Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Help with buying a 99 Cherokee

Old 08-19-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help with buying a 99 Cherokee

Hey guys, I'm new on this forum so bare with me here. I have been looking into a 99 Cherokee sport, 4.5" rough country lift, 165k miles. Owner has sent some photos of underneath the jeep. Says it's clean of rust. However I can't interpret what is good and what isn't in the photos, I don't know the difference between the harmless stuff and the serious stuff. Can you all look at these photos and tell me if there's anything that looks of concern underneath?

I appreciate it
Old 08-19-2016, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Njshore732

Hey guys, I'm new on this forum so bare with me here. I have been looking into a 99 Cherokee sport, 4.5" rough country lift, 165k miles. Owner has sent some photos of underneath the jeep. Says it's clean of rust. However I can't interpret what is good and what isn't in the photos, I don't know the difference between the harmless stuff and the serious stuff. Can you all look at these photos and tell me if there's anything that looks of concern underneath?

I appreciate it
No rust is harmless. And I'm seeing alot of it in those pictures. Move along cuz who knows what else he's lying about
Old 08-19-2016, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If the rest of it is half as messed up as the "exhaust" I wouldn't hesitate to run away. When you locate one in at least acceptable condition it never hurts to pay a reputable mechanic $100 or so to look it over.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
If the rest of it is half as messed up as the "exhaust" I wouldn't hesitate to run away. When you locate one in at least acceptable condition it never hurts to pay a reputable mechanic $100 or so to look it over.
I appreciate you both! Good advice, ill for sure let this one go
Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I appreciate you both! Good advice, ill for sure let this one go
Wise decision.

For the future, yes rust is bad mmmkay, but surface rust can be dealt with. If you have questionable areas that look worse than surface rust, poke at it with a screwdriver. If it flakes or breaks through, keep walking. Although I doubt most sellers would like you poking at their ride with a screwdriver, LOL
Old 08-20-2016, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Theres two types of rust surface and crusty bad rust.I see a lot of surface rust but the last picture the left hand corner of the picture see that dark redish brown rust that is the bad rust,But its not that bad yet it can be taken care of it soon.I see a cheap short arm lift and a t case drop which kinda bothers me and makes me think what else he went the cheapest way on.How much is the jeep ?
Old 08-21-2016, 04:46 PM

Hey guys I decided to let that one go. Seemed like he was trying to hide a lot, refused to answer questions. However I've found another 2000 with 121k miles. Rebuilt title but has been repaired. 3 inch lift. Seems to be in good shape. He's sent me some photos of underneath, what do you think of this one, rust wise? Surface rust or deeper than that?
Old 08-22-2016, 12:46 AM
CF Veteran

The 00-01 are the years with the head that can crack so keep that in mind.The things i see wrong is the front diff pinion seal is leaking and with a rebuilt title the valve of it is less then something with a clean title.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Also the 00/01's had the LPD30 in front less desirable if lifted for both clearance and pinion angles. First year of doing away with distributors in favor of coil packs and the head was used that is known to crack.

But it doesn't appear rusty only factor is the title, it drops the valve by half at the least, and most all places will not loan on one.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

How much are they asking for either of them ?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
How much are they asking for either of them ?
The most recent one with little rust is $3300, potentially lower. It has the rebuilt title but I don't think he's going to budge on price. It has 121k miles and it seems to be in good shape other than he said the oil temp gauge sticks sometimes. How did you know the pinion seal is leaking? Where can you see that which picture? If I could get him down to $3000 is that still way too high? The head cracking worries me so I might pass on it regardless. Just asked him if he knows if it's been updated or not. Is the way to check for it easy or do you have to take things apart? Should I strive to stay in the 1997-1999 years to avoid big issues?
Here are more pictures of it-
Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The head cracking worries me so I might pass on it regardless. Just asked him if he knows if it's been updated or not. Is the way to check for it easy or do you have to take things apart? Should I strive to stay in the 1997-1999 years to avoid big issues?
if it has coil packs, it has the head that cracks, some 99s have em, but if its got a distributor, it doesnt have that head.

google 0331 head
Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

The 4th picture you posted that shows the front axle from the back,See where the driveshaft goes in the axle around that looks like wet and its black vs around it looks dirty.That wet spot is probably gear oil which can only leak from the pinion seal thats in that area.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
The 4th picture you posted that shows the front axle from the back,See where the driveshaft goes in the axle around that looks like wet and its black vs around it looks dirty.That wet spot is probably gear oil which can only leak from the pinion seal thats in that area.
Ok I got him to take a more up close photo of it, he said it probably is leaking. Is that an expensive repair? I'd have to drive this thing 4 hours home, is that something that would affect making the long trip? And does that all still just look like surface rust?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 PM

Here's a photo of under the hood as well, to me it looks fine, but to anyone with experience does anything look alarming?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with buying a 99 Cherokee