Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Have I Finally Come to My Senses? (Cold Feet About Building Dana 30)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Have I Finally Come to My Senses? (Cold Feet About Building Dana 30)

99 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 35's, frame stiffeners. New England wheeler. Likes to play in the rocks. Claims to be easy on the skinny pedal but has been known to bounce rev limiter.

I've been collecting parts for a badass dana 30 build for like 3 years. Countless of hours of research. I have 4.56 gears in boxes that have enough dust on them to write my name. WJ swap parts, truss, etc.

I already know the answer to this question. This isn't a question. This is an expression of my prior goals leaving and my newer, more expensive, dreams entering.

When I first bought my 35's a few years back I wanted my Jeep to be an adventure rig and run 35's with true-tracs or maybe lockers. After doing some research I determined that I had the self control to make a Dana 30 survive locked on aired down 35's in some sticky situations. I thought the guys blowing R+P's were some lead-footed hooligans who have more ***** than brains.

Fast forward to now, my goals have changed slightly but the more important point is I realized I don't have the self control to make a Dana 30 last. Stroking the 4.0, deeper t-case gears, armor and a cage, and lower tire pressures are all on my mind. Also more than that, my friends and I are planning trips to some pretty remote places (mostly up in Maine) where a grenaded R+P or fractured housing would mean a very intense recovery operation.

I need the cushion of bigger axles. I just don't think I trust the Dana 30 locked on 35's.

Here're the details on what I was/am planning:

-HP non-disco Dana 30 housing
-4.56 gears (would do 4.88 but already have the 4.56, plus tiny pinion)
-*ARB (wanted an e-locker for a long time but ARB)
-27 spline chromo's with full circle clips
-Solid diff cover
-Artec truss
-C gussets
-Plate control arm brackets, mini skids, etc
-Ruffstuff track bar bracket with Ruffstuff 1-ton tre crossover steering kit
-WJ brakes (EBC greenstuff pads, EBC rotors, Spicer ball joints, Timken wheelbearings)

*I already have all of these parts other than the ARB.

I really like 35's for a tire size. I could mayyybeee see myself go to 37's at some point but I really think I'd rather stay with 35's. Currently at about 6" of lift but I've been wanting to drop it down to 4.5-5" for awhile. My recent feelings have been building a Ford 44 and maybe a 9" rear to match. A close friend of mine has a '76 F150 and has been talking about getting 60's for it. I haven't had the chance to see if its the correct factory axle under it. If it is I could have a chance to scoop that up relatively cheap.

What're your thoughts and experiences? Am I finally coming to the dark side or am I just scared? I'd hate to polish the turd and have the thing give out on me like a year later. You guys might have a parts dump coming.

Last edited by XJlimitedx99; 06-18-2019 at 07:51 AM.