Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I thought I would disc. the links to measure for bump stops... splined bolt removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I thought I would disc. the links to measure for bump stops... splined bolt removal?

and i couldnt get the link off, its a fixed link, but thought that I could remove the bottom nut and slide it over. That wasnt happening. So i thought, Ok im going to go get the torch, air hammer, hammer and other tools to get that splined bolt out of there.

yeah.. that didnt happen at all, it didnt budge in the least bit. ended up stepping up from 1/8" to 1/2", burning up some bits and swearing along the way.

So now I got a 1/2" hole there. I went half cause it fit really nice in the sway bar link sleeve. and the old bolt I cut off wouldnt fit through a 7/16 hole, and moved around a bit in the half. Plan is to get a 1/2" bolt and slide it on through and when i want to remove the sway bar link I will just carry around the proper wrench and socket to remove that lower bolt, then I should have no issue swinging the link up and tie it off.

I havent even touched the other side yet. wondering best way to pull that splined bolt? without buying 20 bucks in drill bits, or even more.