Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

How bad would a JY lift look with stock tires?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Default How bad would a JY lift look with stock tires?

Thinking of doing a JY bastard pack and front coils this Spring. The S10 leafs are supposed to give 4.5-5" of lift. But I am thinking it might look pretty cheesy until I can put the money into upgraded wheels and tires.

My other thought is just doing adjustable shackles and coil spacers for about 1.75-2" of lift.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

5" of lift is gonna look pretty funny with stock tires, best bet is to wait till u got money for some tires and do it right. or go with your second option and just go with a small lift and the stock tires would look fine, you can always add more lift in the future
Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
5" of lift is gonna look pretty funny with stock tires, best bet is to wait till u got money for some tires and do it right. or go with your second option and just go with a small lift and the stock tires would look fine, you can always add more lift in the future
I am beginning to lean the same way.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Engine: 4.0

There are a lot of variables to the JY bastard pack. I have a s10 pack and it only gave me 3-ish inches

Do a google search for junkyard lift or bastard pack, there is a whole bunch of information, on both this forum and the net.

Some things to think about.

If your leaf springs are sagging, adding a shackle will wear them out quickly. I had a buddy who put shackles on his sagging rear and his leafs were almost inverted in a month.

If you are on a budget, 3" is a good number. You can lift the jeep with leafs, coils, shocks and probably a TC drop. Handling will still be decent, and stock tires wont look like crap. You can also run 31" tires. Over 3" things start to get a little more complicated and expensive.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mdcmn7
There are a lot of variables to the JY bastard pack. I have a s10 pack and it only gave me 3-ish inches

Do a google search for junkyard lift or bastard pack, there is a whole bunch of information, on both this forum and the net.

Some things to think about.

If your leaf springs are sagging, adding a shackle will wear them out quickly. I had a buddy who put shackles on his sagging rear and his leafs were almost inverted in a month.

If you are on a budget, 3" is a good number. You can lift the jeep with leafs, coils, shocks and probably a TC drop. Handling will still be decent, and stock tires wont look like crap. You can also run 31" tires. Over 3" things start to get a little more complicated and expensive.
Yep, Thank you. I have been, and will continue to do more research. I know you do not have to add all of the leafs from the bastard pack, if you want less lift. Shooting for 3" might be the best way to go for now.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

If I were you I would look around on the web to get information on the bastard pack lift. Make a parts list of everything you need and start getting it. While your getting parts, check thru a few local forums for tires. I got my 31" with rims for 200 of greatlakes4x4. The guy dropped them off at my house too. Just gotta keep looking around and hop on a deal before anyone else does. A 5" lift with stock tires would look real funny! Good luck with the lift!