Sponsored by: DashLynx

I always plan out ahead...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I always plan out ahead...

Really far ahead lol

Ok, so here's the deal. I have yet to buy a cherokee (funds permitting will be by the end of the summer/early fall), and I'm already looking at what I would want to put on it. I've never done anything with Jeeps (besides driving a not so great '97 wrangler at one point) and I'm already pricing parts to the best of my ability/knowledge. Which is where you kind folks come in to make sure I can go ahead without any useless spending.

I've put together a 'wish' list of parts from some companies for a 4.5" lift. My aim is to get what is the best quality and the easiest to install with the help of my grease-monkey brother. So here is the list:

Craigslist/Online deals:
-15x8" Cragar Soft 8 black wheels.
-33x12.50" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM tires (I know I'll need to do some trimming and folding)

Rusty's:
-XJ Adj. front lower and upper control arms w/ Forged Flex ends.
-XJ Adj. wrenches for all of the control arms.
-XJ 4.5" lifted quick disconnect front sway bar.

Rough Country:
-4.5" X-Series XJ Lift kit (The lower arms from this kit will be extras).
-XJ Perf. Steering stabilizer shock.
-XJ Control arm drop kit.
-XJ SYE kit and CV drive shaft (I don't plan to use the transfer case drop kit that comes with the 4.5" X-Series lift kit, or at least best not to use it for long).

So, does this list look viable? I'm not too keen on buying just one kit to later upgrade a part that I could have just bought in the beginning

Thanks for the comments/constructive criticism!

Last edited by Bubba; 04-09-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Model: Cherokee

I guess I'm just gonna have to get these parts in the summer then, since you all think it is just too good to reply to.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:28 PM

Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

hey, give us some time to reply, man. it's only after 12:00 after a heavy friday night of brews and babes. gosh... lol

my take on the parts you have listed:

wheels: not a bad option. at the 4.5" of lift, you may conceder some minor fender trimming with the 33's. nothing too crazy though.

lift kit and parts: you will probably not need the control arm drop brackets at 4.5" of lift. usually, anything around the 6.5" mark is when you conceder them if you are not doing a long arm kit. also, quite a few guys are starting to have issues with Rusty's parts not being as reliable. don't know what would be causing it, but you may want to double check on those parts. if anything, if you go with the 4.5 X-Series lift from Rough Country, you won't need to buy all these extras. the kit will come with just about everything, minus the SYE and driveshaft. a lot of guys are starting to swear by the Rough Country kits and other parts, plus they won't kill your wallet as fast as some others out there.

also, as a side note for when you buy the jeep, try to find one with the non-disconnect hi-pinion Dana30 front axle. much better front drive shaft angles for wheeling and lifting., and if you can, find one with the 8.25 rear axle, which is much better than the Dana35. some even came with a Dana44 on the rear, which is prized amongst many, but for your lift/tire combo, not a total necessity.

just my 2cents, and good luck finding the jeep!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Go for it!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Yeah on the drop brackets. You don't need them.
I've ran a Rusty's 4.5" lift since 05. No issues what so ever. I just installed front upper control arms about a month ago. The only thing I dislike of Rusty's are the shocks. They come with the lift kits though.
I've also done Rusty's HD Trac bar package. And steering conversion. All of which have worked great. Keep in mind your gearing though. 3.55 with 33" tires is horrible. No power and gas mileage is aweful. Look into regearing to 4.10 or 4.56. I think 4.56 is the way to go.
I'm running the Crager 8's and 33" BFG MT kmII's. Had to trim a little. But so minor you don't notice it. It'll rub still when articulated certain ways. But again that rub is really minor. I did manage to tear off my drive side back fender flare (factory not aftermarket one). But that was operator error ie me.
Over all I'm really happy with Rusty's stuff and how it performs. I do like the Rancho RSX shocks much better. Nice ride and perfomance and the cost isn't horrible (cost is relevant I know).
My previous Xj had a RE 4.5" lift. Also was nice. But I still like the Rusty's a bit better. Feels firmer.
I love Rusty's customer service. Can't beat it. I'll pay extra for U.S product and customer service. If your not going to do the work yourself. I suggest finding a shop you think you can trust.
I would also suggest to stick with newer model XJ's. 1999-2001. That's a personal preference thing tho. The axles are better and high pinion front and transfer case. I also like the distributorless 2000 and 2001 models.
They don't seems to rattle and make all the funny noises that people generally complain about. Don't get me wrong. You'll still get them. Especially the tail gate. But it's just talkin to ya.
This jeep thing really is a decease. I tried to shake it once but it lasted a whole 3 months. Have fun with it. I have found the jeeps that I've owned to be the most reliable and wicked fun.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

the only reason there are less noises is they are still "new". mine is an 87 and the only noise that bugs me is wind noise around the dry window seals and the tailgate trim rattling. i have to re-tighten the screws every three weeks or so
Old 04-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

sounds good man