Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Heater problem help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater problem help

So I have been doing a lot of research and can't find anything for either my 94 cherokee xj or for the right year times. So my heater blows cold everywhere except defrost. And even on defrost isn't that great. I've flushed out the whole system and checked the hoses into the firewall and they both are hott as hell. I'm trying to find out if it's my blend door actuator or the heater core or what the problem could be. I want to check other things before jumping straight into removing the dash for the heater core. Any help would be nice. Pictures would be even better! Thanks again.

Also will throw in there that my AC works but when I get into high speeds it stops blowing through the vents and only goes through the defrost.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

If you have heat in defrost mode, then I have no reason to believe that it's not your blend door.

If you have heat in one mode, then you have heat. It's just not being routed properly.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
If you have heat in defrost mode, then I have no reason to believe that it's not your blend door. If you have heat in one mode, then you have heat. It's just not being routed properly.
When I move it to vent though it just blows out slight Luke warm air. And it always blows slightly like warm air through the lower feet level.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

I have the lukewarm air issue too.

I just replaced my heater core though and I should not have a bad heater core, it's another underlying issue.

Check to make sure there isn't air trapped in your system.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:31 PM

I have the lukewarm air issue too. I just replaced my heater core though and I should not have a bad heater core, it's another underlying issue. Check to make sure there isn't air trapped in your system.
So even after replaces your heater core you still have the Luke warm issue?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Navy_Jeep
So even after replaces your heater core you still have the Luke warm issue?
Heat was good before the heater core, but I replaced it because it was leaking.

I believe it was my error in re-filling the system that I didn't burp it properly and now I have air bubbles in my coolant system that need to be removed for the hot coolant to flow more properly.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:06 PM

Heat was good before the heater core, but I replaced it because it was leaking. I believe it was my error in re-filling the system that I didn't burp it properly and now I have air bubbles in my coolant system that need to be removed for the hot coolant to flow more properly.
Do you know how to get to the blend door? I have found some diagrams of it I think. Is there like a black cover on the passenger side underneath that if you remove then you can see everything?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Here.
Attached Thumbnails Heater problem help-blend-door-cable.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 06:18 PM

Well after much research and troubleshooting my idiotness didn't check the fuses and found out the fuse for the Blower motor was blown. Replaced that and heater s strong as hell! Just can't believe all that time and stressing over the fuse. Guess next time I'll remember to check that. Thank for all the help XJguy and Cruiser!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Navy_Jeep
Well after much research and troubleshooting my idiotness didn't check the fuses and found out the fuse for the Blower motor was blown. Replaced that and heater s strong as hell! Just can't believe all that time and stressing over the fuse. Guess next time I'll remember to check that. Thank for all the help XJguy and Cruiser!
So if the fuse was blown, doesn't that mean that your heat would have been insanely quiet?

It should be pretty loud now with that blower motor working again.

I'm glad you fixed the problem, now just to find out what's going on with mine lol.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:08 AM

So if the fuse was blown, doesn't that mean that your heat would have been insanely quiet? It should be pretty loud now with that blower motor working again. I'm glad you fixed the problem, now just to find out what's going on with mine lol.
Well I was distracted by the sound of the engine. My flowmasters. And the air flowing through when the heater was on. And have you checked all your fuses? lol
Old 10-03-2015, 11:29 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I have a 1998 Cherokee and I have the same/similar problem: No heat despite the hoses being warm (I stood in the rain and didn't wait until the engine was all the way hot, but it seems right.).
I just flushed the heater coil today and there wasn't a whole lot of stuff in it (or so it seems).
I get luck-warm air barely enough to keep the fog of the windshield when it rains. The A/C works... sometimes really great and sometimes it also seems luck warm.

It's already getting cold and we have a lot of fog out in the bushes. Any idea what that could be?

A mechanic checked every single fuse in both fuse boxes and all bad ones have been replaces. That fixed the cigarette lighter/power outlet issue, while the instrument lights are still dead.

Since some switches in this beast are dead, I was wondering if the ones for the heat etc are bad too!?