70's and early-mid 80's. Then had 3 Toyota 4X4's after that not just much raising a family.
About 2010 I built an import which I still drive today it's fast.... BUT I am TIRED of climbing down into it so NOW It's a Jeep for me.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

C'mon, we all know 98 is the best model year xj that ever existed.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

there is nothing wrong with a 97. have a plan for the transmission should it give up. once every 18-20 years isn't bad. at 290k miles I'm convinced my factory installed trans will outlive everything else mechanical.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:29 PM

So the transmissions are that reliable....no real concerns? I know there two types of transfer cases a NP 231 and NP 242. The 231 is used a lot and has a solid track record, how about the 242 any advantages to it.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The "best year" topic is such a nit-picky subject yet many people would have you believe it's such a major decision that you don't want to mess up.

The following is all completely excluding all 4 cyl and diesel XJ's. The diesels are rare and pretty crappy. The 4 cyl's are basically 4.0 I6's with 2 fewer cylinders.

84-86 -- GM V6. Crummy engine. Stylish interiors sometimes.

87-90 -- Renix 4.0's. As the 4.0 goes, these are as great as any other with some finnicky traits that are easily dealt with especially if you familiarize yourself with Cruiser's Renix Tips. Most Renix interiors have the most style imo.

91-94 -- OBDI 4.0.

95+ -- Driver airbag introduced. OBD1

96+ -- OBDII. There is NO SUCH THING as an OBDI 96. All vehicles were required to be OBDII as of 1996. 96's produced very late can have things like different colored wiring or maybe a 97+ fuel pump+filter. I had a 96. I never encountered anything unexpected. It was not a bizarre Rubic's cube of transitional insanity that some seem to think they are.

97 -- The only thing significantly unique about this year is the automatic transmission, and its uniqueness lies in its control module. VERY few 97 owners will ever have to even know this, and the few that find themselves having to care will be just fine.

97+ -- Face-lifted body and interior. Driver AND passenger air bag. My current XJ is a 97, and again, no problems with any so-called "transition year" or first-year problems. If I told you that it was a 98, you and everyone else would believe me and would have to go as far as looking at the wiring and pigtails (or just cheating and looking at the VIN) in order to have a chance of proving that I was lying.

99+ -- A different intake manifold that people who never do good dyno testing believe works miracles. People who DO dyno test properly compare them and generally say things like, "Hmm. That didn't really do much if anything at all, huh?"

00+ -- Coil packs instead of a distributor. 0331 head that everyone loves to chime in about which might crack tomorrow, or it might crack in 10 years. I guess just be prepared to swap the head--it's not the expensive and is quite easy especially on this engine. Low-pinion D30 front axles which only matter (in a negative sense) for lifted off-roaders.

All years -- ABS brakes were quite optional throughout the years, so don't just assume you're getting or not getting them. The auto transmissions are all solid. Some of the early manual transmissions are so-so to even sucky, but you're highly unlikely to come across any of them anyway. The transfer cases both equally solid.
If you want a reliable daily driver that minimizes how much tinkering you'll have to do, buy 91+. If you REALLY want to maximize reliability and do everything you can to avoid rust, I've been told that 97 also had improved corrosion resistance treatments for the metal which I'm inclined to believe based on what I see on the roads around me, but I see plenty of rotten 97+'s, so if that improvement IS true, it's certainly not a game-changer.

If you want my opinion in different words from almost 2 years ago, here they are.

There is not one single year I would avoid. I even love 84-86 and know exactly what kind of fun I'd have with one of those (Buick 3800 swap eventually).

Guys whose only advice to you is "buy a 99" aren't really helping you much. Some of them just blindly regurgitate that because they read it somewhere when researching Jeeps, and they don't even know why. There are some reasons that 99 is a particularly favored year, but it might be that NONE of them matter to YOU. I mean, what do you want to do with your Cherokee? Is it just going to be a daily driver? Will you wheel it? If so, how often? How hard? What kind (mud, sand, rocks)? Are there any particular modifications/upgrades you'd want to do to it?

I think some people's obsession with 99 is a bit disrespectful to how great all the other XJ's are. Even the 00 and 01 XJ's are worthy of respect that is often denied to them by many. You really can't lose. Many minor and some major changes were made between 84 and 01. I'm sure you can find a list of all the changes out there somewhere; I know I found that info myself once upon a time.

Aside from the normal stuff to look out for with ANY used car, be aware that 84-86 XJ's had GM engines that pale in comparison to the 4.0 of 87-01 (I'm just ignoring the 4 cyl engines that some XJ's had). The pre-91 Renix systems are a bit ... "special" and simply something to be aware of and ready to work with if you're looking at one. 00-01 4.0's have a head with a casting flaw that may or may not crack between cyl 3 and 4. Many of them never crack (or at least haven't after hundreds of thousands of miles), but many do. It's something to watch-out for but not something that should keep you away completely, and you should be aware that identical heads without the casting flaw are out there should you have a crack. The manual trannies are solid as are the autos. The two possible transfer cases are both great. There are a variety of rear ends each with their own advantages and disadvantages, and unless you're planning on doing lots of wheeling, even the weakest of the bunch (D35) will be just peachy. The floor pans are easily the most susceptible to rust on all years. Because of the limited space for a radiator, XJ's are just barely able to maintain their operating temperature, so you have very little room to slack on maintaining the cooling system; luckily the cooling system is a reliable as any other part of the 4.0, so it's not likely to require much work (and any work will be relatively cheap). The stock exhaust manifold cracks easily which can impact the performance and efficiency of your engine negatively. APN makes a replacement header that is a very affordable replacement should you ever need/want one (there are other header options out there as well).

It is my opinion that if you get an XJ with a 4.0 from 91-99, you have virtually nothing but cheap regular maintenance to worry about. If you get an 00 or 01, you just have to make sure to never overheat it (as if you'd ever be OK with overheating any engine), and to pay closer attention to the oil and coolant "health."

P.S. I had a 96 and never had a single problem finding parts. Mine was built early on in August of 95, but I still think the whole "transition year" thing is way overblown. How can people pretend like there is a hair-tuggingly frustrating difference between 95 and 97 when there's hardly any impenetrable differences between 1987 and 1999? Yeah, there are differences, but they don't require one to be a rocket scientist to know and cope with them. Something to be aware of, sure, but the idea that someone would even consider avoiding 96 because it is a "transition year" is absolutely absurd to me. I feel the same way about the 0331 head thing as well--I'd be aware of it, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a really nice 00/01.

P.S. There's also this. http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f6...eed-know-5719/

Love,
M

Last edited by mschi772; 08-18-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

To me 91-99 are the best years,And find one as virgin and as clean as you can afford to buy.The np242 is a awd t case its great in a daily driver and pretty good off road.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So the transmissions are that reliable....no real concerns? I know there two types of transfer cases a NP 231 and NP 242. The 231 is used a lot and has a solid track record, how about the 242 any advantages to it.
no, I have no real concerns at this point. I'm very meticulous about maintenance and repair work. anything I do is better than factory install, if possible. I'd trust this jeep anywhere, any time, in any weather condition. for me the only issue I could possibly foresee is the fuel pump. at this point in time it fires instantly and has 50 lb of pressure. i prefer the np231 bc of its simplicity and proven longevity. I feel that any jeep post 86 has the capability of being problem free, with the upper hand given to the 91-99. I like the 97+ the most bc of the cosmetic updates inside and out. 00 and 01 are not terrible by comparison but seem to have more issues ie heads, hot start issues, coil pack issues to name a couple. mine has been rock solid since 129k miles. I lend a big portion of that to my mechanical ocd care of the vehicle.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:24 AM

Thank you mschi772 that's great information and very helpful, when you are in my position and know nothing about Cherokee's at all. The link you gave is super helpful more information than I can make notes of ....so I am just going to print it off and add to my file folder.
Information is useful....accurate information is priceless.

The 242 transfer case is an AWD transfer case can some one explain the difference for me ???

I like to do all of my maintenance, for a daily driver I go through all I can and fix, replace or repair things and be pro active on maintenance, I like to have a known beginning baseline to start from. Then I am comfortable to go anywhere that is why I am looking for a stock XJ and not a lifted jeep, I know nothing about lifting a jeep. I've seen some nice ones but I'm not taking a chance on something i don't know anything about
Old 08-19-2016, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/231...-25113/index4/
Old 08-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Thank you andrewmp6 I read the whole thing it makes sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm new to jeeps but with questions about the XJ