Horrible experience with AJ's Offroad Armor

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Horrible experience with AJ's Offroad Armor

Well it all starts on Nov 29, 2010. I paid for and ordered a winch bumper and some rock rails from AJ's Offroad. I received the rock rails within a few weeks but after a ton of delays I didn't receive the bumper until just yesterday. That is 22 weeks, when AJ originally told me 5 WEEKS when I ordered it.

The bumper showed up and I was just happy that it got here. After looking at it though it sure as heck is NOT a beefy bumper. There was a dent in it from shipping in an area that I think should definitely be boxed in for strength.
Name:  utf-8BRGVudC5qcGc.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  43.2 KB
Any little nudge on the trail is going to bend that piece of steel again like nothing.

Also look at the rest of the underside. The whole thing should be boxed in IMO.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDA0ODYtMjAxMDA0MjYtMTcyN.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  65.5 KB

I got the dent out with almost no effort because the steel is so thin and not reinforced at all.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDA0ODUtMjAxMDA0MjYtMTcyN.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  65.5 KB
This is the underside that will be the first to hit something on the trail.

Now with all that aside, when I ordered it I specifically asked AJ to make sure there would be tabs to mount lights on. I even referred back to my emails and confirmed that we spoke about that. The bumper showed up with no tabs on it.

Also as per AJ's site there is supposed to be a crossmember support bracket. I don't have one one of those. Also as per AJ's site winch bumpers are supposed to have hardware provided with nut strips, etc. I didn't get any hardware with my bumper whatsoever. I just got a bumper.

So pretty well what I got after waiting for 5 months is an incomplete bumper and not even the proper hardware to attempt to install it. I can say I'm the furthest thing from pleased with my experience with AJ's Offroad Armor, and I'm just giving a heads up to guys who want a nice sturdy piece. This is definitely not that. My Detours rear bumper/carrier is built unbelievably compared to this thing. If I install this as it came I wouldn't dare use my winch for fear of what would happen to the bumper or the front of my Jeep.

If all you're looking for is a nice looking Mall Crawler bumper then I guess this bumper is for you. It sure looks nice in pictures, but that's about it.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

get your money back when you buy something like that always find a distributor shipping/receiving 9 times outta 10 results in problems
Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Did you call AJ and give him an opportunity to make it right with the missing parts? I do know he and his daughter were forced out of their home because of a fire... he's trying to get back on track... and orders have been delayed.

I cant speak on the quality of his product however... never seen one up close that i remember.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Did you call AJ and give him an opportunity to make it right with the missing parts?
I've sent him a few emails with my concerns. I like having things documented to keep track.

I sure as heck would hope he makes it right with the missing hardware, but I don't see what he can do about the incomplete parts that were not welded on. I'm now going to have to pay someone locally to add that on. I would think that after making someone wait as long as I did, he would make sure things were all in line before sending it out. So now it's just MORE waiting because of AJ's Offroad.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Update.

I still don't have the hardware from AJ, so I still can't mount my bumper.

He told me the bumper not having light tabs on it is my fault because I didn't notice in the pictures that he sent me. I guess as the customer it is your job to do AJ's quality control for him.

He also refuses to do anything to make up for me having to pay someone local to put the tabs on, or for the fact that it is over 5 months later and I still can't put the bumper on my Jeep.

I can honestly say that going through AJ's Offroad is one of the worst experiences as a customer I have ever had. This is coming from someone who has spent upwards of $30,000 in aftermarket parts on my current vehicle and the one before it. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Year: 1991

You pay with a credit card? Stop payment, dispute the charges.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

Thread subscribed. Im in the bumper market right now...thanks for posting all of this.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Nice info, going to keep up with this thread to see how it goes.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

why do you have to have hardware from him? just go to the store and pick up what you need.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
why do you have to have hardware from him? just go to the store and pick up what you need.

Something tells me the local hardware store wont have the proper crossmember support bracket that the winch bumper comes with.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Year: 1988

Kind of the principle of things. Shouldn't have to if you buy a bumer that includes hardware.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

I think the point is he paid for the bumper with hardware, so he wants the hardware he paid for. Why should he have to go out of his way to mount the bumper.

On a side note if that bumper was laying at my house, I couldnt resist not coming up with something to mount it.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 PM

Year: 1989

Being in this business for over 9 years, problems arise from time to time, it's just the nature of things. Since I'm a small operation, any problem that arises is something I take very seriously and do what I can to work them out with the customer provided that we have an open line of communication.

There is no open line of communication with this customer, not when he is leaving me with no opportunity to make anything right. He has formed his own opinions, drawing conclusions and then instead of speaking with me directly to resolve this has gone on a public and bashed my product. What exactly am I supposed to do?

On 3/5 I received the following....
AJ,

Well being that I ordered and paid for it over 3 months ago, just having pictures of a bumper doesn't really mean anything to me.

It's getting a bit ridiculous at this point. If this is how long you make people wait you shouldn't be taking full payment from them right off the hop.

So being that all I'll have next week is pictures that means I'm still a few weeks (at least) away from having my bumper. That makes it a 4 month wait for a single bumper. Pretty outrageous.

Dana

My response...

Unfortunately I have no control over events beyond my control. What exactly would you like me to do at this point?

AJ

To clarify one point. I do NOT ask for payment up front on any bumpers, even one off customs. It was his decision to pay in advance. If he was no longer willing to wait, a full refund would have been issued no questions asked.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

ping
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 PM

Year: 1989

On 4/26 he received the bumper and sent me this email....

AJ,

Words can't even described how pissed off I am right now. This is hands down the worst transaction I have ever had, and I've been into cars for years and have spent 10's of thousands of dollars modifying them with aftermarket parts.

I looked back at our emails and I sent you this,

"Hey AJ,

I forgot to make sure the bumper comes with tabs to mount some lights like in the pic."

And you replied,

"Dana,

Absolutely will put light tabs on it!"

Guess what?!? My bumper doesn't have any light tabs on it!

Now all this time and I don't even have what I ordered? Then to add I can't even paint it yet like I had planned because I have to find someone and PAY them to put some light tabs on it like it was SUPPOSED to come with.

I honestly don't expect you to do anything about it because you made me wait 5 months already and still didn't do a single thing to make up for my poor experience, but I thought you should at least know I'm FAR from satisfied with my experience with AJ's Offroad. I'm always a pretty understanding guy and know ***** happens but this experience from front to back has been absolutely horrible.

Dana

Followed by this email...

And look it's even dented too. I would've thought that front angle would've at least been boxed in for strength. An offroad bumper that can't even take shipping without bending it?

This just keeps getting better.

My response....

Dana,

The hardware was shipped separately via the post office.

As far as the dent you indicated in the previous email, contact FedEx
and file a damage claim. You may find it hard to believe but in 9
years, that's only the 2nd bumper I've seen damaged in shipping. The
previous one to that had a 1/4" tab bent 90degrees, so shipping
companies are capable of damaging anything. Suppose if I built an
indestructible bumper, the trade off would it be weighing twice as
much.

You did give your "ok" on the final pics of the bumper prior to
shipping and I did offer you a complete refund if you were unwilling to
wait. At this point I can clearly see there is absolutely nothing I can
do that will make you happy. If you would like to return the bumper for
a refund let me know and I'll send you instructions on how to do so.

AJ

The light tabs missing are 100% my fault yes but when the customer outright says "I expect you to do nothing about it.." where does that leave me for a matter of resolving it? Nowhere.

The damage done by the shipper is an issue that needs to be taken up with FedEx Ground and I would have been more than willing to help with that. Think of this...in 9 years this is only the 2nd bumper I've seen damaged by the shipper. The other was a 1/4" thick tab bent completely over....something that would take a lot of effort with a 4lb maul to accomplish.

Quick Reply: Horrible experience with AJ's Offroad Armor